Adding memory to the revue

Trying to further the development of the Android on the Revue? Talk about it hear and document it on the wiki: http://www.wiki.gtvhacker.com

Moderator: Revue Mod

grateful4advice
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Adding memory to the revue

Post by grateful4advice »

I read in the wiki about the 3 types of memory in the revue but I cant find any info about adding additional memory. How can you expand memory on the revue? Logitech says the revue does not permit local storage but the same rep says the honeycomb update will permit downloads from the market. He could not explain this conflict. The demo unit at best buy had 490 mb free.
If the memory cant be expanded can I plug in a usb drive and use an app like apps2sd? Thank you
resno
The Green One

Re: Adding memory to the revue

Post by resno »

Firstly you are confusing a number of things here.
grateful4advice wrote:I read in the wiki about the 3 types of memory in the revue but I cant find any info about adding additional memory.
What type of "memory are you looking to add?
grateful4advice wrote:Logitech says the revue does not permit local storage but the same rep says the honeycomb update will permit downloads from the market. He could not explain this conflict. The demo unit at best buy had 490 mb free.
Downloading apps through the market has nothing to do with the space available on the device.
grateful4advice wrote: If the memory cant be expanded can I plug in a usb drive and use an app like apps2sd? Thank you
Again, what type of memory do you mean?

Normally when people say memory, they mean RAM, is this what you mean?

Ram, Storage or otherwise?
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
grateful4advice
Android 1.0

Thank you for your reply. Sorry I have limited technical knowledge. Based on the wiki it sounds like the revue has 3 types of flash memory. I presume one is ram, one is rom and the third is user storage but I am just guessing. Since most android tablets have 1 gb of ram I assume the revue is okay on ram although it might be helpful to have more ram for hd video. I am most interested in expanding user storage. With my android phone I have moved almost all my apps to the sd card. Can I move apps to a thumb drive our usb hard drive on the revue? I would like to download content and store it locally as my internet connection is erratic.rnet connection is erratic.
debosmebo
Android 1.0

Post by debosmebo »

grateful4advice, don't worry about it. He's trying to be a smarta** who isn't actually smart. Your obviously talking about storage space for apps2sd. Unfortunately you cannot move apps to say an external hard drive or similar storage att. There's 1 GB of RAM and 5GB of NAND Flash memory. NAND Flash a device has and how much RAM it has are totally different things. Also the NAND Flash is used for both the system and part of it is thus reserved for installing apps. The Revue has 4GB of NAND Flash. About 3GB is reserved for the system and that leaves 1GB for installing apps. And you can't use this 1GB now because you can't install apps[not supposed to be able to :)]. The pre-installed apps (Netflix, Pandora..etc) all use up part of the 3GB reserve. If you check under Settings/About and scroll down you can see that you have probably around 400 MB remaining (of this 1GB)...this is referring to just the RAM that is not part at all of the 4GB Flash.
grateful4advice
Android 1.0

Dear debosmebo, I appreciate your informative reply. Do you know if the honeycomb update will permit local storage to a usb drive? if not, will rooting it and installing a custom rom permit local storage?

Thank you.
resno
The Green One

Post by resno »

debosmebo wrote:don't worry about it. He's trying to be a smarta** who isn't actually smart. Your obviously talking about storage space for apps2sd.
Im being smart? And Im not actually smart. I see.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::