Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

Post by killer4110 »

I need to get the latest update that's available for the Pulse 2.31a, how do i turn on automatic updates again?
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

Or, for a related question, how can we update and keep root?!?
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

zenofex wrote:
After helping killer diagnose some of the issues he was having we've improved the process a bit and removed links to 3rd party download sites for the pulse. You can now download the "Pulse Modification Package" from us directly at http://download.gtvhacker.com/file/pulse/pulse_root.zip.

Thanks,
Zenofex
I understand you switched SU apps with this change. Should those of us who successfully rooted using the earlier version of the Pulse Modification Package, should we manually change SU as well?
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by Jarhead »

First off, no one successfully rooted.
Both ways are not providing full root access.
The new one can't even run the SuperSU app.

To answer the previous question, you can't get the update while using this "root". It disable ota checking. So you can't update and keep root (which we don't really have anyway) either.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Jarhead wrote:First off, no one successfully rooted.

To answer the previous question, you can't get the update while using this "root". It disable ota checking. So you can't update and keep root (which we don't really have anyway) either.
Just becaue you are having issues (please - do elaborate, we want to get them fixed), doesn't mean that nobody is rooted. The box shipped with ro.debuggable=1. ADB is a normal build (nothing special like the revue), which allows adb to restart as root. uid/gid are 0/0 , a console shell is spawned, also 0/0. Kernel modules can be inserted. It is root.

Now if a su package (be it superuser or supersu) isn't working, that is a different issue, unrelated to the box "not having been rooted". They work by placing a su binary that can access a database administered by the apk, then granting root permissions thanks to the suid bit on the binary.

So, long story short - the box is rooted. You are right, there is no process to update, and we've disabled updating for the moment (so people don't lose root), but if you are having issues - please tell us exactly what they are so they can get fixed.

Thanks!
tdweng
Android 1.0

Post by tdweng »

Jarhead wrote:First off, no one successfully rooted.

Either you have root or you don't. Hisense Pulse has been rooted. Being able to run SuperSu has nothing to do with having root. The binary may not work properly due to differences in how the GTV system is built. If there are issues we would like to hear them.
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

I only asked because on the Pulse wiki page it says the root can easily be reversed:

Disables automatic updates to preserve root (can easily be reversed).

I just want to reverse it, get the update and still see if i can gain root again.

Thanks... :D
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

Phew! Glad I hadn't misunderstood when I indicated that I had successfully rooted! So I'm taking it that it doesn't really matter which SU app we have installed right now, then, correct?

On a side note, now that I have replaced my Revue with the Hisense unit, I have no real use for it. I would eBay it, but first would like to offer it to free of charge to zenofex or anyone within the GTVHacker community if you think having another box to play around with would be helpful. If so, please PM me and I'll get it to the right person ASAP.

David
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

killer4110 wrote:I only asked because on the Pulse wiki page it says the root can easily be reversed:

I just want to reverse it, get the update and still see if i can gain root again.

Didn't know there was an update out already, but umm sure:

Gain an adb root shell (adb root, then adb shell)

mount -o,remount -rw /system
cd /system/etc/security
mv otacerts.zip.old otacerts.zip

Give it a reboot, that should do it. I'm going to take a peek for an update on my box too - I'll post the URL as well. Or, if you wait a bit, I'll tell you if its still "rooted".
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

cj_000 wrote:
killer4110 wrote:I only asked because on the Pulse wiki page it says the root can easily be reversed:

Didn't know there was an update out already, but umm sure:

Gain an adb root shell (adb root, then adb shell)

mount -o,remount -rw /system
cd /system/etc/security
mv otacerts.zip.old otacerts.zip

Give it a reboot, that should do it. I'm going to take a peek for an update on my box too - I'll post the URL as well. Or, if you wait a bit, I'll tell you if its still "rooted".

The update hit the devices about 6am this morning, i'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks.

This is the message i get:

failed on 'otacerts.zip.old' - No such file or directory
#
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse