Preowned Revue turns out to be on 2.1 - what should I do?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

Koofteh
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Preowned Revue turns out to be on 2.1 - what should I do?

Post by Koofteh »

Quick story: I wanted to pick up a Revue for cheap, emailed one guy for $80 but while waiting for a reply I made the mistake of going to Logitech's forums, all the negative reports turned me off so I didn't buy that one. Saw a different ad a week later and offered $60 thinking that was low enough that I could risk buying a dud.

So I go and pick it up today, unit is mint and everything, only thing missing is the HDMI cable. I get home and plug it in, and lo and behjold it's still on 2.1. I got excited and jumped up and down in disbelief, then I realized I don't even know if this is a good thing or not.

It didn't prompt me to update since I wasn't hooked up to my network yet, but the build definitely says 2.1 and there's no Market or Play Store to be found.

So what do I do now? I'm definitely not up to modding the hardware to root. Should I update it? Is there any benefits to rooting a Revue like an Android phone? Hulu and stuff are blocked for me either way since I'm in Canada. I'm also reading on Logitech's boards that 2.1 was flat out more stable and reliable compared to Honeycomb in terms of Flash or local video playback.

Help me out here, I can't let it sit their idle for too long. :P
Koofteh
Android 1.0

Re: Preowned Revue turns out to be on 2.1 - what should I do

Post by Koofteh »

Well I decided to update anyway but my Revue won't budge, not seeing any updates. Have tried doing a hard reset and whatnot... hopefully Logitech hasn't pulled the update thinking every Revue that isn't sitting in a landfill is updated...
Koofteh
Android 1.0

Re: Preowned Revue turns out to be on 2.1 - what should I do

Post by Koofteh »

Thanks for the response!

I have the update now, it looks like there was a brief 48 hour period where Google's update servers were not functional, coincides with my first 48 hours owning a Revue. With other Android devices I know OTAs are instantaneous but since the Revue update is so old now I was getting desperate thinking my device was problematic.

I doubt the previous owner had done anything, she was a middle aged lady who had won it through her work. :D