Vizio Co-Star Wiki Page Updated

cj_000
1.6 Donut

Vizio Co-Star Wiki Page Updated

Post by cj_000 »

Hi All,

We have gone ahead and updated the Wiki page with some of the latest information about the Co-Star. You can check it out here. Have anything to add? Add it in, or let us know here!

Thanks,
CJ
Wisdom
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: Vizio Co-Star Wiki Page Updated

Post by Wisdom »

Where is the Vizio Co-Star Root software with instructions located, thanks in advance ...?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

We have yet to release the root process - currently looking for another way in that we can share, so when it's patched, we can have another way in.
Wisdom
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by Wisdom »

cj_000 wrote:We have yet to release the root process - currently looking for another way in that we can share, so when it's patched, we can have another way in.
Awesome, keep up the good work .......
wizziwig
Android 1.0

Post by wizziwig »

I would hold off on releasing the root until the firmware is much more stable and bug free. No sense letting them patch the exploit before we have a firmware we're ready to live with for a while (in case we can't get more updates without losing root). At the very least they need to fix 5.1 audio playback of local files - the last firmware only fixed netflix and cable-box passthrough.

I'm curious if your exploit allows full bootloader control so we could remove android entirely and boot up a regular Linux distro to install XBMC, etc.? Assuming drivers were properly ported, etc. If not a full Linux, maybe at least allow NDK apps in Android? From what I can see, the old NDK work-around in the Wiki only applied to the x86 Revue and not these newer Arm units.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

wizziwig wrote:I would hold off on releasing the root until the firmware is much more stable and bug free. No sense letting them patch the exploit before we have a firmware we're ready to live with for a while (in case we can't get more updates without losing root). At the very least they need to fix 5.1 audio playback of local files - the last firmware only fixed netflix and cable-box passthrough.

I'm curious if your exploit allows full bootloader control so we could remove android entirely and boot up a regular Linux distro to install XBMC, etc.? Assuming drivers were properly ported, etc. If not a full Linux, maybe at least allow NDK apps in Android? From what I can see, the old NDK work-around in the Wiki only applied to the x86 Revue and not these newer Arm units.
No, a bootloader exploit would have been awesome, but like its predecessors the kernel is encrypted, with the crypto being handled in hardware. Our best bet for unsigned kernels is yet again kexec but it can be quite the pain getting that to run on ARM devies.

We have been playing with getting arm based android apps running on the Sony (vizio applies here, it's the same SOC) but most of the boxes libraries would need to be changed, which makes Google TV not work anymore. I suppose if we had some way to selectively control which libraries are used on the fly it'd be great, but actually going about that is another story.
wizziwig
Android 1.0

Post by wizziwig »

cj_000 wrote: We have been playing with getting arm based android apps running on the Sony (vizio applies here, it's the same SOC) but most of the boxes libraries would need to be changed, which makes Google TV not work anymore. I suppose if we had some way to selectively control which libraries are used on the fly it'd be great, but actually going about that is another story.
Is it not possible to statically link the required Arm libraries similar to what was done with the x86 libs to get NDK on the Revue? I know there are a few devices out there based on Marvell Armada 1000 that run regular Android. Products like these:

http://www.nixeus.com/nixeus-fusion-xs- ... dia-player
http://www.honeywld.com.tw/zest5000/01_spec.htm
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Oh, sure that you could do it - but whatever app you'd want to run would need to be recompiled, just like on the x86 boxes.