Rooting broke Slingplayer? Here's a fix.

kcap122
Android 1.0

Rooting broke Slingplayer? Here's a fix.

Post by kcap122 »

Hey guys,

Great work on the root, but I noticed that after I rooted with PrimePwn, my SlingPlayer app stopped working. This appears to be because the root exploit changes the user agent string in the libflashplayer.so binary. Although this might make it possible to watch things like Hulu Plus, I found it much more important to be able to use my slingbox.

There's a pretty easy fix I came up with, and I wanted to make sure other people knew how to do it.
The rooting script contains the following line to change the device's flash user agent from GTV to Win:

Code: Select all

/system/bin/busybox sed -ir "s/(GTV [0-9]+,[0-9]+,[0-9]+,[0-9]+)/WIN 11,5,102,063/" "/system/chrome/bin/plugins/libflashplayer.so"
So, we just need to revert that change. Here are the steps:
NOTE: YOU RUN THESE COMMANDS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I CANNOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY EFFECTS INCIDENTALLY OR DIRECTLY CAUSED BY YOUR DECISION TO USE THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS.
  • Open up google TV, go to Settings --> Applications --> Development. Check "Remote debugging."
    Scroll down to Debugger IP address, and click.
    Find out what your computer's local IP address is. Then, enter it in the field on the GTV.
    Download the ADK tools. I'm not going to run through how to use these.
    Find out the IP address of your GTV box.
    Go to the place where you installed ADB, and type the following commands into a terminal prompt at that location. The below assumes that your device has an IP address of 192.168.1.66. Yours probably does not. Use yours.

adb connect 192.168.1.66
    adb shell
    su -

A box may pop up on screen asking for your permission. Press Grant, or Accept, or whatever looks affirmative.
    Type:

mount -o,remount -rw/system
    sed -ir "s/WIN/GTV/" "/system/chrome/bin/plugins/libflashplayer.so"
    mount -o,remount -ro /system
    reboot

At this point, your GTV will reboot. When it comes back up, Slingplayer will work again!

Keep up the good work, guys!
dixeflatline
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: Rooting broke Slingplayer? Here's a fix.

Post by dixeflatline »

Awesome catch. I am going to try this out later tonight.

Thanks,
DFL
jforte21
Android 1.0

Re: Rooting broke Slingplayer? Here's a fix.

Post by jforte21 »

I know this is an old thread, but could someone walk me through how this should be entered into the ADB Shell? I am connected, but I can't seem to get the information entered correctly. If I copy and paste it in, I get invalid option and not found errors..Thanks in advance.