Updating to future USB updates from HC "User-Debug" leak

Moderator: Revue Mod

jd567890
Android 1.0

Re: Updating to future USB updates from HC "User-Debug" leak

Post by jd567890 »

MStrawder wrote:Google stated officially that the leaked versions will NOT receive the OTA. Logitech however may change that rollout process, but I doubt it. So those of us on the UDB will more then likely have to update manually. The process in this thread simply allowed us to utilize recovery again. The first build removed the ability for user input.
Oh well. Does this mean all future updates will require the same method, or will installing the official update when it is released allow for OTA updates thereafter? Or perhaps it's too early to tell?
micl9
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by micl9 »

jd567890 wrote:
MStrawder wrote:Google stated officially that the leaked versions will NOT receive the OTA. Logitech however may change that rollout process, but I doubt it. So those of us on the UDB will more then likely have to update manually. The process in this thread simply allowed us to utilize recovery again. The first build removed the ability for user input.
Oh well. Does this mean all future updates will require the same method, or will installing the official update when it is released allow for OTA updates thereafter? Or perhaps it's too early to tell?
In light of recent announcements by Logitech, doubtful we will ever see another release.
But who knows...
As Logitech is going to abandon the hardware (and us) Would be nice if they would at least help us root it. Then we would not need their OTAs. :mrgreen:
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

I think we will get the HC release. BUT I agree that since logitech is apparently abandoning this device, they should unlock the boot loader and let us do what we want with it.
MStrawder
Android 1.0

Post by MStrawder »

Interview with Rishi Chandra, Product Director of GTV, posted here that says users of the leaked versions will not be able to update and will have to buy another Revue. Referring to the OTA. Can't imagine it's locked from updating completely being that recovery is available.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

That would probably be due to the fact that they thought they could win by removing "recovery" from the leaks. That would be my guess.
MStrawder
Android 1.0

Post by MStrawder »

gdeeble wrote:That would probably be due to the fact that they thought they could win by removing "recovery" from the leaks. That would be my guess.
They didn't remove it. They just removed the ability for user input while in recovery.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

Sorry, that's what I meant.
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

MStrawder wrote:Interview with Rishi Chandra, Product Director of GTV, posted here that says users of the leaked versions will not be able to update and will have to buy another Revue. Referring to the OTA. Can't imagine it's locked from updating completely being that recovery is available.
His reasoning behind this is clear, when google/logitech/sony are pushing out updates through the the update servers they essentially choose which machines will be taking the upgrade. When doing this they are only selecting OTA firmwares to update and are not selecting the devices that are on development/userdebug builds. He is not talking about doing manual updates, he is only refering to OTA process. As we have mentioned in the past, after an official OTA update is released we will have it listed on the wiki as well as a thread on the forums on how to upgrade.

As for if the official Logitech OTA will enable recovery again, I doubt it.

-Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
publicanimal
Android 1.0

Post by publicanimal »

OK, so I got tired of waiting for Logitech to send out the official update and spent the day updating my Revue manually. First I installed the "original" HC leak update.zip via a USB micro-SD reader, this required booting into recovery with the [FN]+[Back button] command (or was it [FN] + the left button next to the OK button? Sources were conflicting so I just button mashed until it worked).

Next I installed the user-debug build as an update.zip, this time requiring a different button combination [Alt]+[L] to boot into recovery. I then installed the recovery supplied in the OP of this thread (THANK YOU very much for this).

My question is, having flashed the recovery provided in this thread, what button combination is now required to boot into recovery?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

publicanimal wrote:OK, so I got tired of waiting for Logitech to send out the official update and spent the day updating my Revue manually. First I installed the "original" HC leak update.zip via a USB micro-SD reader, this required booting into recovery with the [FN]+[Back button] command (or was it [FN] + the left button next to the OK button? Sources were conflicting so I just button mashed until it worked).

Next I installed the user-debug build as an update.zip, this time requiring a different button combination [Alt]+[L] to boot into recovery. I then installed the recovery supplied in the OP of this thread (THANK YOU very much for this).

My question is, having flashed the recovery provided in this thread, what button combination is now required to boot into recovery?
Alt+L, I believe.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx