Actual GTV (Google FIBER TV) hardware

Looking for help doing something. This is one of the best places to start.
obgyn kenobi
Android 1.0

Actual GTV (Google FIBER TV) hardware

Post by obgyn kenobi »

Tried search function and human search, found only an off-topic thread from 2014 about the SAGE200 which is what the GFTV devices are (rebranded). But nothing current, no guides. Hoping for something awesome to arise out of this question.

I have Google Fiber with TV (old plan 2015, no longer supported). Most of the hardware involved in these plans has been declared obsolete, so that if a customer decides to change plans or stop service, Google Fiber doesn't even want them to turn in the hardware. Here in my neighborhood the GFHD100 devices sell for $20-35 USD. The GFHD200 sell for $20-50. The GFMS100 and GFRG210 Network/Storage box sells for whatever a used 2T Western Digital Black is worth and the GFRG100 is worth $10-15 (because who wants a router that only support 2x2 MIMO and no WPA3).

Anyway, I kinda like the ancient technology of a sausage remote with 10-key channel selection. Either I'm old as dirt and want things old and simple, or I want to hold a "sausage" for hours on end.... (a little self-deprecating humor). I am tired of paying a "rental" fee on the set-top boxes I currently use. But just plugging a new set top box into the network doesn't work, the GFHD100/200 need to be provisioned to talk to the GFRG.

Google Fiber technical support says I cannot use my owed hardware. I have to rent. (It's a loophole on their end to avoid civil action under H.R. 1865). I have spent 11 hours in chat and on phone with GF customer service because they won't let me talk to technical support. This should be a task of three or four mouse clicks on their end.

The open source for the Google Fiber devices is here:
code.g*.com/archive/p/gfiber/
the domain google is prohibited in posts

Can someone figure out how to "provision" the set-top GFHD100/200?
I can purchase on ebay and ship to someone the required hardware for testing, or I can just donate BTC or XMR to someone for a successful patch.