Now that NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploited. Now what?

Just looking to chat about anything, even if its not worth being chatted about. This is likely the place to go.
dave01568
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Now that NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploited. Now what?

Post by dave01568 »

I'm starting this topic thread to discuss the subject of what developers will do with this root/ exploit .

Ok we got a way of bypass Hulu and CBS block. You would think that that we be enough reason to hack your google tv and void your warranty. But I ask the question what's next and what's new. I look forward to the news from my fellow google tv users. Thanks
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Re: Now that NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploited. Now what?

Post by cj_000 »

What many overlook - unsigned kernel. This means, the chain of trust is broken. We can do just about anything we want, and use essentially all of the hardware.

If you want to install Ubuntu, you could (with, some work). Of course, that's not really the intention of the GTV, so the hope is to just make it better. It is faster (3.2 sped it up quite a bit) , but adding features in is nice. The start is flash bypass, which is done. NTFS support (in beta) is done. Network shares can be done manually.

What I'd love to see - adblock for chrome. We messed with it a bit, but were unsuccessful. Then again, we don't know too much on the innerworkings of chrome.
dave01568
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by dave01568 »

cj_000 wrote:What many overlook - unsigned kernel. This means, the chain of trust is broken. We can do just about anything we want, and use essentially all of the hardware.

If you want to install Ubuntu, you could (with, some work). Of course, that's not really the intention of the GTV, so the hope is to just make it better. It is faster (3.2 sped it up quite a bit) , but adding features in is nice. The start is flash bypass, which is done. NTFS support (in beta) is done. Network shares can be done manually.

What I'd love to see - adblock for chrome. We messed with it a bit, but were unsuccessful. Then again, we don't know too much on the innerworkings of chrome.

I like the large screen. Is this still android base tv or is it reverted back to chrome base system due to the downgrade or did i read that it reverted to android 2.3 or something like that? I'm a newbie tech guy
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

The base system is still Android 3.2.

The downgrade only downgraded the recovery to an older, exploitable version. The running system remains at 3.2!
George
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by George »

Does it interfer with 3d bluray support that was added with 3.2??
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

It should not. I don't have a 3D TV to test, but it should work without issue.
SXBB
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by SXBB »

Hey
It seems to have done just that. I applied the exploit and it went perfectly but it unfortunately seems to have broken the playback of 3d Bluray. If I insert a 3d Bluray it starts and throws an error about not detecting either a 3D Compatible TV or 3D compatible Bluray player. I have to do some more testing. Maybe it's got to do with an HDMI setting in the NSZ-GT1?

Update: Did a Factory data reset from the recovery menu and now 3D Bluray works fine! :-)
pkthunder
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by pkthunder »

I would like to see the installation of Android on it then we can install XBMC and all the other apps from the Play store