unable to update to latest firmware or access play store

oggie
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

unable to update to latest firmware or access play store

Post by oggie »

I don't get this at all. It's a bit long, but I can't update to the latest firmware (check now button just sits there looking for an update) and the play store says can't connect even though I can use youtube and other apps ok.

I have a logitech revue, so I'm very familiar with the GTV software and setting a device up.
  • I bought a US NSZ-GS7 and brought it home to Canada
    I set it up properly with my google account
    I connected it, and it wouldn't get the latest update. It would sit there on 'checking for update'
    When I went to the play store, it would show apps, but I couldn't install them. It would say something like you must be connected to your google tv account
    All other internet functionality works though.

I then downloaded REL05 for US and installed it via recovery.
    Now I can't even get to the play store. It says server error and clicking Retry does nothing.
    And when I check for updates, it's the same thing. It just sits there checking.
    I've reset to factory defaults a few times, and still nothing.
Any suggestions?

What's the URL to the latest firmware?
oggie
Android 1.0

Re: unable to update to latest firmware or access play store

Post by oggie »

If I try to add a new google account instead of using my current one, it times out eventually and says 'you don't have a network connection'.

Not sure how this is possible when it can access the internet with youtube etc.
bitterbuffalo77
Android 1.0

Post by bitterbuffalo77 »

I ended up manually updating the firmware via usb stick in recovery. But i also cant get into the Play Store. It just hangs on server error. Ive cleared data, and force stopped in the app settings, factory reset, toggled background data on and off, removed and readded my google acct. I cant figure it out for the life of me, and i cant sideload the stupid apk for some reason. Anyone else run into this?
oscar47180
Android 1.0

Post by oscar47180 »

After talking several times and hours with Tech Support and trying all tips and tricks from any and all forums... the problem persisted!
I noticed/inferred that everyone who's having the problem was originally using REL03, so I went out and exchanged my NSZ-GS7 hoping something would be different.

After turning on and running quickly through the initial setup, I saw that the software was REL01.

$$$ I was able to access PLAY STORE immediately!
$$$ Within a minute, a system update notice popped up automatically!

Soon, I had a REL06 and all my favorite apps up and running.

If you can find it, maybe you can try installing REL01. Good Luck.
bitterbuffalo77
Android 1.0

Post by bitterbuffalo77 »

I did the exact same thing you did actually. Except the one i exchanged for was already on Rel06 and i was good to go. I'm actually quite impressed with it. For what i need it for it does it perfectly. Thinking about trying out a Hisense Pulse as well.
Glad we both got it worked out. There were some dark moments there for me. Lol