Hulu after root...and other thoughts

kermit_01
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Hulu after root...and other thoughts

Post by kermit_01 »

Rooting went off with out a hitch using the GTVhacker script.. I am able to access Hulu and other previouslly blocked websites. While I only tested a few websites and had no issues on Comedy Central or Syfy I still encountered a problem with Hulu. After selecting a show eveything works for about 20 seconds and then the sound quits. The video continues to play everything else is normal, other applications still have sound and i can change to another website still have sound with no issues. Anyone encounter this or am I the only one?

Also I'm extremely disappointed with the device control. My Philips HR22 from DirecTV for example on both my revue and Gen-1 Sony is listed under Philips, but not on the Hisense, its listed under DirecTV. While it is a DirecTV DVR the manfactuer is Philips. I only happened accross it by luck under under DirecTV. My LG TV is not in the aviliable models and it wants me to scroll through 99 possible codes. In attempting, after selecting the next code the box freezes for about 10 to 15 seconds. I made it through about 45 codes before I gave up. I can't tell if I simply have the IR in a bad position, if the box is locking up and not actually sending the command, or if its not the right one.

I had also read somewhere that the remote was suppose to detect how you were holding the remote and shut off the keys on the side your not using. Either mines defective or its not true for the touch pad because while attempting to type with the keypad if I tap the touch pad it moves the mouse and in turn the coursor.

It also locked up twice with in the first hour forcing me to pull the power.

Over all I only had about an hour to mess with it after rooting but its made a less then stellar impression.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Re: Hulu after root...and other thoughts

Post by jmprnbr1 »

Can someone post a little more detailed instructions on how to root the Hisense Pulse, I have my box arriving Tuesday and want to make sure I can root it ok. I read about the adb on first boot but do I need to have anything else installed on the PC or box. I have the developer stuff on my box and I tried ADB to my phone but it never connects, not sure if I need to do something else on my new box?

A little more detail about connecting would be great. Thanks

Jmprnbr1
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

I followed the directions at the bottom of this link..

http://wiki.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Hisense_Pulse

It worked. I have the SDK and ADB on my laptop from rooting previous phones.

The only thing the directions on the page failed to mention was that when connecting

adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV>

should actually read

adb connect <IP_OF_YOUR_GTV>:5555

I had never used adb over wifi so I had no clue that I needed to specify a port and there's no reference to it in the direction on the wiki. So I googled around a bit and found reference to 5555 being the default port.

--- and even though the script says it disables updates while rooting it the box downloaded the update so when I rebooted it asked me install the update. I side loaded rom toolbox and used the startup manager to disable the systemupdate service, after that I cleared the notification and rebooted. No more update prompt.

If you need any other assistance let me know I'm happy to lend what limited knowledge I have.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

Please help!

I have been trying to connect via ADB and I get unable to connect every time. I am able to connect to my phone without issue? I am really stumped, did you have to boot the device into a recovery mode or did you do it right from the regular menu? I have the correct build also. Thanks

Jmprnbr1
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

Get the internal IP address of your computer.

Get the IP address of your GTV
HOME>MENU>SYSTEM SETTINGS>NETWORK>NETWORK INFO

Enable remote debugging on the GTV

menu>system settings>applications>Development>remote debugging
enter the IP address of your computer as the debugger IP address (not the IP address of the GTV)
Choose "set" to set it.

adb via your LAN
On your computer, act as if you were running adb locally (be in right directory, have right permissions, etc.)

adb connect <your GTV's IP address>:5555

Hope that helps.
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

That helped I got it working, but I didn't get the superuser installed? Also were you able to get it to control your TV mine does not seem to work at this point. Thanks again for all the help.
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

jmprnbr1 wrote:That helped I got it working, but I didn't get the superuser installed? Also were you able to get it to control your TV mine does not seem to work at this point. Thanks again for all the help.

You're gonna have to be more specific as to what the problem is your encountering. Are you using the script provided by GTVhacker at the wiki?

http://wiki.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Hisense_Pulse
jmprnbr1
Android 1.0

Post by jmprnbr1 »

Sorry about that, yes I used their and your instructions and the script they provided. I watched the script and it said it completed all its tasks.
Yellowmann
Android 1.0

Post by Yellowmann »

kermit_01 wrote:Rooting went off with out a hitch using the GTVhacker script.. I am able to access Hulu and other previouslly blocked websites. While I only tested a few websites and had no issues on Comedy Central or Syfy I still encountered a problem with Hulu. After selecting a show eveything works for about 20 seconds and then the sound quits. The video continues to play everything else is normal, other applications still have sound and i can change to another website still have sound with no issues. Anyone encounter this or am I the only one?

Also I'm extremely disappointed with the device control. My Philips HR22 from DirecTV for example on both my revue and Gen-1 Sony is listed under Philips, but not on the Hisense, its listed under DirecTV. While it is a DirecTV DVR the manfactuer is Philips. I only happened accross it by luck under under DirecTV. My LG TV is not in the aviliable models and it wants me to scroll through 99 possible codes. In attempting, after selecting the next code the box freezes for about 10 to 15 seconds. I made it through about 45 codes before I gave up. I can't tell if I simply have the IR in a bad position, if the box is locking up and not actually sending the command, or if its not the right one.

I had also read somewhere that the remote was suppose to detect how you were holding the remote and shut off the keys on the side your not using. Either mines defective or its not true for the touch pad because while attempting to type with the keypad if I tap the touch pad it moves the mouse and in turn the coursor.

It also locked up twice with in the first hour forcing me to pull the power.

Over all I only had about an hour to mess with it after rooting but its made a less then stellar impression.
HI I just rooted but when I goto to hulu.com it show the main screen then it quickly goes to hulu plus advertising. When I looked at the web address I notice its secure for mobile. Not sure why I cant watch on hulu. Please help.
kermit_01
Android 1.0

Post by kermit_01 »

Yellowmann wrote:
HI I just rooted but when I goto to hulu.com it show the main screen then it quickly goes to hulu plus advertising. When I looked at the web address I notice its secure for mobile. Not sure why I cant watch on hulu. Please help.
Did you modify the Chrome User Agent?

Open Chrome on the Pulse
Click the Menu button (Between Web and FN)
Choose Settings
Choose Advanced Settings
Click on "Under the Hood" in the left panel
Scroll down to the User Agent section and choose "Custom User Agent"
You can choose "Generic User Agent" if you'd like but we recommend using "Custom User Agent" along with a legitimate PC User Agent such as those found at UserAgentString.com
You're finished, restart the device and enjoy Fox/NBC/CBS/Hulu/Etc.