Chromecast stream using Ethernet (USB)?

This section is for posts related to the Google Chromecast
irnerd
Android 1.0

Chromecast stream using Ethernet (USB)?

Post by irnerd »

Hi

Chromecast : its a love hate thing.
Love its ability to play rich content from many sources.
Hate that it clogs up my wi-fi Lan.

Has anyone had time to explore and successfully implement configuration / code changes to use the Chromecast USB socket to receive its stream over Ethernet? This would be instead of using Wireless to stream.

My wireless network is already hungry , cluttered with phones, tablets, laptops. It is spread over a wide distance (30 metres) (already using a wireless extender - making it straightforward for wife, parents, friends to connect to the network with their BYOD).

We are looking to reduce the load on the wifi and moving as much traffic onto wired ethernet (using PowerLines) makes far more sense. I have managed to move everything that streams to a static device (e.g. TV / Speakers) (audio especially) onto the wired ethernet except this hungry little device .

It just seems ludicrous to cram chromecast video streaming on wireless especially as we have a network GigaSwitch right next to the TV where the said chromecast streamer is connected.

Thoughts very much appreciated.

Irnerd
kodithomson50
Android 1.0

Re: Chromecast stream using Ethernet (USB)?

Post by kodithomson50 »

First post, go easy

Someone would likely need to reroute the IO of the wifi through the usb, and into an adapter which you'd need a driver for. I haven't read all this site yet to know what people have made of things yet.

Alternatively, or in the meantime,
Try mesh networking? There is a standard out there for this. Essentially it would allow you to connect your phone directly to the Chromecast, using a low-configuration ad-hoc network, between your phone or device, and the Chromecast. This would then allow other phones to connect to your router at their leisure, without interrupting much of the playback. Only relavent to content playing local from wireless devices though, not from Utube or Netflax.