Hulu after root...and other thoughts

Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Re: Hulu after root...and other thoughts

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote: Thanks much for all the great info and easy to understand. I made a pulse for dummy so I know exact what I need to do for my next one coming in a few days lol

No problem, hope it all works out for you.
Ok I just got my new unit and rooted it right but this time when rebooted it goes into a boot loop :( I even try to reset to factory and still no work. I did notice the Pulse is very hot so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im letting it cool down and try again later. Do you have any idea?
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

Yellowmann wrote:
kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote: Thanks much for all the great info and easy to understand. I made a pulse for dummy so I know exact what I need to do for my next one coming in a few days lol

No problem, hope it all works out for you.
Ok I just got my new unit and rooted it right but this time when rebooted it goes into a boot loop :( I even try to reset to factory and still no work. I did notice the Pulse is very hot so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im letting it cool down and try again later. Do you have any idea?
I got it out of the boot loop after it cool down. BTW what root browser to use? I try searching and non is compatible :(
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

Ok I just got my new unit and rooted it right but this time when rebooted it goes into a boot loop :( I even try to reset to factory and still no work. I did notice the Pulse is very hot so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im letting it cool down and try again later. Do you have any idea?[/quote]

I got it out of the boot loop after it cool down. BTW what root browser to use? I try searching and non is compatible :([/quote]

Ok sorry for all the post but im getting frustrated that the pulse keep on rebooting on its own. I guess due to overheating. The first one I have didn't have this problem and it was place in the same location. Any idea? Also I can get on hulu and I did change chrome to Custom User Agent. Other than not able to verify the .zip file being in cache since I cant find root browser app compatible everything else seem to be showing that its rooted. I hope I dont need to send this back to Amazon due to the rebooting problem.

edit what custom user agent to use? I think that is my problem why hulu is not working.
kermit_01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by kermit_01 »

Yellowmann wrote:Ok I just got my new unit and rooted it right but this time when rebooted it goes into a boot loop :( I even try to reset to factory and still no work. I did notice the Pulse is very hot so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im letting it cool down and try again later. Do you have any idea?

I got it out of the boot loop after it cool down. BTW what root browser to use? I try searching and non is compatible :(

Ok sorry for all the post but im getting frustrated that the pulse keep on rebooting on its own. I guess due to overheating. The first one I have didn't have this problem and it was place in the same location. Any idea? Also I can get on hulu and I did change chrome to Custom User Agent. Other than not able to verify the .zip file being in cache since I cant find root browser app compatible everything else seem to be showing that its rooted. I hope I dont need to send this back to Amazon due to the rebooting problem.

edit what custom user agent to use? I think that is my problem why hulu is not working.

This is the user agent I used.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1309.0 Safari/537.17

I've read where some people do encounter the over heating. My suggestion is give it plenty of space. I originally put mine in a cabinet, but after just a little while it was hot enough to fry eggs on so I moved it on top of the cabinet. It still gets warm, but the air flow helped.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7600513/com.est ... id.pop.apk

Thats a link to ES File Manager. Side load that. Go into setting and pick to allow root and mount file system. When you pick root it should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions.

You'll know your rooted. Before it would let me browse the root system though I had to reboot, you may or may not have to.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
Yellowmann wrote:Ok I just got my new unit and rooted it right but this time when rebooted it goes into a boot loop :( I even try to reset to factory and still no work. I did notice the Pulse is very hot so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Im letting it cool down and try again later. Do you have any idea?

This is the user agent I used.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1309.0 Safari/537.17

I've read where some people do encounter the over heating. My suggestion is give it plenty of space. I originally put mine in a cabinet, but after just a little while it was hot enough to fry eggs on so I moved it on top of the cabinet. It still gets warm, but the air flow helped.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7600513/com.est ... id.pop.apk

Thats a link to ES File Manager. Side load that. Go into setting and pick to allow root and mount file system. When you pick root it should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions.

You'll know your rooted. Before it would let me browse the root system though I had to reboot, you may or may not have to.
You are the man with all your help with my questions... I did some research before waiting for you to reply and found what I was not doing in my root sequence and I did use the same user agent you mention.

Regarding side loading... how do you know what apk will work with Pulse GTV? When I'm on Google play and search for apps some say will work and some will not but seem like searching on Pulse vs PC give me different results.

Anyway, I am returning my second Pulse for a new one because of this overheating. The first one I got didn't have this problem so hope the 3rd is the charm.
kermit_01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by kermit_01 »

Most of its just trial and error. I got the first gen Sony the week it came out and the first thing I did was backup all the apps I used on my phone and tested them on GTV. There are some that are simply blocked from working, some that won't work because they require ceartin libraries that aren't included with the GTV version of android and some won't work for other various hardware reasons. If you google around you'll find lists people have made, but mostly if there's something I want to test I install it on my phone and back it up to dropbox and then I download it and install it. If it works great..if not no harm..
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

How to access the USB files from file manager? The pulse see that I have usb connected. When I'm in file mgr I keep clicking up so the folder goes to the top to maybe see folder for my jump drive but no luck. Any suggestion?

NM... I use your file manager and was able to see it. But how do i rename and change file permission?
Android 1.0

Post by newbie »

Can anyone who has rooted successfully please write up a quick step by step process for newbies like me? It would be greatly appreciated. The original directions assume that I know more than I do. lol Pulse is being delivered Today!! Thanks in advance.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
jmprnbr1 wrote:can someone tell me how they disabled the update popup. My box keeps asking to system update.
adb in (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip

Or install root browser navigate to cache and erase the zip file.
Ok I rooted my 3rd pulse but it say download and install update. Well if I'm rooted but why can I click it and it started the process this time? I definitely don't want to accidentally update like my first pulse by checking updates. I even check the cache folder for zip file but its empty. Do you know where else it can be download to and what the update file name is? TIA
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:
jmprnbr1 wrote:can someone tell me how they disabled the update popup. My box keeps asking to system update.
adb in (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip

Or install root browser navigate to cache and erase the zip file.
Ok I rooted my 3rd pulse but it say download and install update. Well if I'm rooted but why can I click it and it started the process this time? I definitely don't want to accidentally update like my first pulse by checking updates. I even check the cache folder for zip file but its empty. Do you know where else it can be download to and what the update file name is? TIA