Logitech Revue 3.1 Official Release

Moderator: Revue Mod

zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: Logitech Revue 3.1 Official Release

Post by zenofex »

havikx wrote:just fought like crazy to get adb running on my revue. still don't have it. i'm hopeful now that there are members saying they got the OTA even though they were running the user debug without fixing the recovery.

so now...the real question...DO I UPDATE? i need real answers from the senior gtvhacker members.

why do i ask? cuz i'm on user debug. its got #...cept without R/w access to /system. i'm wondering if...in the future... this will be helpful to us trying to fully root this thing? companies love to throw patches in with updates that will block root. I'm sure this isn't any different.

give up semi-root and have official software (in hopes its more stable)
or keep buggy user debug (in hopes of an easier root exploit)

though...some1 correct me if i'm wrong...the only things that really stopping this thing from getting rooted to point of mods is the boot loader. boot loaders are hard to crack. not impossible. but considering the "sign the unlocked boot loader petition" signature from zeno, its not happening anytime soon. am i fair in making this assumption?

is cracking the boot loader still on the todo list or has it been deemed untouchable til logitech opens it? if they open it.

open to suggestions. i'd love to see this thing over clocked with an ICS port or something.
Wow, lots to answer there.

Well in regards to if you should update, it looks like they are rolling out the update to even users who have the UserDebug update. So you may not have much of a choice

As for if this could prevent a future root? It may, but really how good is another userspace root? At the moment the only use is to create another content bypass or to un-neuter recovery. I'm sure there will be another root at some point anyway.

In regards to the comment on the boot-loader, of course we are and will keep trying to find bugs in the boot-loader. The main reason we created the petition was that there was no reason to spend all the time looking for bugs when we hadn't even spent the few hours it took to create a online form and ask nicely for Logitech to open the boot-loader (If all else fails what really did we waste?). Don't take us making the petition as a sign that we are giving up on that by any means.

You didn't ask this particular question but if you're curious what I recommend for most users who are on userdebug but are only on it for a future more privileged root, then I recommend just playing it by ear. If your box updates from UserDebug to the current OTA, oh well. At least if Logitech kills your box with some auto-update you can have some recourse in contacting them, if you brick your box manually what can you complain about?

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
mrlaugh01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by mrlaugh01 »

THE FINAL BUILD RUNS SO SMOOTH!!!!

I upgraded from the initial beta that was leaked, and really happy I waited.
dB Zac
Android 1.0

Post by dB Zac »

I couldn't get the recovery to come up with a USB keyboard or the logitech but the update pushed on its own 15 min ago so all is well.
I love the addition of the youtube rentals!!
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

zenofex wrote:
havikx wrote:just fought like crazy to get adb running on my revue. still don't have it. i'm hopeful now that there are members saying they got the OTA even though they were running the user debug without fixing the recovery.

so now...the real question...DO I UPDATE? i need real answers from the senior gtvhacker members.

why do i ask? cuz i'm on user debug. its got #...cept without R/w access to /system. i'm wondering if...in the future... this will be helpful to us trying to fully root this thing? companies love to throw patches in with updates that will block root. I'm sure this isn't any different.

give up semi-root and have official software (in hopes its more stable)
or keep buggy user debug (in hopes of an easier root exploit)

though...some1 correct me if i'm wrong...the only things that really stopping this thing from getting rooted to point of mods is the boot loader. boot loaders are hard to crack. not impossible. but considering the "sign the unlocked boot loader petition" signature from zeno, its not happening anytime soon. am i fair in making this assumption?

is cracking the boot loader still on the todo list or has it been deemed untouchable til logitech opens it? if they open it.

open to suggestions. i'd love to see this thing over clocked with an ICS port or something.
Wow, lots to answer there.

Well in regards to if you should update, it looks like they are rolling out the update to even users who have the UserDebug update. So you may not have much of a choice

As for if this could prevent a future root? It may, but really how good is another userspace root? At the moment the only use is to create another content bypass or to un-neuter recovery. I'm sure there will be another root at some point anyway.

In regards to the comment on the boot-loader, of course we are and will keep trying to find bugs in the boot-loader. The main reason we created the petition was that there was no reason to spend all the time looking for bugs when we hadn't even spent the few hours it took to create a online form and ask nicely for Logitech to open the boot-loader (If all else fails what really did we waste?). Don't take us making the petition as a sign that we are giving up on that by any means.

You didn't ask this particular question but if you're curious what I recommend for most users who are on userdebug but are only on it for a future more privileged root, then I recommend just playing it by ear. If your box updates from UserDebug to the current OTA, oh well. At least if Logitech kills your box with some auto-update you can have some recourse in contacting them, if you brick your box manually what can you complain about?

Thanks,
Zenofex

spoken like a wise man. i'll just sit tight then and see if it auto updates. i'm surprised they don't ask you if you'd like to install it. i also wonder (not at the cost of my revue though) if you'd be able to backtrack to the user debug if the adb root was needed. thanks for the feedback. very helpful.

any progress on the boot loader, btw?
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
cdoty
Android 1.0

Post by cdoty »

Discovered wrote:you will have to do a factory reset once you update, you can do it by going into settings>privacy
Thanks for that, solved all my issues. I got the OTA update, but needed to do a factory reset as I had the first leaked beta installed.
Last edited by cdoty on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cdoty
Android 1.0

Post by cdoty »

rgomesf wrote:Everything was working ok, but Live TV just lost audio. I don't know why. I never got live tv audio again. Restart or reset didn't help. Restart stb also didn't help. Change the hdmi cable and still no audio.

It is really strange. Audio was ok and just stopped working...
Check your digital audio settings (assuming you're using the digital out), it gets reset back to Dolby. Your receiver may need PCM, mine did.
NZ Buc
Android 1.0

Post by NZ Buc »

bartnyogi wrote:That's what I thought - so to confirm:

I start updating the Official release, then at some stage I have to use adb again, and put the same "un-neutered recovery" on my revue again, and then it will work fine? (Or do I update the release again then or something?)

Sorry for delayed response. Away from computer for a bit: 1st-- It sounds as though people are getting the OTA to the debug build without doing anything. Looks as though ppl are trying to confirm, but you may want to hold off. If you want to go ahead:

You may or may not have to re-flash the un-neuter recover. If you do this is how I did it: Follow the instructions on the 1st page of this thread. When you get the recovery screen (TV with down arrow) hit Alt - L. If your recovery (un-neutered recovery) is still good you'll see words on the bottom left of the screen (formatting data/cache, etc....) and eventually will get a full recovery screen where you can choose 'apply zip from USB'. IF instead of getting the formatting text and going to the screen that let's you choose 'apply zip from USB' your box just goes into a reboot and asks you to re-log in you'll know that you have to re-flash the recovery. To do that I had to set the Revue up again, re-enable debugging, and re-enter the IP address to my laptop with ADB on it. Once I did that I was able to re-flash the un-neutered recovery then started on the update from step one [hold pair button until you see recovery screen (down arrow), Hit Alt-L, etc...].[/quote]

Thanks for replying - I'm away from home for a couple days - I decided against rushing and trying to update before leaving, and it now looks like I end up with a mug easier solution when I get back :)
tcblues
Android 1.0

Post by tcblues »

I'm a little confused... I also have the initial 3.1 beta in my Revue... did you get the OTA from logitech or did you install it from here?
mrlaugh01 wrote:THE FINAL BUILD RUNS SO SMOOTH!!!!

I upgraded from the initial beta that was leaked, and really happy I waited.
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

The update will come from logitech, they say the update will be finished by this weekend.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
herkguy
Android 1.0

Post by herkguy »

Has anyone received the offical OTA update on the first HC 3.1 beta? I have heard lots of people receiving it from the User Debug, but haven't heard any reports yet of receiving it with the beta installed.

If they are pushing it to the Beta I will probably just wait!