Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

Post by zenofex »

Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
Appletini
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Hisense Pulse: Insecure at launch, accident or message?

Post by Appletini »

As a current Logitech Revue owner i just bought the Pulse after seeing this :P

I would suggest that anyone and everyone who is going to buy this, reach out to the company over social media, email, tin-can+string and tell them that this is why your buying the device.
mjeshurun
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by mjeshurun »

Can you comment on the Pulse's software reliability?
A lot of Vizio Co-Star users report the Co-Star freezes often due to heat buildup caused by its small form factor. Since the Pulse is almost identical in size to the Co-Star, does it also suffer from software freezes due to heat?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

mjeshurun wrote:Can you comment on the Pulse's software reliability?
A lot of Vizio Co-Star users report the Co-Star freezes often due to heat buildup caused by its small form factor. Since the Pulse is almost identical in size to the Co-Star, does it also suffer from software freezes due to heat?
I haven't really used the box all too much, but it was on for a good day straight. Temps were reported at about 60C, it's passive of course, so it's to be expected. However without the custom UI that Vizio stuck on (note: have yet to try the Co-Star 3.5.0 update), it feels less laggy, snappier to respond.

Then again, it seems to share just about the same design, with the exception of the placement of a few items on the mainboard.
mjeshurun
Android 1.0

Post by mjeshurun »

cj_000 wrote:
mjeshurun wrote:Can you comment on the Pulse's software reliability?
I haven't really used the box all too much, but it was on for a good day straight. Temps were reported at about 60C, it's passive of course, so it's to be expected. However without the custom UI that Vizio stuck on (note: have yet to try the Co-Star 3.5.0 update), it feels less laggy, snappier to respond.

Then again, it seems to share just about the same design, with the exception of the placement of a few items on the mainboard.
Hey cj_000, thanks for the quick answer!
Can you by chance say if the Pulse supports MKV videos with AC3 surround sound?
mjeshurun
Android 1.0

Post by mjeshurun »

Unboxing, setup and features review for the Hisense Pulse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... MbQFSS48q0
helousn
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by helousn »

Any chance of a walkthru for us noobs to root the pulse? I've used three different adb's and can adb connect thru the lan to the ip address of the pulse but the next step of adb root gives a device not found error. Even thought the adb connect show connection on port 5555, the adb devices command show nothing.

Thanks!
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

helousn wrote:Any chance of a walkthru for us noobs to root the pulse? I've used three different adb's and can adb connect thru the lan to the ip address of the pulse but the next step of adb root gives a device not found error. Even thought the adb connect show connection on port 5555, the adb devices command show nothing.

Thanks!

On the pulse, go to All Applications, Settings, then Applications. Hit development. Check off "Enable Remote Debugging", a message will pop up saying "your files can be modified", press ok.
Then, go to the option below that, says "Remote Debugger IP", go back, and enter your PC's local IP address, then try to re-connect with adb!
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by Jarhead »

Any custom recoveries for it yet? CWM would be awesome!
helousn
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by helousn »

cj_000 wrote:
helousn wrote:Any chance of a walkthru for us noobs to root the pulse? I've used three different adb's and can adb connect thru the lan to the ip address of the pulse but the next step of adb root gives a device not found error. Even thought the adb connect show connection on port 5555, the adb devices command show nothing.

Thanks!

On the pulse, go to All Applications, Settings, then Applications. Hit development. Check off "Enable Remote Debugging", a message will pop up saying "your files can be modified", press ok.
Then, go to the option below that, says "Remote Debugger IP", go back, and enter your PC's local IP address, then try to re-connect with adb!

Thanks! Definitely closer.. but still not there yet..
N:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb connect 192.168.2.11
connected to 192.168.2.11:5555

N:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb root
restarting adbd as root

N:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb connect 192.168.2.11
connected to 192.168.2.11:5555

N:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb push pulse_root.sh /tmp/pulse_root.sh
382 KB/s (1177929 bytes in 3.010s)

N:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
# sh /tmp/pulse_root.sh
sh /tmp/pulse_root.sh
_____ _________ ___ _ _
/ ____|__ __\ \ / / | | | | |
| | __ | | \ \ / /| |__| | __ _ ___| | _____ _ __
| | |_ | | | \ \/ / | __ |/ _` |/ __| |/ / _ \ '__|
| |__| | | | \ / | | | | (_| | (__| < __/ |
\_____| |_| \/ |_| |_|\__,_|\___|_|\_\___|_|
################ Hisense Pulse Root #####################
This script installs the Superuser.apk package as well as installs the content p
rovider bypass.
For support vist: http://www.GTVHacker.com

Extracting /tmp/gtvhacker.zip to /tmp/gtvhacker/.
unzip: can't open /tmp/gtvhacker.zip, /tmp/gtvhacker.zip.zip, /tmp/gtvhacker.zip
.ZIP

Remounting /system read/write.

Copy su binary and Superuser.apk to /system.
cp: /tmp/gtvhacker/su: No such file or directory
cp: /tmp/gtvhacker/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory

Set correct permissions for su binary.
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory

Backing up flash.

Mutating the flash string. This should take about 30 seconds or so.

Preventing future automatic updates.

Remounting /system read/only.

Done! Make sure to change Chrome's user agent and then reboot!

So I'm sure I'm missing something but for the life of me I don't know what it is... I redownloaded the pulse_root.sh file but no difference..
Any hints would be great!