Bricked Revue With Triangle Logo and "!" ? Read this

Having issues applying a release or having continuing weirdness? Place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

Berserk
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Bricked Revue With Triangle Logo and "!" ? Read this

Post by Berserk »

zenofex

Could you please give us explonation to this solution? Did I attach cords to some UART (in USB mode)? Has kernel some options to mount device at this uart and does it have driver for keyboard? And how it process Ctr+Alt+Del command?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

Berserk wrote:zenofex

Could you please give us explonation to this solution? Did I attach cords to some UART (in USB mode)? Has kernel some options to mount device at this uart and does it have driver for keyboard? And how it process Ctr+Alt+Del command?
You are essentially disconnecting the flash that is connected to an internal usb port and substituting it with your flash drive. When you reboot the Revue, the device is looking in the cache partition (EXT3 #1) for a command file to finish the previous install. When it detects the command file it'll see the path for the update.zip inside and finish updating from the previously borked install.
valkyr wrote:I'm not sure what is going on with my revue.

The solder hack works for the keyboard but as far as I can tell, the USB drive is not being accessed at all when the revue reboots.

Here's what I *think* I'm supposed to be doing:

1. Verify keyboard works with solder hack - done and works
2. Reboot Revue using keyboard and immediately unplug keyboard and plug in USB stick as revue reboots
3. update should automatically begin?

The USB doesn't seem to get accessed at all (no blinking light on usb stick)

The screen returns to white triangle with black exclamation mark.
That sounds good but I suspect there may be a problem with your usb drive or the partition setup (possibly the recovery folder and or command file is on the wrong partition). I'd go ahead and put the folder, update, and command file in both partitions just to be sure you dont have it just sitting in the wrong one. Also the keyboard is only needed the first time to verify that the solder connections are good and that you have usb working.

Two things to note are:

1.) that if the triangle with the exclamation comes up and stays up you probably need to try again
2.) If you hold the pair button on the back of the device it will delete the command file so make sure to check between each attempt that all the files are still on the thumb drive.
valkyr wrote:When you say via USB, you mean with the soldering iron usb hack, or the plug into the back usb update?

If you used the soldering iron hack, I have some questions:

1.) what size is your usb partition sizes? Are they ext3?
2.) is the USB stick bootable - either partition?
3.) Do you have any other partitions besides the ext3 partition(s)?
1.) You can size the partitions to anything over 512MB
2.) The device is not bootable
3.) Nothing other than the 2 EXT3 partitions

Also a note to everyone who is trying this, please come by IRC and send me a message if you are having issues and need immediate assistance (although keep in mind I'm not at my computer 24/7)

http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... ker&uio=d4
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

Berserk wrote:I would try Zenofex solution to fix my revue with applied the 55579 firmware and wich remains only in the splash screen.
I've said this multiple times in this thread but I do not believe this will do anything for users who are bricked and just stuck on the loading splash screen. This is specifically for users who have update to UserDebug or b61925 WITHOUT having installed 55579. If you are on the 55579 build you will need to check the following thread:

http://forum.gtvhacker.com/troubleshoot ... ic162.html

There are a number of different things that helped quite a few users, I recommend reading through that and trying as many of them as you can.
Berserk wrote:I did solder job and it looks good. But Ctrl-Alt-Del combination doesn't work. Please look at photo

http://i.imgur.com/6EtfJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/P45Rm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Vnyoj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VN8TM.jpg

P.S. My revue stuck at Logitech Revue splash screen.
Your soldering job looks good but as I mentioned above this probably will not work for you. You should disconnect the wires and reconnect the resistors (or just bridge the gaps together that were originally formed by the resistors).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Berserk
Android 1.0

Post by Berserk »

zenofex

I will fix it later, but I wold like to understood how it works first.
We disconnect an UART. This UART connect SOC with USB Flash controller. It is mining that not any controller can be used - so I will try different USB flash pens before restore revue.

About revue boot sequence
1. Bootloader (from NOR or NAND)
2. kernel
2.1 mount root
2.2 init
2.3 rc scripts

and somewhere here some script checks for command at USB attached flash and starts recovering procedure
looks like I have problem before rc init scripts starts (kernel boot problem? or jump from bootloader to kernel) and becouse of that this solution does't help me :(

am I right?

No one advice helps me from topic http://forum.gtvhacker.com/troubleshoot ... 62-50.html :( maybe you have some idea?
bamccoley
Android 1.0

Post by bamccoley »

Zenoflex, first off, thanks for taking the time to try and help the guys that incorrectly applied an update. Second, I'm trying to make sure I do this correctly before I proceed. I understand the steps as you've laid them out, but I'm wondering what update file to use. Could you explain in more detail where I should look to get this? And would applying this file bring my revue to the 3.1 build, or revert it to 2.1?

Thank you for your input!

Brad
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

bamccoley wrote:Zenoflex, first off, thanks for taking the time to try and help the guys that incorrectly applied an update. Second, I'm trying to make sure I do this correctly before I proceed. I understand the steps as you've laid them out, but I'm wondering what update file to use. Could you explain in more detail where I should look to get this? And would applying this file bring my revue to the 3.1 build, or revert it to 2.1?

Thank you for your input!

Brad
You're going to want to apply the build you were trying to load that had originally failed. So if you went from 2.1->UserDebug, then you will want to get the UserDebug update and substitute is as the update.zip. If your box was messed up on the OTA update (61925) I'd recommend instead using that particular update.

Both updates should be in their appropriate thread at
http://forum.gtvhacker.com/revue/

Thanks
Zenofex
bamccoley
Android 1.0

Post by bamccoley »

So if I tried to apply the OTA update found at the top of this thread http://forum.gtvhacker.com/revue/topic393.html without having loaded any other update or changed any settings and getting the triangle logo upon booting, the process you described to fix it is the way to go? Sorry if these are obvious questions.
bamccoley
Android 1.0

Post by bamccoley »

And could you explain exactly where and how this is input to the revue?
Run the following command from the root of the partition: echo "--update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip" > recovery/command
Are you saying when you apply the hardware changes and boot up the revue you are presented with a command prompt and you can input the command? I also noticed there is a quoted part of the command, is there more to it? Or is that the only thing you need to type?
spurf
Android 1.0

Post by spurf »

My parents Revue received the OTA update yesterday and I suspect they freaked out part way through and unplugged the device :cry: . They now have the triangle ! problem. Is this method likely to work for them?

Cheers
valkyr
Android 1.0

Post by valkyr »

zenofex wrote: That sounds good but I suspect there may be a problem with your usb drive or the partition setup (possibly the recovery folder and or command file is on the wrong partition). I'd go ahead and put the folder, update, and command file in both partitions just to be sure you dont have it just sitting in the wrong one. Also the keyboard is only needed the first time to verify that the solder connections are good and that you have usb working.

Two things to note are:

1.) that if the triangle with the exclamation comes up and stays up you probably need to try again
2.) If you hold the pair button on the back of the device it will delete the command file so make sure to check between each attempt that all the files are still on the thumb drive.

If you used the soldering iron hack, I have some questions:

1.) You can size the partitions to anything over 512MB
2.) The device is not bootable
3.) Nothing other than the 2 EXT3 partitions

Also a note to everyone who is trying this, please come by IRC and send me a message if you are having issues and need immediate assistance (although keep in mind I'm not at my computer 24/7)

http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... ker&uio=d4
I've tried a couple of USB drives - with multiple setups.

I tried the 2 ext3 partitions with recovery folders in both, with 1 partition bootable and not - you name a combination, I probably tried it - including Fat and Fat32. :)

My deal is, the Revue doesn't seem to be accessing the USB at all from the USB extension cable. The keyboard CTRL-ALT-DEL works fine but *nothing* is accessing the USB drive on boot.

Here's what I get on the Revue bootup:
1.) The Logitech Splash Screen
2.) Then it proceeds to the TV emblem with the down arrow (there is *no* progress bar)
3.) Then it proceeds to the white triangle

I have also *tried* holding the pair button on the back with the USB drive plugged into the USB extension cable and nothing gets erased either.

When I have the USB drive plugged into the ethernet port on the back, the Revue accesses it but it doesn't do anything other than blink while it's being read.

Is there *any* situation (that you can think of) where the CTRL-ALT-DEL will work, but not access a USB drive along the same wire? (Just brainstorming a bit)