Can I install the Honeycomb Beta on a non rooted device?

Moderator: Revue Mod

xor007
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Can I install the Honeycomb Beta on a non rooted device?

Post by xor007 »

Hello,

I ordered the Revue and received it a week ago. Still have not powered it on to avoid the patch that removes the ability to reach the root console.

I have opened the review and looked at the UART port. I can get a USB to serial convertor cheap around the corner. But my soldering skills are long forgotten.

I would rather avoid the soldering business if I can install the HC update without soldering. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Logitech Revue - Rooted (HC 3.1)
Toshiba Folio - Rooted (Various)
Desire HD - Rooted (CM7)
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: Can I install the Honeycomb Beta on a non rooted device?

Post by zenofex »

xor007 wrote:Hello,

I ordered the Revue and received it a week ago. Still have not powered it on to avoid the patch that removes the ability to reach the root console.

I have opened the review and looked at the UART port. I can get a USB to serial convertor cheap around the corner. But my soldering skills are long forgotten.

I would rather avoid the soldering business if I can install the HC update without soldering. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the leaked honeycomb beta is a signed Logitech update. No root is needed to update, although you will lose Netflix and void your warranty. The only upside currently to rooting you're revue is the content provider bypass for Hulu, and other online streaming sites.
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
xor007
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Can I install the Honeycomb Beta on a non rooted device?

Post by xor007 »

Thanks for the info!

Will take a chance with the warranty...
Logitech Revue - Rooted (HC 3.1)
Toshiba Folio - Rooted (Various)
Desire HD - Rooted (CM7)