How to save and restore current Roku firmware?

This section is for all Roku devices
MurrayR
Android 1.0

How to save and restore current Roku firmware?

Post by MurrayR »

What happens in the future if we ever inadvertently screw up the rooted Roku with experimental firmware, or just need to restore original Roku firmware if passing the device on to someone else?

Will a factory reset restore original firmware from ROM? Has anyone tried it?

And if that factory firmware is an older non-hackable version 4.something, as it probably is, and Roku has already patched the security hole in their latest 5.4+ firmware, does that mean we can never root the device again?

Could we possibly save the current version 5.3 rooted firmware in a way that could be restored in future in order to prevent that?
drh
Android 1.0

Re: How to save and restore current Roku firmware?

Post by drh »

This sucks, I just bought a Roku 2 XS to deploy this hack on.

Out of the box, I was able to get into the developer menu but I couldn't get to the password screen without letting the box update first.

Now its updated, I can get to the reset password screen but the box doesn't do the same thing as in the video, when I put the command in and click reset password, the password field just clears!?!?!

If thats because build 3063 already fixes the problem, that was a short lived hack because that infer's the hack is already dead and buried unless someone already has a box pre 3063 that has been activated.
I couldn't see any way around being able to get the reset password option up without first activating the box and to do that you have to also let it update :-(

So have I just wasted nearly £70??
AZImmortal
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by AZImmortal »

So just to confirm what drh is asking, it's not possible to buy a brand new Roku that hasn't been updated and root it?
drh
Android 1.0

Post by drh »

It looks like that from my experience but I would like one of the guru's involved with the hack to confirm!

I bought a box from amazon a couple of days after the announcement.
Clearly this box had old firmware on because as soon as I booted it up, it wanted to be updated.

I was able to get into the developer menu from the update screen BUT I was unable to complete the process documented because every time the box rebooted, it wanted to update before I could access the correct menu for implementing the hack (the password menu).

:-(
drh
Android 1.0

Post by drh »

I've decided to return my Roku 2 XS as I only bought it last week.

I bought the device within 2 days of the hack being announced and As Roku have been arses and blocked this hack already, I've decided to return my Roku to Amazon for a refund in protest.

Allowing us to tinker with our hardware to use 3rd party services like XBMC etc wouldn't have hurt them, if anything it would have encouraged more sales!!

I've got an abundance of streaming options already, so I won't be missing anything. I only bought it to tinker with and as the hack has already been blocked, I see no reason to gift Roku with my money.

I would praise them for their swift response to the hack, but its actually back-fired on them in my opinion because I think they would have seen a significant increase in sales from people like ourselves who like to tinker with their devices, side loading otherwise non-supported apps.

It is however their prerogative to curtail their devices usage and its our prerogative to say screw you then, have it back if we can't do what we want with our purchases :-)