NSZ-GS7 root

Blip
Android 1.0

NSZ-GS7 root

Post by Blip »

I would like to know if it is possible to root the NSZ-GS7. I've read the forums and wiki pages but i'm not sure if it is possible to root it.

Has someone tried it and succeeded?

Cheers, Blip
jimmy3299
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: NSZ-GS7 root

Post by jimmy3299 »

I believe the kernel is the thing they need to fix first. I just bought one today and I am looking forward to seeing it rooted.
Blip
Android 1.0

Post by Blip »

This video shows that the NSZ-GS7 box can be rooted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousqdDf49bo But how?

I still have the factory firmware on my box and don't want to update it - not before i have root access.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Yeah, it goes without saying we are waiting to release - namely we want more boxes to be shipped out, and more people to have them. Right now, it would be quite foolish to release an exploit that only a handful of people could use.
jimmy3299
Android 1.0

Post by jimmy3299 »

I wish I could root now as the reason Ibought this is so I didn't have to have cable bill. Lol.
Undisputed1
Android 1.0

Post by Undisputed1 »

Wait for more people to own the box to release the exploit? Where's the logic in that? are you toying with us?
Blip
Android 1.0

Post by Blip »

Undisputed1 wrote:Wait for more people to own the box to release the exploit? Where's the logic in that? are you toying with us?
This really makes sense! Publishing an exploit will happen that the hole will be closed in the next update. All new boxes will be un-root-able. Until the next hole is found .....
wizziwig
Android 1.0

Post by wizziwig »

cj_000 wrote:Yeah, it goes without saying we are waiting to release - namely we want more boxes to be shipped out, and more people to have them. Right now, it would be quite foolish to release an exploit that only a handful of people could use.
Can you say if the exploit is part of a general GTV2 feature that will likely carry over to other GTV2 devices like the Vizio Co-Star? I just got the Vizio but it's extremely limited with the stock firmware.
Undisputed1
Android 1.0

Post by Undisputed1 »

I would agree with you if android devices were difficult to downgrade. I have never heard of such a thing as waiting for more people to own a device to release a hack
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Undisputed1 wrote:I would agree with you if android devices were difficult to downgrade. I have never heard of such a thing as waiting for more people to own a device to release a hack
Well, Google TV devices are incredibly more secure for no good reason - so downgrading the box after the fact would be quite difficult. Mix into that the Gen 2 SOC (88de3100) features some extra rollback protection which involves blowing fuses to prevent downgrade. How exactly it works we are unsure, but needless to say Google will trigger it, so we've got a good reason to hold back for a bit. Furthermore, there are the vizio devices too that we are waiting to get our hands on!