Sony NSZ GS7 Overheating?

isidhu
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Sony NSZ GS7 Overheating?

Post by isidhu »

So i have noticed it to days in a row. By the way it is on the latest OTA without root.
I bought it two days ago. Yesterday it was working perfectly fine streaming from netflixs. Then about 3 hours into the session it abruptly stopped feeding video to my panasonic plasma HDTV. I could still hear the audio which is sourced from the optical output to a soundbar, but no video. I tried restarting no video, no response. Finally i unplugged it and still no response. So i dint use it after that, but it was really hot at the base although the air around was normal (it does not dissipate heat very well i guess). Could this be due to the unit heating up or just a software glitch. I switched it on today morning and it is working normally.

Never mind the overheating part. it happened again about half hour after i starting to watch the screen turned blank. Is anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Re: Sony NSZ GS7 Overheating?

Post by cj_000 »

Do you have the box set to auto-shutdown after 30 minutes? It might be a bug in the auto-shutdown, that is set to well, shut down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Of course watching something isn't inactivity, but it might be picekd up wrong.

Also - can you provide an adb logcat after it happens? That might help troubleshoot!
isidhu
Android 1.0

Post by isidhu »

cj_000 wrote:Do you have the box set to auto-shutdown after 30 minutes? It might be a bug in the auto-shutdown, that is set to well, shut down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Of course watching something isn't inactivity, but it might be picekd up wrong.

Also - can you provide an adb logcat after it happens? That might help troubleshoot!
Well it does not shut down. It is still working after this happens. I can hear the video playing and i can still control my tv and set top box from the sony remote. I just wont show any video which goes black or blank not sure which. How do i get the adb logcat? I might just exchange the unit for another one if this persists, which it is (happened 2 times today).
RickD
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by RickD »

I have the same problem. It runs fine, everything seems normal. Then all of the sudden, it goes blank. Audio still plays, but no picture.
Unplug wait 10-15 minutes reinsert plug and it works. Sony's solution so far, unplug it, wait, reinsert plug. Not a good solution.
isidhu
Android 1.0

Post by isidhu »

RickD wrote:I have the same problem. It runs fine, everything seems normal. Then all of the sudden, it goes blank. Audio still plays, but no picture.
Unplug wait 10-15 minutes reinsert plug and it works. Sony's solution so far, unplug it, wait, reinsert plug. Not a good solution.
I have tried just switching off the TV for about 15 seconds and switching it back on and it sometimes helps. Having the same issue with the replacement unit too. I can also see distortion during screen changes like during the launch of an app I can see a few frames of snow and then the app kicks in. What TV are you using?
Mike00chua
Android 1.0

Post by Mike00chua »

I have the exact same problem, but it happens about twice a day. Video and audio stop screen blank, like it froze up. Then the only way to get it working again is to unplug the power cord and reinstall. I am VERY disappointed. I am hoping an update can fix this, but highly unlikely. Buyer beware.
kushkm
Android 1.0

Post by kushkm »

I'm having the same issue. Using Directv and HDMI 1.4 Cables from monoprice. I lose signal from the pass-through the next day or after a few hours.

I turn off and on the Directv box, I hear a short amount of sound for a second, but no picture.

The temp fix is unplug and plug the box, which is not a good fix.

I called Sony to make them aware of the issue, they didn't have any fix. They only recommended me to change the HDMI cables.

I'm surprised by this fatal bug since this is the main feature of google tv. I'm not sure how Sony and Google let this go by in their QC testing.

I hope Sony can issue a software update to fix this issue soon.
DOMin8or
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by DOMin8or »

mine is working well for 7 days. preventional, i lifted it a bit up,
to have more air circulation under the device.
try to put distance peaces under the corners of the device.
DOMin8or
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by DOMin8or »

p.s. to forum admins...
i can`t select GS7 as my device... :-)
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

DOMin8or wrote:p.s. to forum admins...
i can`t select GS7 as my device... :-)
Fixed.

Thanks!