Audio gain issues

Moderator: Revue Mod

Xaneth
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Audio gain issues

Post by Xaneth »

I searched the forum here and didn't find anyone having problems with audio gain. After updating to Honeycomb 3.1, my Revue has audio gain problems across the board. It's not just in particular file extension types or anything (mkv, avi, etc), just across the board. I've rented Amazon Instant Videos and they are just practically whispering. Though I enjoy the change to the interface, and Market, FINALLY, this pretty much bricks my Revue, it's not usable with such audio gain issues. I've seen these issues in Android on multiple phone and tablet applications as well. For instance, on my Nook, I have to use Nook Tweaks to get the DSP gain up, and the same goes for my Samsung Galaxy S, I have to use Voodoo Sound Control.

I feel really disappointed in the Revue. I paid full price for it back in December of 2010, and have just been holding my breath, waiting for it to become as open as all the other Android devices I have. There are literally no apps that run on it still, and now, of course, Netflix is broken as well. Is there any hope, or silver lining? People are picking this thing up for $99 now, so I'm starting to feel like someone who invested in an HP TouchPad or something here. I should have returned it, I'm that unhappy with it.
Xaneth
Android 1.0

Re: Audio gain issues

Post by Xaneth »

I guess part of my problem was putting too much stock in what they said at Google I/O 2010, when they mentioned a Market that you could push apps to any of your Android devices, etc. The eco-system has excluded and ignored GTV for some reason? They were pretty stoked about it when they introduced it.
surprisinguy
Android 1.0

Post by surprisinguy »

I've read a lot through these forums and from what I've read there is a definite census that if you install 3.1 beta you are basically playing with fire and there are several posts on here of bricked revues and other issues with the "update". Of course you have the select few that it went perfectly with and they fking love what they did. But it was still a risk, and it still might be weeks down the road. Might even be a possibility that the actual final update won't even self-update when the time comes.
Now I'm pretty technically savvy, though not a programmer or anything close, but when I read that people are having trouble with something and there's no way to fix it I usually sit tight until the proven fix/update works. The Revue does what it does within certain limitations and I think it does it well. The only big problem is with the media player (and I've gotten around that with a server), otherwise it's useable. So I dont see how you can complain about installing a beta knowing full well that the first few lines of the post in this forum here is pretty much "use at your own risk". It's kinda like a make your bed now lie in it kinda thing.
Too bad you had bad luck, I'll post when the Final version updates and let you know how awesome it is.
Xaneth
Android 1.0

Post by Xaneth »

Well, I'll complain all I want, because stock, this device was a huge, closed source, let down. If anything, the beta has made it more usable as an Android device, and I had much higher hopes for the Revue since Google made a lot of promises that didn't come true for first quarter of 2011. It may be weeks, it may be months, and I'm willing to wait. I actually don't care about Netflix, I have 1,000 other devices that play back that streaming nightmare of 1960 movies that are "new releases". My question was more directed at: "is anyone else seeing these audio gain issues"? There will be a "return to stock" thread if and when they open this device up, otherwise, I'm giving up on GTV, and giving it a proper Office Space burial. Surely they will come out with a new Revue 2 that will supercede this device once they develop GTV more, and I'm sure it will be cheaper and more open sourced, with applications that actually work on it. That's what I get for going bleeding edge, I admit, but I was never satisfied with the stock ROM on this thing, it sucked huge balls. The beta is far better, but unusable unfortunately.

The other reason I made this post was to give feedback to those here at GTVHacker. I read somewhere that this forum is looking for feedback from users who are actually running the beta, so that they can help Logitech improve it. So there's my contribution. Improve audio gain.
plow
Android 1.0

Post by plow »

This might help.
duckman55 wrote:I'm a big fan of Equalizer app and when browsing the Market's website I noticed they have a version of Equalizer optimized for GoogleTV! here's the link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ualizergtv

I then went to my revue running the leaked HC3.1, fired the Android Market and then did a search for "equalizer" and voila!

Low and behold, I was able to install it directly from the Market without having to side-load it and it works great! Right now I'm using it with the Stock Google Music app (which I did had to side-load) and it works like a charm! Now I can control audio effects on my Music player with this nifty little app!

I did run into an issue where, at first, the effects didn't seem to take effect on my Google Music player. But then all I did was play a song, hit the MENU hard key button and select "Sound effects" option. After doing that, every sound effect started working for me... I guess it needed to somehow recognize that there was a Music player installed?

Anyways, I thought I would share this really cool app with you guys, I downloaded it on my phone and tablet as well and it works like a charm on those as well! :shock: