Hot to get connected with adb

azrat
Android 1.0

Hot to get connected with adb

Post by azrat »

This may help some users

Getting connected with ADB

1. DO NOT take the upgrade! You will not be able to root if you do
2. Get the Android SDK here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download
3. Get the Pulse Modification script here: http://wiki.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Hisense_Pulse
4. Unzip the SDK to your PC’s C drive.
5. Unzip the Pulse Modification script and copy pulse_root.sh file to the C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86\sdk\platform-tools folder
6. Type CMD in the search programs and files box (click windows orb/start button)
7. At the command box’s dos prompt type: cd\adt-bundle-windows-x86\sdk\platform-tools

Installing the pulse_root.sh script

You should be in the adt-bundle-windows-x86\sdk\platform-tools folder.
Then type:
adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV> <PRESS ENTER>
adb root <PRESS ENTER>
adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV> <PRESS ENTER>
adb push pulse_root.sh /tmp/pulse_root.sh <PRESS ENTER>
adb shell <PRESS ENTER>

In the adb shell prompt, which should currently be displaying a "#" enter the following without quotes: "cd /tmp; sh pulse_root.sh" <PRESS ENTER>
Reboot the device, unplug power and plug back in

Modifying Chromes User Agent

Open Chrome on the Pulse
Click the Menu button (Between Web and FN)
Choose Settings
Choose Advanced Settings
Click on "Under the Hood" in the left panel
Scroll down to the User Agent section and choose "Custom User Agent"
You can choose "Generic User Agent" if you'd like but we recommend using "Custom User Agent" along with a legitimate PC User Agent such as those found at UserAgentString.com
You're finished, restart the device and enjoy Fox/NBC/CBS/Hulu/Etc.

I used this Custom User Agent, seems OK
Copy & Paste this in the box, click OK and reboot
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/22.0.1216.0 Safari/537.2

Troubleshooting:

How to get the IP address of your GTV
HOME>MENU>SYSTEM SETTINGS>NETWORK>NETWORK INFO

How to get the IP address of your computer
type ipconfig <PRESS ENTER> from the CMD prompt

Enable remote debugging on the GTV

HOME>MENU>SYSTEM SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>DEVELOPMENT>REMOTE DEBUGGING
Enable remote debugging and enter the IP address of your computer as the debugger IP address.
Choose "set" to set it.

Other
You must run adb via your PC on the same LAN.
On your computer at a command prompt, change to the folder where adb resides and type:
adb connect <your GTV's IP address>:5555 <PRESS ENTER>

Note: If you find any errors or confusion in this writing let me know and I will correct it.
Last edited by azrat on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gtvguy
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Hot to get connected with adb

Post by gtvguy »

You don't need the entire SDK just for adb. You can get it separately from many places, including:
http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/sdk/adb.zip

Also, it should be
adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV>:5555
5555 is the port number.
Logitech Revue and Hisense Pulse
azrat
Android 1.0

Post by azrat »

gtvguy wrote:You don't need the entire SDK just for adb. You can get it separately from many places, including:

Also, it should be
adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV>:5555
5555 is the port number.
I saw the post about the 5555. I did not have to do it though, it defaulted to 5555

Steve
azrat
Android 1.0

Post by azrat »

[quote="gtvguy"]You don't need the entire SDK just for adb. You can get it separately from many places, including:

If you get the adb only file you will need to change a lot of the steps outlined.
kermit_01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by kermit_01 »

azrat wrote:
gtvguy wrote:You don't need the entire SDK just for adb. You can get it separately from many places, including:

If you get the adb only file you will need to change a lot of the steps outlined.
I put just the required ADB files in a directory at c:\adb --- then if I have scripts or what ever to push its just allot easier from the command prompt. I do have the full SDK installed also, just in case I need it.

Also since nobody else has said it, nice walk through... Maybe this could a get a sticky?
Android 1.0

Post by newbie »

Am I out of luck if I have a mac??? Is this process only going to work on a PC?
gtvguy
Android 1.0

Post by gtvguy »

newbie wrote:Am I out of luck if I have a mac??? Is this process only going to work on a PC?
Should work on Mac. See adb.zip I linked above. It contains Mac, Linux, and Windows versions.
araner
Android 1.0

Post by araner »

Hello,
I just got my Hisense Pulse Box today and went through every step of the instructions (including cutting an opening for the UART header which I intend to have a lot of fun with later...) first on Ubuntu and then on OSX Lion. I got all the way through to the end but alas... no root :|
My preferred platform is Linux because I'm more familiar with the CLI, but because Ubuntu includes adb in aptitude, it just goes right ahead and installs in its own directory. So when you try to find an equivalent to the "C Drive" in Linux it requires root access, and that's a pain in the butt in Ubuntu right now (in certain cases).
So I figured I'd give it a shot on the "friendly drag n drop" OSX... I already had the SDK with adb installed on my Mac so I figured it shouldn't be too hard to use... Once I figured out that Mac commands use ./adb instead of just "adb" things seemed to go relatively smoothly until the "adb push" part... For some reason adb just would not recognize the folder path I unzipped the pulse script into. After typing and searching about every iteration I could think of, I finally just moved the pulse script folder to my desktop. That seemed to do the trick but when I pasted the final "fcd /tmp; sh pulse_root.sh" command it led into some weird binary number pattern... Not knowing if this was normal or not, I just went ahead and rebooted and changed my Chrome settings per the tutorial... Upon rebooting... No SuperUser... :|
Anybody here speak Mac or Linux? I'm wondering if I missed some obvious OS translations or if it just plain doesnt want to work on a Mac? If I could figure out the Root Access issue on Linux, I would go that route as well...

Any suggestions?
gtvguy
Android 1.0

Post by gtvguy »

araner wrote:Hello,
I just got my Hisense Pulse Box today and went through every step of the instructions (including cutting an opening for the UART header which I intend to have a lot of fun with later...) first on Ubuntu and then on OSX Lion. I got all the way through to the end but alas... no root :|
My preferred platform is Linux because I'm more familiar with the CLI, but because Ubuntu includes adb in aptitude, it just goes right ahead and installs in its own directory. So when you try to find an equivalent to the "C Drive" in Linux it requires root access, and that's a pain in the butt in Ubuntu right now (in certain cases).
So I figured I'd give it a shot on the "friendly drag n drop" OSX... I already had the SDK with adb installed on my Mac so I figured it shouldn't be too hard to use... Once I figured out that Mac commands use ./adb instead of just "adb" things seemed to go relatively smoothly until the "adb push" part... For some reason adb just would not recognize the folder path I unzipped the pulse script into. After typing and searching about every iteration I could think of, I finally just moved the pulse script folder to my desktop. That seemed to do the trick but when I pasted the final "fcd /tmp; sh pulse_root.sh" command it led into some weird binary number pattern... Not knowing if this was normal or not, I just went ahead and rebooted and changed my Chrome settings per the tutorial... Upon rebooting... No SuperUser... :|
Anybody here speak Mac or Linux? I'm wondering if I missed some obvious OS translations or if it just plain doesnt want to work on a Mac? If I could figure out the Root Access issue on Linux, I would go that route as well...

Any suggestions?
1) On Linux, just extract pulse_root.sh to your Home directory or some other directory to which you have access then adb push it from there.
2) On Mac, did you run the command "cd /tmp; sh pulse_root.sh" (note that it is not "fcd" as you typed) from within the adb root shell connected to the Pulse (as opposed to locally on your Mac)?Are you sure you extracted the .sh script from the .zip?
araner
Android 1.0

Post by araner »

Score one for Ubuntu! In the end I ended up downloading the adb-only program
to my home folder on Ubuntu and from there the CLI was a breeze! The whole process took about 7 minutes including the user agent change on Chrome.
One thing that keeps happening is the dialog on the Pulse pops up 3 or 4 times after I boot saying "whoops I crashed, sending bug report..." I assume the "crash" is caused by modification to the OTA update prompt where otherwise it would be trying to get me to update? Also, I should mention the first time I rebooted after adb and before changing the Chrome user agent, it tried to update me automatically. It flashed "System will Shut Down for System Update Reboot" but I stopped it and clicked on "Update Later" in the dialog. I don't know if this is new or what, but it was a close call...

Other Observations- working with adb on OSX was a long exercise in frustration. Most of the difficulties revolved around getting the right file path, but even when I managed to find a file path it accepted, it returned a bunch of errors after posting from the shell prompt (my pasted command was a typo from a different computer so it wasnt what I actually entered...). Which is where I found myself last night when I first posted... I was using adb from the standard SDK, which I already have installed as my main development environment. So it may have worked if I tried the Mac version of the program I ended up using in Linux.
In any case somebody may want to look into setting it up on a Mac and posting details on how to add the correct file path.

Thank You For This Great Work!
Now to get my hands on that UART... I do a lot of playing around with Raspberry Pi, Microcontrollers and other embedded Linux systems so I've got more TTL-USB adapter type tools then I know how to deal with...

Thanks Again,
Another Happy Hacker!