accessing recovery mode/receiving OTA's with the 3.1 beta

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

jschill31
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: accessing recovery mode/receiving OTA's with the 3.1 bet

Post by jschill31 »

Hello,

All of you who are not able to re-flash your unit from a fail, try this...Use a different USB drive than the one you first loaded the image from. I have seen several references to USB drive issues. It is also known that there is a USB bug. It would only make sense that there is some registry between USB drives and the Revue. Try taking a totally different thumb drive than the one you are currently using, format it to Fat32 and do the sequence over. Remember that even though you can't fully boot, you still have changed your boot loader. Entering the stock Recovery will be different than from 2.1. The general procedure seems to be the same as before but instead of the FN+Left arrow you use Alt+L. Once in Recovery I think a different USB drive will be registered and hopefully you can start over. (hope this works for you)

Cheers
macky032992
Android 1.0

Post by macky032992 »

Tried hdmi in/out sequence without any luck.

Tried using another USB flash drive also without any luck.
What exactly must be on the flash drive . I only have the update.zip.
My gut tells me that due to rebooting and holding the reset button when the USB drive led flashes that the Revue is looking for something on the drive - obviously not the update.zip. Possibly a bootloader? or maybe a recovery image?
I dont know enough about Android or the Revue but it I think the Revue has gone back to its most basic native or virgin mode. Any way to try load a recovery image from flash?

I see also that there is a serial terminal interface on the board. I will hook it up and see if any info is being printed.
macky032992
Android 1.0

Post by macky032992 »

catchnsk wrote:I had the same problem, when the Screen log is on ( stuck) I did the following.
Let me know if this helps you guys.

1/ The Screen is stuck with Logitech review TV log.
2/ I disconnected the HDMI input cable and connected it back
3/ I disconnected the HDMI output cable and connected it back. It will rebooted automatically twice.
4/ During second time reboot. I pressed the ALT+L button in the keyboard, it went to recovery menu,

Let me know if this helps out

Although I tried this and didnt get it to work I was wondering when you do this does it reboot automatically? or did you use the reset button/power on sequence.
With me I had to force a reboot by holding in the reset button at the back/
macky032992
Android 1.0

Post by macky032992 »

macky032992 wrote:Tried hdmi in/out sequence without any luck.

I see also that there is a serial terminal interface on the board. I will hook it up and see if any info is being printed.
Connected the serial interface and tried various boots but it is dead.

Anyone have know a way to sniff comms with a usb drive?
I would like to see what files are being searched for when booting with button pressed and having a drive in USB2.
I am sure someone from logitech would know!
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

macky032992 wrote:
macky032992 wrote:Tried hdmi in/out sequence without any luck.

Connected the serial interface and tried various boots but it is dead.

Anyone have know a way to sniff comms with a usb drive?
I would like to see what files are being searched for when booting with button pressed and having a drive in USB2.
I am sure someone from logitech would know!
I think the key here is to disassemble the CEFDK (Intel's bootloader) or to acquire documents on how the CEFDK operates. There are threads dedicated to both

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
macky032992
Android 1.0

Post by macky032992 »

Thanks for the pointer.

Whilst I have not done any Android I have a lot of embedded development experience and access to Osciloscopes etc. I will give it a go and will appreciate any help.

I have looked at verious threads on CEFDK and can see why you suggested this approach.

If I understand this correctly, then I should try to create a suitable USB boot flash drive. Preferably one that loads the boot image included in the update. Thereafter proceed to getting the recovery image loaded. Hopefully if this is accomplished then re-apply the update.

First task is to create an USB boot disk.
I think I read somewhere on the forum that the images in the updates are encrypted. Boot as well?
Anyway I will try.. I am looking at using unetbootin to create a bootable USB drive. Need to frigure out how to get the revue boot image into the right format and loaded.
long2know
Android 1.0

Post by long2know »

I'm having the same problem(s). So far I have tried two different USB thumbdrives and a USB keyboard. Both thumbdrives have activity LED's and I have not seen either light up at any point during the boot process. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do.
metalianos
Android 1.0

Post by metalianos »

I need help to fix this
macky032992
Android 1.0

Post by macky032992 »

long2know wrote:I'm having the same problem(s). So far I have tried two different USB thumbdrives and a USB keyboard. Both thumbdrives have activity LED's and I have not seen either light up at any point during the boot process. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do.
My Drives are Fat32 formatted and the largest i tried is 8Gig.
The power must be physically removed before powering on whilst holding in the reset button to see the attempted drive access.
long2know
Android 1.0

Post by long2know »

I bought a replacement Revue in the meantime. It will be cool if someone figures out a fix for this.