Hulu after root...and other thoughts

jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Re: Hulu after root...and other thoughts

Post by jmprnbr1 »

can someone tell me how they disabled the update popup. My box keeps asking to system update.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote:
HI I just rooted but when I goto to hulu.com it show the main screen then it quickly goes to hulu plus advertising. When I looked at the web address I notice its secure for mobile. Not sure why I cant watch on hulu. Please help.
Did you modify the Chrome User Agent?

Open Chrome on the Pulse
Click the Menu button (Between Web and FN)
Choose Settings
Choose Advanced Settings
Click on "Under the Hood" in the left panel
Scroll down to the User Agent section and choose "Custom User Agent"
You can choose "Generic User Agent" if you'd like but we recommend using "Custom User Agent" along with a legitimate PC User Agent such as those found at UserAgentString.com
You're finished, restart the device and enjoy Fox/NBC/CBS/Hulu/Etc.
Yes did all that but now it don't matter cus in the other post I mention that I lost the root with update :( must have dl patch while rooted and installed. But I'm getting another unit on the way and will try again. I wanted to test this oiut first for myself before I gave this to my parents anyway. They don't need root :) any tips for me on my next root? Even though it say successful root how can I confirm it wont dl patches even if notification says update? I know the root prevents it but something must went wrong for me? Thanks in advance....
kermit_01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by kermit_01 »

jmprnbr1 wrote:can someone tell me how they disabled the update popup. My box keeps asking to system update.
adb in (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip

Or install root browser navigate to cache and erase the zip file.
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

Yellowmann wrote:
Yes did all that but now it don't matter cus in the other post I mention that I lost the root with update :( must have dl patch while rooted and installed. But I'm getting another unit on the way and will try again. I wanted to test this oiut first for myself before I gave this to my parents anyway. They don't need root :) any tips for me on my next root? Even though it say successful root how can I confirm it wont dl patches even if notification says update? I know the root prevents it but something must went wrong for me? Thanks in advance....
Didn't realize you were the same poster... :D
If your router is connected to the web while you are rooting it will likely download the update. It stores the update in the cache. After the reboot it will prompt you to install it. Click cancel (or ignore, or what ever it says). Then you have two choices.

From your PC -- (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip or install a root browser, navigate to cache and delete the zip file.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote:
Didn't realize you were the same poster... :D
If your router is connected to the web while you are rooting it will likely download the update. It stores the update in the cache. After the reboot it will prompt you to install it. Click cancel (or ignore, or what ever it says). Then you have two choices.

From your PC -- (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip or install a root browser, navigate to cache and delete the zip file.
Thanks much for replying seem like your the only one ... so on my next root I'm going to disable my internet on my router before attempting to root. But is there anyplace on the pulse I can verify that I'm really rooted and updates are disabled? Ty
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

Yellowmann wrote: Thanks much for replying seem like your the only one ... so on my next root I'm going to disable my internet on my router before attempting to root. But is there anyplace on the pulse I can verify that I'm really rooted and updates are disabled? Ty
The script disables updates by renaming otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.old it can be located using a root browser at /system/etc/security -- if your says .old at the end updates have been disabled. You can also side load a program like autoruns and go to google services framework and then deselect the one that says update.systemserviceupdate$receiver to disable them, but if the script finishes with out error you should see the file renamed.

To verify you have root you should see SuperSU installed under your apps. Open that and it should ask you to update the binary. If all that goes off with out a hitch you have root. If you want you also could sideload an app like root checker.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote: Thanks much for replying seem like your the only one ... so on my next root I'm going to disable my internet on my router before attempting to root. But is there anyplace on the pulse I can verify that I'm really rooted and updates are disabled? Ty
The script disables updates by renaming otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.old it can be located using a root browser at /system/etc/security -- if your says .old at the end updates have been disabled. You can also side load a program like autoruns and go to google services framework and then deselect the one that says update.systemserviceupdate$receiver to disable them, but if the script finishes with out error you should see the file renamed.

To verify you have root you should see SuperSU installed under your apps. Open that and it should ask you to update the binary. If all that goes off with out a hitch you have root. If you want you also could sideload an app like root checker.
Thanks much for all the great info and easy to understand. I made a pulse for dummy so I know exact what I need to do for my next one coming in a few days lol
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

Yellowmann wrote: Thanks much for all the great info and easy to understand. I made a pulse for dummy so I know exact what I need to do for my next one coming in a few days lol

No problem, hope it all works out for you.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

I didn't get the supersu until the second time I ran the script, I then got superSU but it still says it wants to update? Do I need to keep running the script until it happens. I deleted the update but it still says it wants to update. Thanks
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

jmprnbr1 wrote:I didn't get the supersu until the second time I ran the script, I then got superSU but it still says it wants to update? Do I need to keep running the script until it happens. I deleted the update but it still says it wants to update. Thanks
Just to clarify, you deleted the zip file in the cache, cleared the notification and then rebooted and it still prompted you to install an update? The important thing is clearing the notification after you wipe the cache. If not its likely just the old notification still sticking around. On the off chance you did all those things you can also install something like autoruns and go to google services framework and then deselect the one that says update.systemserviceupdate$receiver. After which you should reboot.