24"GTV

replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

24"GTV

Post by replaytv5000 »

I have had it with my Logitech and the fact they are out of stock everywhere... I can't return it just yet.(see my thread in the revue forum for background)

I can get a hold of one of these 24" Sony GTV pretty cheap... should I wait for the rrevue to come back into stock wait for the exchange then start fresh... OR get this Sony tv?

Looks like hackability is next to nil on the sony if I am correct? While the revue is blowing open daily... what to do, what to do?

I am going to look at the sony tomorrow am... lemme know ur thoughts thanks :-)
resno
The Green One
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: 24"GTV

Post by resno »

the sony device less popular. i wouldnt suggest it at this moment. you can tell by looking at the lack of threads, the sony devices havent done well.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

resno wrote:the sony device less popular. i wouldnt suggest it at this moment. you can tell by looking at the lack of threads, the sony devices havent done well.
Done... already bought it. Got the guy down to $200 on it! The Sony 24"er is worth more than that! The Gtv package was a value add, is the way I see it :-)

At the moment, it lacks like the Logi Gtv device, but my fingers r crossed that these will get HC with the fall updates that I have heard about. Still waiting on the Logi to be restocked around town... then I will exchange that for a working one
trin20t
1.5 Cupcake

Post by trin20t »

I am thinking of buying on. My current tv is 19 inch. It's ok but I'd like a bigger tv with GTV built in. You got a deal for $200.
running 1.5 Cupcake and 1.6 Donut on a ePad and a Archos 7 Home tablet. 2.2 Froyo on PC. 3.1 Honeycomb on Logitech Revue. Loving Android!
john900doe
Android 1.0

Re: 24"GTV & Logitech Revue my comparison or review

Post by john900doe »

I've got both the 24" GTV and three of the Logitech Revues. (SKIP NEXT 2 PARAGRAPHS IF YOU DISLIKE BOREDOM, my 3 energy drinks are kicking in).

Not to proud of some of my mistaken purchases but I also bought: A Western Digital TV Live (I thought it had Netflix NOPE, 1 month later next version did but never a firmware update. Never again WD),that was another $100 down the drain however it has a ok DLNA-ITUNES server and uses nearly many models of Wifi adapters: a tiny clear blue Trendnet N adapter, a DLINK DWA 130 ,Not sure of the 3rd, I think a Sabaret w/Ralink chip). I also bought a couple of ROKU vers 2's, a Vizio Blue Ray w/built in Wifi (funky apps) and a Panasonic ??-5500 NO WIFI but of its 2 usb jacks I tried a dozen adapters NONE worked. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router as a client to run it and other things in the other room. I bought all these Netflix type devices in reverse order except for my last toy, an Apple TV 2 w/ Jailbreak with XBMC and I Love it! Now I'VE RUN OUT OF MONEY. I SHOULD HAVE READ THE REVUES FIRST! I love both the millions of movies in the Apple Jailbreak and the versatility of the LT Revue.

(My Dream My Dream is to someday see XBMC w Navi-x for the Revue and or Sony Google TV with their Honeycomb 3.1 OS (1/5/2011). (Thanks Logitech you were a few months behind Sony but you came through with Honeycomb.

Getting back to the reply my opinion is that your as well off if not safer going with the $99 LT Revue and "any" HDTV. (I'm seeing factory refurbished Logitech Revues for $79 at C USA and T Direct in non descriptive plain brown boxes).

Our Sony with Google TV could take a dump. Then you'd loose all your settings and apps etc. With the Revue we just switch our boxes to the new TV and keep all our favorite apps and settings. Besides when you mix an internet OS with a HDTV the price of the TV seems to nearly double and in some cases I've seen it nearly triple.

Both the Sony TV (I hear Vizio is doing a combo also) and Revue have a nice icon-app called TV & Movies" that show you whats playing on a TV right away, 30 minute and 1 hour ahead as well however the Sony TV allows you to go directly to the TV channel be it cable, local TV or Sat as long as you set up your Cable or Sat provider and zip code during setup. (There does seem to be a problem with the ROVI TV "GUIDE" keeping tuned. For some reason it looses something that gives you an empty ROVI TV Guide even if your router is connected at all times or upon demand.. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm making a post on the topic to get some help. But when it works its great.

Darn I should have quoted post. I let to much time pass and forgot some.

Anyway its my opinion the Revue dollar for dollar gives the bigest bang for your buck. Plus there are some site out there with links to good movies like justin.tv (I found there is a little trick to that you need to click ENGLISH then type in the word MOVIE in the search box (You need not join to watch) Movies run back to back like cable or satellite except after 4 hours seems the video section (Small or full screen) goes black. Just max then min or min then max and your good for another 4 hours.

Frankly I hate the little game controller size keyboard that comes with my Sony Google TV. I love the one that comes with the Revue. I think my Sony has 4 gigs of internal memory whereas my Logitech Revue has under 500 megs. I'm not sure what that was all about and if Sony had or has more plans. All I know is I read something where they lost millions over the Google TV merger with these model TV's. They were are simply ahead of their time. Keep in mind that the 24" Sony Google TV cost me $299 towards end of 2011 but was $599 first quarter, maybe second of 2011. Also the Revue was $299 chopped to $99 right afterwards.

Lets face it most of us guys have enough tech in us to navigate a TV and computer built into one unit the average Joe doesn't. Also these average Joe's had to be a tad on the wealthy side to pay these rather high prices. Looking back had I known how many features was built into the Revue (Even with vers 2.x) I think I would have sprung for the $299. The Revue puts all the other boxes to shame. That is (DOn't kill me guys) except for when you have a Jailbreak with your Apple TV 2 and it has XBMC with Navi-x. After I watched a specific category movies section I was amazed when I drove by my local theater that 9 of their 14 movies I had already seen. Plus Hulu, Crackle and such are commercial free. I have no idea how its done. It may last only a few more months but I love it.

I ask of the Google TV Hacker community why can't we put XBMC (http://XBMC.org and http://Navi-x.com on our Honeycomb 3.1 systems. For example XBMC will run on Windows, Mac and Linux and I thought Android OS is linux 2.6x kernel with some Google programming layer on top of Linux. If Linux is at its heart then whats taking so long. I have a feeling now that the boxes are at $99 and more are "FLOODING" into the market more will tinker and my prayers will be answered.

I saw a Youtube hack that I followed that installs some software (Gosh is there any Virus protection for the Revue or Android in general?) to watch Hulu. It was GREAT but only last ten minutes as stated by a prior poster. Bingo your thrown out of Hulu (Although in a slightly different manner). That freaks me out. Why does it take nearly ten minutes? I have faith were close to a breakthrough or it exist and I've yet to hear of it.

Before I close (Sorry guys didn't mean to write a book) I wanted to say how much I love my Revue. O yes I left out Livestream plus A&E and L&M Lifetime.com and the History channel and all their associates. The have some decent full run movies.

If not already stated I have found a great way to watch full movies on Youtube. Just type http://youtube.com/movies (then tick on ALL CATEGORIES then click on FREE or if you wish register a credit card then you can watch both pay & free) Don't type youtube.com then try to do a search for a movie.. It will say it want play on a TV or some bull. I've had hours of enjoyment. I just hope they hold up. I wonder if we should add a fan or if the temp is acceptable for longevity.

I hope I addressed your post. Heck maybe I created one. I'm tired its near 3:30 AM and I'm sleepy. Later guys and gals.
John900doe
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

I can't believe I read the whole thing! :P
The only real thing that I saw that can add to the mix is that the sony kybd rocks. I am actually writing with it. I have written probably 4-5 short stories, and a couple hundred twitter posts heh. Best remote I have ever owned. Just wish it had some kind of Harmony style USB style interface......