Unable to root Nest

Post by stwt »

I get the following when attempting to root my Nest
found device 0x0451:0xd00e
download ok
while loop size = 246572
filesize = 246572
Error in usb_bulk_read: -110
- All Done, Drink all the booze, Hack all the things.
sharsa
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: Unable to root Nest

Post by sharsa »

I've had this same error "Error in usb_bulk_read: -110". It seems to be specific to the host you are running the script on, but I haven't found a definite answer as to why.

I'd recommend switching to another computer with different USB ports and run the script there. I was having problems with Ubuntu 12.04 on an Asus Desktop board, then switched to Crunchbang with Debian 7.7 on an Asus EeePC 1000. The problem went away, although I want to point out that the instructions are need to been very specific in the order that you do things: 1) run the script first, then 2) connect the Nest Thermostat, and then 3) reboot the Thermostat by holding down it's screen/button for 10 seconds.

Maybe it's something to do with the USB host controller or a bad cable, but it does read the device, so I can't understand it.
Other things to ensure is that you're using a 32-bit system or a 64-bit system on the host. It's been mentioned that it can have an impact, depending on instruction sets when compiling the images for the Thermostat.

Good luck!