REL05 Update- Request from Australia

danieljwobrien
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

REL05 Update- Request from Australia

Post by danieljwobrien »

Hi all from Australia,

Just had my NSZ-GS7 try to pusha REL05 firmware. Have been eagerly awaiting an update so that I can switch to US firmware and get Netflix, etc with my Unblock-US account. Would someone in the US mind capturing their update when they install and upload it please.

Many thanks,

D.
wartz
Android 1.0

Re: REL05 Update- Request from Australia

Post by wartz »

Here is the REL05 US firmware:

Code: Select all

[Google Link]/data/ota/sony_beetle/8a35afb3c3ca.PKG_REL05_NSZGS7_U2_1303_6289_20121024_URSC.zip
nighthawknoir

Post by nighthawknoir »

Interesting. I flashed the US firmware on an EU device some time ago which is still on REL04 despite REL05 apparently being available since 24th October.

Checking for updates manually reveals that the device is up to date. Does anybody else have this problem?

I could flash the new version myself, but the autoupdate functionality would be a lot more convenient.

EDIT: I didn't want to wait and applied the update via USB which worked flawlessly. Thx @wartz for providing the link!

EDIT2: The box feels a LOT faster now. Looks like Google/Sony did some serious optimizations under the hood.
britbloke
Android 1.0

Post by britbloke »

wartz wrote:Here is the REL05 US firmware:
Thanks for the link wartz.

Like nighthawk, I wasn't getting the REL05 notification on my box either, so this certainly helps.
danieljwobrien
Android 1.0

Post by danieljwobrien »

Thanks wartz. Now able to run Netflix on oz bought box. Cheers.
Princi
Android 1.0

Post by Princi »

Is it really that simple to change the country setting on an NSZ-GS7? Just apply a firmware update for the desired country?

I can't imagine Sony making it so easy.

I am trying to install a Zattoo Live TV app on my Australian NSZ-GS7, but it tells me that the app is not compatible with my device's country.

(or is the country setting determined by the Google Account - and not the device?)
britbloke
Android 1.0

Post by britbloke »

Princi wrote:Is it really that simple to change the country setting on an NSZ-GS7? Just apply a firmware update for the desired country?

I can't imagine Sony making it so easy.

I am trying to install a Zattoo Live TV app on my Australian NSZ-GS7, but it tells me that the app is not compatible with my device's country.

(or is the country setting determined by the Google Account - and not the device?)
How are you trying to install Zattoo? From Google Play? If so, that app is only available to certain EU countries. Changing the FW country won't work as it's linked to your Google Play account country settings, not the devices.
danieljwobrien
Android 1.0

Post by danieljwobrien »

Did a bit of research before installing US firmware. Couldn't get apps such as netflix to sideload without errors. Read a number of posts that explained that netflix and a few of the other US only apps are built in at the firware level. So far this is the only solution I have found. Working ok on my machine but you lose the Bravia tv control function that I really like considering I have a Bravia tv and it meant I only required one remote for my AV receiver, TV and Google tv box. Netflix is a little slow as I'm running it through Unblock-US VPN. Would much prefer Australian firmware with Netflix.