Welcome Google Nest owners.

Come hack your nest!
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Welcome Google Nest owners.

Post by zenofex »

Welcome everyone to our new section for people to chat about and participate in Google Nest hacking and development. If you'd like to help support the GTVHacker network buy a Nest using our amazon affiliate link.
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
teckels
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Welcome Google Nest owners.

Post by teckels »

hey everyone, couple questions...

1. what would you do with a rooted nest? sweet they did but i'm not risking until I figure out a benefit.

2. what are you doing when you are away and unexpectedly come home during a time when the nest sent your ac to 76? using app to say home before you get home?
operator
Android 1.0

Post by operator »

Greetings.

Would it be considered poor form on my part to post instructions on how to change the boot logo?
It looks fairly straight forward and is probably something many people might like to do. (And, of course, could do anyway since you were kind enough to provide source.)
I would hate to imply that I wanted to take away from the obvious glory that is having your logo splashed on every rooted Nest.

Either way is fine with me. Never hurts to ask, right?
I would be happy to throw together a quick tutorial if you'll allow it.

Regards,
-ops
operator
Android 1.0

Post by operator »

operator wrote:Greetings.

Would it be considered poor form on my part to post instructions on how to change the boot logo?
It looks fairly straight forward and is probably something many people might like to do. (And, of course, could do anyway since you were kind enough to provide source.)
I would hate to imply that I wanted to take away from the obvious glory that is having your logo splashed on every rooted Nest.

Either way is fine with me. Never hurts to ask, right?
I would be happy to throw together a quick tutorial if you'll allow it.

Regards,
-ops
I will assume the lack of response to mean tacit approval.
jkazor
Android 1.0

Post by jkazor »

As an HVAC contractor, this is what I would do with a rooted nest:
1. Display my company logo, phone number at appropriate times.
2. Automatically contact me if my customer has a system failure
3. allow me to push maintenance reminders or specials at appropriate times.

If I had that, I would:
-Make these devices available free for all of my customers with paid annual agreements (but retain ownership)
-Periodically upgrade/replace them as the equip technology advances.

Currently, a lot of HVAC contractors are suspicious of smart thermostats because the feel it is a means for someone else to contact and direct business to their customers. If they were able to benefit from the above changes, they would be buying a whole lot of them.