NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by replaytv5000 »

gottahavit wrote:Some things to note on this root:

1) We don't have SU so it looks like we can't do system mods from with in the GTV, and they must be done with ADB.
2) If you have ADB you can now "freeze" any system apps you don't want running. For instance I noticed the Dish app that I don't use because I have DirecTV, hooks up to many system events and is always running. No idea if this will actually improve performance or not, but locking out uneeded apps can't be a bad idea ;-)
Yes, that dish thing has been annoying me too. I'd be curious to see if you can freeze it long term w/out any instability.

I could get SU to install w/out root. Sat there in my drawer useless, however. Has anyone tried installing it post exploit just to see?
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

replaytv5000 wrote:

1) We don't have SU so it looks like we can't do system mods from with in the GTV, and they must be done with ADB.
2) If you have ADB you can now "freeze" any system apps you don't want running. For instance I noticed the Dish app that I don't use because I have DirecTV, hooks up to many system events and is always running. No idea if this will actually improve performance or not, but locking out uneeded apps can't be a bad idea ;-)
Yes, that dish thing has been annoying me too. I'd be curious to see if you can freeze it long term w/out any instability.

I could get SU to install w/out root. Sat there in my drawer useless, however. Has anyone tried installing it post exploit just to see?
I don't see any reason why removing the dish app would cause issues, it crashes like crazy until you reboot then all seems fine. Now the sony recommendations and the sony media app, which I also removed I won't be surprised to see a couple thing barf on, but probably not.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

gottahavit wrote:
replaytv5000 wrote:

I don't see any reason why removing the dish app would cause issues, it crashes like crazy until you reboot then all seems fine. Now the sony recommendations and the sony media app, which I also removed I won't be surprised to see a couple thing barf on, but probably not.
Can you post a short list on all of your frozen apps and the status of them. Maybe start a new thread in the sony forum? thx!
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

Here's what I have frozen so far. No side effects except of course for these apps are gone:

CNBC.apk
DeskClock.apk
MineClient.apk
MineServiced.apk
MusicSearchService.apk -
ScanNext.apk
SonyBIVGuide.apk
TimerApp.apk
TwitterTV.apk(must uninstall updates too)
WebEvents.apk(Dish)

JUST BECAUSE THIS WORKS FOR ME DOESN"T MEAN IT WILL FOR YOU.DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

out of curiosity, was the netflix app updated with this ROM? I am working on an app that interacts with netflix and noticed the app got pickier with what I was sending it, it worked fine 0n 3.2 before I ran this root and it still works fine on my revue.

It's not a big deal and I have fixed the issue, but I was curious.
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

So I am trying to enable non market apps using the provided instructions. I bought Better Terminal Emulator but it is saying permission denied. Am I supposed to connect my PC to run an ADB Shell?
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

anuraj1 wrote:So I am trying to enable non market apps using the provided instructions. I bought Better Terminal Emulator but it is saying permission denied. Am I supposed to connect my PC to run an ADB Shell?
I believe you will need to use adb, since we can't really get SU on the GTV it'self
daproy
Android 1.0

Post by daproy »

daproy wrote:First of all, thanks for this!!! Great work!

I am also seeing some minor issues with the unsigned kernel (I am assuming it's the kernel). Can't control dish dvr from remote etc.

Rather than everyone reverting back to the factory build, can't you switch between signed (sda1) and unsigned (sda8) kernels using another script payload from USB in recovery that swaps out the e2fsck script with the original binary? and vice versa to get back to unsigned when/if needed.

cp /tmp/mnt/diskb1/copy/busybox /tmp/busybox
chmod 777 /tmp/busybox
# for original kernel
/tmp/busybox cp -f /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck-bak /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck
# for unsigned kernel
/tmp/busybox cp -f /tmp/mnt/diskb1/copy/e2fsck /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck
I am able to switch between the original signed and the unsigned kernel but I am still having the dish DVR control issues with the signed kernel. Search button also isn't working.
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

gottahavit wrote:
anuraj1 wrote:So I am trying to enable non market apps using the provided instructions. I bought Better Terminal Emulator but it is saying permission denied. Am I supposed to connect my PC to run an ADB Shell?
I believe you will need to use adb, since we can't really get SU on the GTV it'self
Do I just connect the GTV box to my PC with a USB cable?
Hosemaster
Android 1.0

Post by Hosemaster »

gottahavit wrote:
Hosemaster wrote:Tried flashing this last night, everything seemed to go ok, got confirmation the reboot exploit was installed, but once the TV did reboot, there was no sound starting with the boot animation. I reset to factory default, but still appear to have the GTVHacker recovery installed. Where would I start to attempt to install the kernal again?
All a factory reset does is clear you user data. You'd need to reflash the stock image to get rid of the gtvhacker version. I think this is discussed in the first page. That said seems odd you have no sound, but everything else works? If you're using HDMI I would go check the audio settings see if maybe something is configured wrong.
I've tried installing again, from a fresh download and newly formatted USB stick, and still have no sound. To be exact, I am using the TV speakers, and sound is not coming out of them. When I connect a pair of headphones to the jack, I am getting sound out of those, so the TV is getting the sound over HDMI. I've checked all the settings I can find, switched from TV Speakers to AV Receiver and back, tried the built in tuner, still no sound.

I had no problems reverting back to stock for a few days (had sound immediately), and reinstalling the rooted kernel build from USB4.