Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

Post by Jarhead »

It may be rooted but when you can't do any root functions is it really rooted???

Not really.

It's already been posted in the GTV community. You can't access any root file systems. ES file explorer does not get root access, root manager does not get root access. They actually get granted access from SU but they can't mount the root structure. Root explorer can't mount anything as r/w.
The new superSU can't even be run alone. The older Superuser would crash when you click the 'I'.

I'm applying the new update now, I'll see if the root adb access is still available after.

Anyone working on a custom recovery?
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

ADB ROOT CANNOT BE RUN IN PRODUCTION BUILDS.

The ota blocks root.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Jarhead wrote:It may be rooted but when you can't do any root functions is it really rooted???

Not really.

It's already been posted in the GTV community. You can't access any root file systems. ES file explorer does not get root access, root manager does not get root access. They actually get granted access from SU but they can't mount the root structure. Root explorer can't mount anything as r/w.
The new superSU can't even be run alone. The older Superuser would crash when you click the 'I'.

I'm applying the new update now, I'll see if the root adb access is still available after.

Ok, yes, it still is a real root - these are just app incompatabilities that can be fixed. Again via a shell / console, there is root. A custom recovery kind of wont work, especially after you updated.

But, per the new update (default.prop):

Code: Select all

#
# ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
#
ro.secure=1
ro.allow.mock.location=0
ro.debuggable=0
persist.service.adb.enable=0
So yep, root is patched, bleh!

Edit: I've added the update url to the wiki here
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

Why won't a custom recovery work?
tdweng
Android 1.0

Post by tdweng »

Jarhead wrote:It may be rooted but when you can't do any root functions is it really rooted???

Not really.

ES file explorer uses native libs, and more then likely why it does not work properly on GTV. GTV is not the same as a phone, and apps that use native libs compiled using the ndk will not work on GTV. If you had an app that was written purely in java i would bet it would work just fine.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

Its not the apps that arent working its superuser itself.
kstefanec
Android 1.0

Post by kstefanec »

Okay, so I ordered a Pulse when I found out about the root access. It should be here on Saturday and I would think it does not have the updated patch. What would be the best steps I go about following the rooting process but NOT having it update before I get it rooted? Also, what about the hardware root access? Does that still work or did the patch close that loophole?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

kstefanec wrote:Okay, so I ordered a Pulse when I found out about the root access. It should be here on Saturday and I would think it does not have the updated patch. What would be the best steps I go about following the rooting process but NOT having it update before I get it rooted? Also, what about the hardware root access? Does that still work or did the patch close that loophole?
The hardware root was patched, but to do the software one - it's rather simple, setup the box as you normally would (connect it, log in), it will reboot, then the system will come back up and start downloading an update.

As it is, run our modification package (don't let it reboot / don't hit install update). Once that is done, adb in (adb shell), and type: cd /cache; rm *.zip

That should clear out the update it was downloading, and you should be set.

If for some reason it does decide to start updating, or you are weary about plugging it in, and having your timing right, you can still go the hardware route, but only before it updated.

If you need any help when you go to do it - drop by #gtvhacker on freenode, we will be glad to assist!
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

It doesn't force the update like the revue did, you can defer it.
kstefanec
Android 1.0

Post by kstefanec »

Okay, guys, I did it! Watching Hulu as I type.

Couple questions: Do you think they will ever update the box before its shipped making them "unrootable"? I want to try this out for awhile and then maybe get a couple more.

What do you mean the hardware root was patched? Doesn't the update patch hardware and software? Not sure what you meant about that.

Can't seem to find codes for my Samsung TV. Any thoughts on that? I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the help!