webdude12
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: full root achieved on nsz-gs7 now!

Post by webdude12 »

Ok. Finally got root. Any thoughts on getting /system to be rw???/
interruptstorm
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by interruptstorm »

Thanks saurik and gtvhacker for the root insturctions and dexter for posting his details for modifying the system partition. I've now got the latest supersu installed. I also followed some of the steps from the gtv_mod_pkg.sh script from the wiki while I had the system image mounted and renamed otacerts.zip to prevent OTA updates. Adaway is working with a symlink from /system/etc/hosts -> /data/data/hosts

Any other cool things to do with root? I haven't tried updating flash or mutating the flash string because I heard it breaks SlingPlayer...
dexter
Android 1.0

Post by dexter »

webdude12 wrote:Ok. Finally got root. Any thoughts on getting /system to be rw???/
well, i tried to change the root partition (mmcblk0p9) but it went into a bootloop.
I was told later that sony implemented a small change in init.rc which checks if default.prop ro.secure=0 and then it would shutdown. which i did not check for, so im locked right now from doing any /system in rw if possible.

Furthermore the init.rc scripts do have a signature, so it might not work to change at all. (but maybe it does 8-) if Sony forgot to use those sigs on init scripts)
interruptstorm wrote:Any other cool things to do with root? I haven't tried updating flash or mutating the flash string because I heard it breaks SlingPlayer...
well, i thought about testing if Xposed installer, works without having /system rw, but never checked how it works.
but having custom DPI per app is one feature i'd like to have on that box.

and the hosts file is another nice function you mention.

i'm thinking loud here:
now that we can modify the /system "offline", maybe someone could download the REL10 US for me, by replacing the /system/build.prop with one from the REL07 we can download.
Seems no one got the REL10 anywhere, so the one way to get it once more, is having the build.prop replaced, i guess to force a download of it again. (you can always with root enabled delete the upgrade before booting, file should be on the /cache partition.
I am also told the web location of REL10 is seen in logcat, when its being downloaded, so you do not even need the file, you can just dump your logcat before actually rebooting with REL10.
Thats just a thought if anyone can help out :)
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

im interesting in blocks OTA updates , i will try block
webdude12
Android 1.0

Post by webdude12 »

interruptstorm wrote:Adaway is working with a symlink from /system/etc/hosts -> /data/data/hosts
Since Im guessing you can modify /data/data/hosts without any issues, my thought is since we can modify the whole file structure offline, what if we symlink the entire /system directory to say /core or something we know android should never use. Or even just the folders we know we need...

This should in theory then allows us full write permissions to do with as with wish.. My wishlist is as below:

1. Modify the Flash String
2. Remove Bloatware / Apps I will never use
3. Tweak the Kernel (Have not even looked at this yet).
dexter
Android 1.0

Post by dexter »

webdude12 wrote:what if we symlink the entire /system directory to say /core or something we know android should never use. Or even just the folders we know we need...
i actually did so early on with motorola milestone , when i made htc sense for it. the system partition could not contain the files, so i used /data as storage.

your idea could work, since /system and /data are mounted at the same time.

so if we can avoid OTA update, it would be rather nice to work with the box that way. But i think the root parts is not so helpful as i initially hoped.

apps like root keeper and applications compiled for a linker in /system/bin do not run at all, making those apps unusable on this box for now.
webdude12
Android 1.0

Post by webdude12 »

So to do some testing without symlinking the entire folder, what folders should I test with?

/system/bin
/system/app
/system/etc
/system/chrome

Anything else I'm missing?

Anything else I'm missing?
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

anyone know ? here does Android store the default application settings that connects each type of content with a designated application?

im using an app for video streaming , but when get the link, they give me 3 option, app player, mx player and a external player, but app player doesnt work on GTV , MX player either, and i have a other option but seems the link between "external app" and my default preferences are broke or empty , i think manually i can modify these settings , for use aVia or Vimu.
dexter
Android 1.0

Post by dexter »

webdude12 wrote:Anything else I'm missing?
/system/framework
maybe then, later on we can use vizio co-star framework, as it has OnLive support, which our firmware do not :(
bovoro wrote:anyone know ? here does Android store the default application settings that connects each type of content with a designated application?
the app you chose to be default, needs to have its setttings reset, you find this under applications and edit the app and you should see you can reset its "data" and "setting" when selected. (same place you press uninstall)
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

seems that this application does not have default settings, lowlevel-studios.com is the developer, the app is seriesdroid, but I think the player selection screen, android system is not itself, is the same development environment of the app .

other things, is dangerous replace the frameworks folder , completely replacing from one of a vizio co-star? for testing purposes only.