Bricked Revue With Triangle Logo and "!" ? Read this

Having issues applying a release or having continuing weirdness? Place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Bricked Revue With Triangle Logo and "!" ? Read this

Post by zenofex »

Steps to fix brick caused by updating a 2.1 Revue build to a 3.1 Revue build without having previously loaded build 55579
-This also fixes devices with a corrupted boot.img or devices that display the recovery logo and progress bar before an exclamation on a normal boot.

WARNING: The method below is not for the "Shaky Hand" or faint of heart. It requires a lot of precision soldering and could mess up your board pretty badly if done incorrectly. If you do plan on using this method to fix a bricked revue make sure to read ALL of the instructions before proceeding with step 1.

For the fix you will need:
-soldering iron (with a very thin tip)
-a USB extension cable
-solder
-tweezers
-thumb drive (at least 1GB)
-a Linux machine or a way to format ext3 partitions

(and not required but good to have):
-thin wire 30awg or so (Only needed if you pull a pad or want to use to connect the board to the USB extension)
-glue and/or tape
-flux
-USB keyboard

Steps:
1.) Examine the picture at http://imgur.com/S5lVW
-- A.) Notice the 4 points labeled on the picture ( D- (White), D+ (Green), 5V (Red), GND (Black) )
-- B.) These are the corresponding colors you will be soldering the USB extension to
-- C.) Notice the resistors at D- and D+ (In the area of T5), you will be removing these resistors (and will not be needing them afterwards)
2.) Remove D+ and D- resistors.
-- A.) Make sure to be very gentle when doing this, apply heat to each side and use a pair of tweezers to lift each side of resistor. DO NOT "TEAR" THE RESISTOR OFF, "lift" the resistor
3.) Cut open the USB extension cable, you will hopefully find 4 wires inside. A white, a green, a red, and finally a black.
4.) Solder each of the appropriate color wires in the USB extension cable to the appropriate corresponding pad
-- A.) I highly recommend taping (or gluing) the wires down before or after (your preference) soldering as it is incredibly easy to pull the solder pad off of the board.
-- B.) When soldering make to the resistor pads, make sure to solder to the left side of the pad (closest to heat sink and text label (D- and D+))
5.) Plug in a USB keyboard to the extension and verify that CTRL+ALT+DEL works to reboot the box.
-- A.) If this works then congratulations, your solder job is good and you are ready to proceed to the USB stick portion
-- B.) If this did not work, reboot the box and try again. If it still fails you need to re-examine the solder points, if you pulled a pad you will need to revue the "Troubleshooting" section below
6.) Format the thumb drive into 2 "ext3" partitions.
-- A.) Each partition must be at least 512MB
7.) In the first partition create a folder and label it "recovery"
-- A.) you can actually choose to do all of this and the following parts to both partitions if you want to play it safe.
8.) Place the update with the file name (update.zip) into the recovery folder.
9.) Run the following command from the root of the partition: echo "--update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip" > recovery/command
10.) After the the thumb drive has the above steps performed to either the first partition (or both if you want to play it safe) reboot the revue
-- A.) You DO NOT want to hold the pair button while rebooting or turning on the revue, doing so will delete anything on your thumb drive.
11.) Plug thumb drive in immediately after turning on revue and wait.
12.) The update should be installing, wait for it to complete. (Box will reboot into 3.1 when finished)
-- A.) If the file does not begin to install, test to make sure the USB keyboard still works (with CTRL+ALT+DEL)
-- B.) If it does verify all the steps are done correctly, then pull the power on the box and try again.

DO NOT HOLD THE PAIR BUTTON AS ITS NOT NEEDED TO UPDATE ONCE YOU ARE STUCK IN THIS PARTICULAR BOOT LOOP AND ARE ATTEMPTING THIS FIX

Upon completion of update
#########################

1.) You may now unsolder the 4 wires for the usb extension as it wont be needed again.
2.) Connect the two pads where the resistors used to reside (in the first few steps) by creating a "solder bridge" from the left side to the right
3.) Verify that the bridges from the above step aren't touching each other.
4.) Breathe, You're finished!

TROUBLESHOOTING
##################

Q.) I pulled a pad, now what?!
A.) Congratulations, You have made it more difficult to fix the bricked revue. The process after you have pulled a pad requires soldering to the trace in the board, to do this is no easy task but I will go over the steps.

1.) Follow the trace leading away from the pad, get to a "good" area where the trace is straight and still fairly close to the pad.
2.) Scratch a line on top of the trace with the razor, be very gentle make sure not to put too much pressure as you can easily cut right through the trace.
3.) After you have a slight amount of copper showing add flux on to the now showing copper.
4.) Tape/glue the new "tinned" wire down on top of the are you plan to solder to the tracer. (Tinning the wire means adding a thin layer of flux and solder to the wire to prepare)
5.) Solder the wire to the trace.
6.) Be very gentle as its very easy to make the situation worse by pulled the trace

Thanks,
Zenofex
Last edited by zenofex on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: :-)
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
hoochster
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Bricked Revue With Triangle Logo and "!" ? Read this

Post by hoochster »

I will say first-hand, this fixed my review, thanks to Zenofex and the great GTVHacker team for figuring out this recovery method. I jumped the gun, and as soon as the update.zip was available to download, I tried updating my stock 2.1 Revue. Not realizing that it needed to be on b55579 first. My own fault, I blame nobody. Part of hacking, you make mistakes! :) But thanks to this, I managed to recover it and am now on 3.1 and working great.

I am by no means an expert at soldering, but have had some decent experience in my day, but I do have a slight shake to my hands at times and am not real good with surface mount components. But with knowing I didn't need to save the resistors, I managed to get them off and by using a little de-soldering braid, cleaned up the contact area. This is only necessary if you accidentally got some solder stretching between the 2 resistor pads. Just be careful to not leave too much heat on or you might lift of another resistor that you shouldn't.

I also highly recommend the tape or glue method, tape is less messy. Get your wires laid out where they are gonna connect and then tape them down a bit back to hold them in place before you solder. This will save you lots of time and less risk of pulling a pad accidentally if you snag a wire while moving around. Also, I recommend tinning as Zenofex mentions in the troubleshooting section the tips of your wires before getting near the board, so that you already have some solder on them ready to adhere to the pads. This will save you lots of trouble and worry about a wire sticking out and touching another pad or dropping too much solder on a tiny area.

Thanks go out to the GTVHacker team, they really have given us a lot of great use out of our little Revues, and I truly appreciate everything they do.

Keep up the great work and knowledge.

Hoochster
jeffrapp
Android 1.0

Post by jeffrapp »

I have a Revue that bricked itself after a power outage. Any idea if this method will work?
hoochster
Android 1.0

Post by hoochster »

jeffrapp wrote:I have a Revue that bricked itself after a power outage. Any idea if this method will work?
I have one of those too! But mine just lights up, I get NO video out of it. So if yours has no video either, I don't know that it would. But hey it is an idea to try. Not doing anything else with it!
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

jeffrapp wrote:I have a Revue that bricked itself after a power outage. Any idea if this method will work?
hoochster wrote:
I have one of those too! But mine just lights up, I get NO video out of it. So if yours has no video either, I don't know that it would. But hey it is an idea to try. Not doing anything else with it!
I doubt this will work for anything other than users experiencing the brick with the triangle and exclamation (cause by going from a 2.1 build to a 3.1 without using 55579 as an intermediary build.)

Sorry guys, I wouldn't give up on those power outage bricks though, I'm sure they can be fixed.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

Great thread, should save a load of Revues.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
long2know
Android 1.0

Post by long2know »

zenofex wrote:
hoochster wrote:
I doubt this will work for anything other than users experiencing the brick with the triangle and exclamation (cause by going from a 2.1 build to a 3.1 without using 55579 as an intermediary build.)

Sorry guys, I wouldn't give up on those power outage bricks though, I'm sure they can be fixed.

Thanks,
Zenofex
I just read this thread and was hoping it would fix my 3.1 beta Revue that is bricked (at Google logo) after power failure too ... was just about to get out the soldering iron and everything.. :-)
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

hmm, im not sure. i guess if you think it wouldnt hurt.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
Andreslopezg
Android 1.0

Post by Andreslopezg »

This method is also for those who applied the 55579 and remains only in the start screen logitech?
Andreslopezg
Android 1.0

Post by Andreslopezg »

I had 2.1 and then i put the b55579 , it off and no longer charge , he is left alone in the logo of Logitech, this method i will serve to recover my revue ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltkc0Omp ... ature=plcp