Pulse can't control my devices

Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Pulse can't control my devices

Post by Jarhead »

Actually the Pulse comes with an emitter. That's why it has to be stuck on the device it will control. If you're upgrading from a Revue just use the blaster that came with the revue instead of the emitter.
Also, the revue has 2 blasters in each corner and 2 more blasters in the middle to either side of the ir receiver. then the external one also. Much better design and I would say still the best GTV hardware made.

All the 'problem' with the Pulse related to IR are because people keep calling the emitter a blaster. This is causing people to think they can place it on a shelf in front of their equipment to control them. You might get lucky and get it to work like this but emitters are such a low power ir signal that usually it won't work. They're low powered for a reason, if you have more than one of the same device (cable box) they will all use the same ir commands, so using a blaster with them will send a command (say channel up) to all the boxes when you may only want to change the channel on one. So you use an emitter on each device so the command only goes to that one device. Usually still have to cover it just to insure the other devices don't receive the signal, especially if there is no lights on in the room the cable boxes are located.

IOW, dont be afraid to buy the Pulse! Just know that you may want to buy an actual blaster, the logitech one is under $10 on Amazon, instead of using the emitter. You can also use multiple emitters and attach them to all your devices with a phone 'Y' cable or more. So if you want to control your tv, av rec and cable box, get a Y cable and a double headed emitter. Plug the stock emitter into one Y, and the double into the other Y.
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by killer4110 »

The one that came with the Revue won't work with the Pulse, i tried.

After many talks with someone at Hisense i found out that the Pulse wasn't designed to control more than one device, and the blaster/emitter has a very narrow and weak signal, it's a straight run. This is what they call their v1 of the Pulse, the next version will have a double or triple head blaster/emitter what ever you want to call it.

Don't get me wrong, i like the Pulse, and i would recommend it to anyone, it's just that with the scotch tape i use to stick the emitter to my cable box, it's hard to convince anybody to buy it.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

I wonder why the Revue one won't work? Having done a tiny bit of research, perhaps it is a voltage issue. It appears some emitters are 6v, some are 12v.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

There are ways to make it work.
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

Jarhead wrote:There are ways to make it work.
And? No offense, but perhaps you could be a bit more helpful.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

davpel wrote:
Jarhead wrote:There are ways to make it work.
And? No offense, but perhaps you could be a bit more helpful.

LOL, sorry, could have but but figured I'd wait til my Pulse came in. Should be today or tomorrow.

I'm very curious about this "made to control one device" thing. Obviously Hisense screwed up by including an emitter instead of a blaster and I'm hoping this statement is just their way of trying to justify their mistake. When going through the setup, does the Pulse give you the option of adding a tv or receiver? Need to know if I should cancel my order.

Never mind, I just watched a setup. it does ask for tv and receiver. So I would guess I'm right and they are trying to cover their mistake of including an emitter. It obviously is meant to control all 3 devices if it has that in the setup.
Last edited by Jarhead on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

killer4110 wrote:The one that came with the Revue won't work with the Pulse, i tried.

How exactly did you try it?
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

Jarhead wrote:
killer4110 wrote:The one that came with the Revue won't work with the Pulse, i tried.

How exactly did you try it?
Out of all the IR blasters/emitters i have, the Logitech one is the only different size. I would have to cut the end off and hopefully reconnect it without screwing something up, it's not like i can just plug the Logitech one into the back of the Pulse.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

That's what I figured. Just go to radio shack, get a female 3/32" to male 1/8" phono converter.
Plug it in and it will work.
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

Jarhead wrote:That's what I figured. Just go to radio shack, get a female 3/32" to male 1/8" phono converter.
Plug it in and it will work.
Thanks Jarhead, i was just searching for that, someone had mentioned that i solder the old one to the new one, that would turn into a bio-hazard for me, it wouldn't be pretty.

I'm off to Radio Shack now.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse