Revue cancelled?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

steverose
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Revue cancelled?

Post by steverose »

from the Logitech's 4Q report... (link on the logitech site: http://ir.logitech.com/secfiling.cfm?fi ... -11-61563l)
In the digital home, we invested significantly in developing and marketing our Logitech Revue and related peripherals for the Google TV platform in the United States. As a result of poor initial sales of these products, we reduced the retail price of Logitech Revue from $249 to $99 in the quarter ended September 30, 2011. This action resulted in a $34.1 million valuation adjustment to cost of goods sold in the three months ended June 30, 2011. We expect our inventory of Logitech Revue products will be fully depleted in the quarter ended December 31, 2011. We do not plan to build a successor to Logitech Revue. However, we plan to take advantage of future peripheral opportunities around the Google TV platform as such opportunities arise.
http://biz.yahoo.com/e/111107/logi10-q.html
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: Revue cancelled?

Post by killer4110 »

Even if they don't plan a successor to the Revue, Google has other plans for us.

This is from an article on Oct 31,2011
The over-the-air update starts this week on Google-TV enabled Sony TV and Blu-Ray players, then moves to the Logitech Revue set-top box. But Google will miss the all-important holiday season when it comes to new hardware, instead waiting for 2012. The company says it has deals in place for new devices at “new pricepoints.”
So even if Logitech doesn't put out a new box, i don't think Google will forget about us.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

well, i'm at andevcon2 this week and while the google folks were still saying that the revue will get updated soon, they confirmed all updates must come from logitech themselves. They expect gtv to get ICS soon, but if logitech bails we may be sol.
HNF
Android 1.0

Post by HNF »

Well, Logitech says it will support Google TV, just not in actual hardware. This makes sense, considering an additional set-top box, no matter how convenient, is just another device.

I think in order for their accessories to work, they would want the latest software to support them.
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by killer4110 »

Here is a link for a conference call with Logitech CEO.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/306966- ... transcript

Almost right at the beginning he talks about the Revue,
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
theearthisflat
Android 1.0

Post by theearthisflat »

whoever's idea it was to make it 249$ at release is the real bozo here.
if it was 99$ at release would have sold a lot more.
tjsdev
Android 1.0

Post by tjsdev »

From Twitter a few mins ago
https://twitter.com/#!/GoogleTV
Google TV Team
Those of you who can't wait for our big software update to reach your Logitech Revue, stay tuned! It's coming in the next few weeks.
MatlocK
Android 1.0

Post by MatlocK »

Even at $99, I'm starting to wonder if this was a good purchase. They keep saying, "a few weeks". I really don't see Logitech updating this thing now after reading this. They're getting rid of the remaining inventory and lowering the price.
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/11/11 ... ig-mistake
HNF
Android 1.0

Post by HNF »

I think that Logitech will add the update, but I'm not sure if they'll support anything after. I'm not sure if we'll get ICS TV. Rooting is an option, but it's a shame that Logitech is killing it off.

Now I'm still waiting for the update. The next few weeks is too vague. I'm patient, but I'm just so excited.
MStrawder
Android 1.0

Post by MStrawder »

I think Logitech will put this update out, but beyond that, I'm highly doubtful. As to when we'll see it, who knows. I'm growingly increasingly frustrated with the whole thing as I'm looking to cut my satellite bill in half through the use of my main PC and the Revue by getting my content online. Not a total cord-cutter, more like a cord-snipper.