issue with 1080p mkv files: alternative media player?

Talk about apps goes here.
suikerchiller
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

issue with 1080p mkv files: alternative media player?

Post by suikerchiller »

hi there,

First of all I want to state that I'm actually really happy with my Logitech Revue Google TV. I bought it via Amazon (since I live in The Netherlands) a week ago and when thinking about the bigger picture with regard to all the future capabilities, this mean machine is going to be mind-blowing :)

Earlier today I updated my Revue to HC 3.1 and in my opinion it's already a vast improvement with regard to the previous stable release that was running on it. For instance, with the past OS I couldn't play any mkv files at all. Now I can play 720p mkv files with the standard media player of revue (both via USB attached drive and network shared *Win&Mac* drives).

However, I'm still having issues with 1080p mkv files. It recognizes the file, but when I press it I get the "Cannot Play Video" error. Also tried to open the file with ES File Explorer. Unfortunately I again get a similar error.

Is there a good functioning alternative media player? I.e. available in the shared DropBox?

A lot of people are chatting here (and on other fora) about the official HC 3.1 release probably sorting out issues like these... But is it more reasonable to assume that it will never see the daylight and we will instead be made very happy with ICS? Maybe at the London Galaxy Tablet release party next week? *oh boy - do we know by now Google loves to combine releases LOL

Anyway, really hope someone can give some answers, because I need this mean machine to play 1080p mkv files... And yes, I know patience is a virtue, but I rather have my 100% conversion system working sooner than later :)

Many thanks in advance!
resno
The Green One
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: issue with 1080p mkv files: alternative media player?

Post by resno »

I dont think any real alternatives exist right now....So enjoy using your skills of patience.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
mcd2000
Ice Cream Sandwich
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: issue with 1080p mkv files: alternative media player?

Post by mcd2000 »

suikerchiller wrote:hi there,
Earlier today I updated my Revue to HC 3.1 and in my opinion it's already a vast improvement with regard to the previous stable release that was running on it. For instance, with the past OS I couldn't play any mkv files at all. Now I can play 720p mkv files with the standard media player of revue (both via USB attached drive and network shared *Win&Mac* drives).
Hi!
I am developing a video player for Revue. http://forum.gtvhacker.com/apps-and-sug ... ic215.html
Could you, please, try to play your file using this player (over USB and intergated SMB support)? If it fails, maybe you could share this file (part of it) to check why Revue is unable to play it.
I've noticed that Honeycomb Revue is pretty cool in playing FullHD videos. So, it is interesting, why you have these issues.
Many thanks.
ViMu Player
ViMu/GTVBox Google+ page
My devices: Logitech Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, Sony NSZ-GS7, Vizio Co-Star, Hisense Pulse (rooted), ASUS Qube and some others...