Media server for the Revue

Talk about apps goes here.
Aqualung
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Media server for the Revue

Post by Aqualung »

I've been looking for a media server to install on the Revue. Anyone knows of any such app? Once they put Honeycomb, I might give Twonky Mobile a try.
resno
The Green One

Re: Media server for the Revue

Post by resno »

I am curious why would you want to serve media from the Revue? It doesnt have much in the way of storage abilities.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
Aqualung
Android 1.0

Post by Aqualung »

resno wrote:I am curious why would you want to serve media from the Revue? It doesnt have much in the way of storage abilities.
Well, it's got a USB port, doesn't it? :roll:
resno
The Green One

Post by resno »

At this moment, there isnt a way to mount the usb drive and look at it. So, this isnt really an option, as far as I know. Maybe someone else can correct me.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
Aqualung
Android 1.0

Post by Aqualung »

resno wrote:At this moment, there isnt a way to mount the usb drive and look at it. So, this isnt really an option, as far as I know.
Hopefully Honeycomb will change that.
socalracer
Android 1.0

Post by socalracer »

It is possible to run a media server from the revue. I did it with the leak. I used a couple different ones to test things out.

Regarding my USB drive testing

Leak:

Works
Playing a 1min (size unknown) 1080.mp4 AAC file, it worked fine no skips from FAT32 usb drive 20GB partition

Doesn't work
Playing a 90min 10GB 1080.mp4 AAC file, the Logitech Player wouldn't play it, but the Avia Player tried but it skipped horribly

UserDebug:
Both work now flawlessly.

Side Note:
I have not been able to get 10GB 1080p files to stream seemless via wifi from a machine connected via ethernet to the router. When the Revue is hooked via Ethernet I was able to play a 30GB fully uncompressed BD mp4. This could be my router which was a WRT54G until about a month ago and now its WNR3300.
Aqualung
Android 1.0

Post by Aqualung »

@socalracer: Your Revue tinkering sounds wonderful--that is, if I understand you correctly. Note that I am nowhere near as demanding as you: what I actually need is to stream my FLAC collection to my Android devices on the LAN or the Internet. This may have to involve some transcoding, which I am confident that the Revue can handle without hiccups. Please read below my questions in response to your posting.
socalracer wrote:It is possible to run a media server from the revue. I did it with the leak.
I take it you used the leaked Honeycomb, right?
I used a couple different ones to test things out.
Different what? Different Honeycomb leaks, or different media servers? At any rate, I'd be very curious what media server you've been using: Twonky? Subsonic?
Regarding my USB drive testing

Leak:

Works
Playing a 1min (size unknown) 1080.mp4 AAC file, it worked fine no skips from FAT32 usb drive 20GB partition

Doesn't work
Playing a 90min 10GB 1080.mp4 AAC file, the Logitech Player wouldn't play it, but the Avia Player tried but it skipped horribly

UserDebug:
Both work now flawlessly.
Dunno what "Leak" and "UserDebug" mean. Care to explain? Leaked Honeycomb vs. your tweaked Honeycomb?

Many thanks!