Say Hello to the Netgear NeoTV Prime and “PrimePwn”

zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Say Hello to the Netgear NeoTV Prime and “PrimePwn”

Post by zenofex »

This thread is for discussion of our most recent blog post Say Hello to the Netgear NeoTV Prime and “PrimePwn”.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
jarrettv
Android 1.0

Re: Say Hello to the Netgear NeoTV Prime and “PrimePwn”

Post by jarrettv »

Nice job. We really need to get you an LG TV.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

Any have a NeoTV and Hisense pulse? I have the pulse, want to pick of the NeoTV and compare but would love to hear someone else's thoughts on this. Thanks
enaybee
Android 1.0

Post by enaybee »

I got my NeoTV Prime a couple of days ago. Even though I haven't really got a chance to test out each and every feature. But following is the run down of what I have tested and my thoughts:

- This is my first ever Google TV device so I can't really compare to past experience.
- Device is small (slightly bigger than WDTV Pro footprint). Remote is well built and has a hefty feel to it. Comparing photos with previous gen. NeoTV/s, this remote has a larger touch pad and has a LED on the QWERTY pad side to indicate if the keyboard is in locked position or not. Overall remote is fairly easy to use and I only had a couple of touch pad interference while I was trying to type something in Chrome browser. Now I am just careful when I am typing something on the keyboard.
- Device UI is quick and smooth (not the quickest or smoothest) and transitions are snappy. I like the default layout. You can use Open Launcher from Play Store if you want a different layout and looks for the home launcher.
- I updated the device shortly after second reboot. This updates fixes the mapping of MyMedia button on Remote and some minor fixes plus addition of Amazon Instant Video in "All Apps".
- HDMI pass through works like a champ with upto full HD quality (where offered). I didn't get a chance to setup IR blaster so can't say if it controls my FiOS cable box or not. But when I do I will get back and update the post. It also offers PIP (Picture In Picture) so that you can run live TV in a tiny window when you run something else. But PIP is not supported in all apps.
- All other features/apps work fine including Amazon Instant (web interface), Netflix and youtube (I love the interface of youtube). Easily paired youtube with my Galaxy Note II and started playing videos with no problems. Playback is nice and smooth supporting upto full HD if video content is HD. I am running this box on wireless G connection.
- I haven't got a chance to try out local media playback or audio streaming (i.e. included pandora or IHeatRadio) but this is something I am working on. Will update with results.
- This box comes with an ad supported verison of app "aVia Media Player" which is a DLNA server and DLNA renderer. I have had mixed results with it so far. Best combination I got is when I installed iMediaShare app on my phone to push videos/photos from my phone to GTV. GTV received videos and photos from my phone and playedback using aVia renderer with no problems. iMediaShare allows you to stream local content stored on your phone as well as video content from many websites (including Break.com and some video blogs etc).
- aVia Media app saw local shares on my network with no problems (PC shares and DLNA servers) but had problems with file playback. I think the media playback format support is pretty thin on NeoTV Prime. So you have to pick your file formats for playback very carefully. But I can tell you that it played .mp4 just fine.
- Browser worked fine no complaints.
- SlingPlayer app is the main reason I bought this box. I have a SlingCatcher hooked up to SlingBox pro HD. Since slingcatcher box is not on sale anymore so I was on a lookout for something that could duplicate this functionality. For that NeoTV prime rocks. Slingplayer app is similar to what you get on Android/iPhone and is easy to control with touch pad or keyboard. Good interface and no setup required if already have your SlingBox setup.
- This box didn't pickup PogoPlug device on my network through aVia Media App.
- I don’t have a compatible WiDi computer to check out wireless PC screen mirroring feature. But at this point I am not even sure if that’s included.

I bought this device from NewEgg where you can see 3 -4 negative reviews. I will add mine when I am done testing out all the features this box has to offer. Hopefully I will add a positive one. So far I am happy with this box. A couple of apps have crashed a couple of times and I don't mind it. Box runs a little warm but not hot. I have been running it non-stop from the day I got it. For me this purchase is worth its price just for slingplayer app only (as I paid hundred and seventy plus for SlingCatcher box). Rest of the box and its features are additional bonus for me. I hope you have a positive experience with this box as well. If you have any questions or want me to try out anything specific for you let me know and I will see what I can do.
Last edited by enaybee on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

I would love to know if the update allows you to still run in rooted mode. That would be great! Please update this post after rooting. Thanks
Meridian
Android 1.0

Post by Meridian »

My observations so far after rooting:
Superuser installed
Hulu.com sends me to the Hulu plus sign up page in chrome. Works in another browser perhaps? User error? :D
It appears that manually trying to update the box also fails. Update downloads, but then get message that download failed.

So yeah, if the root method still works with 1.09, is there any way to get the update after rooting?

Appreciate the work. Can't wait to see what else this device can (be made to) do.
demologik
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by demologik »

sry dbl post..
Last edited by demologik on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

Thats a realky important thing a lot of people are waiting on. Please update when you can
demologik
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by demologik »

Just got my Neotv Prime installed.. It automatically updated.. ill post results after attempting to root.

UPDATE: Root Still Works! =]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtcKkEXoOUg

video clip of root process on updated neotv prime..
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

is hulu working after root?

You said you had a pulse, I know they are cheap but how do the two compare as far as remote and smoothness go. Thanks again for the video very helpful.