Google TV Hack to feed custom channels and tv listings

alzakx
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Google TV Hack to feed custom channels and tv listings

Post by alzakx »

Hello members,

I'm working on an idea for creating some kind of hack for the Google TV tat would allow us to modify the channel list and tv listings that Google TV pulls to the box whenever setting up the device to a Cable or Satellite Provider.

Here's my story, I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 and was disappointed when I found out that my Cable Provider was not listed in the Providers list based on my zip code. So I cannot get my GTV to pull TV listings or search live TV.

I too want to search for "a movie about a rebellious teen who's living in a town where dancing is illegal" and get live TV shows or movies playing right then and there.

So I need help finding out where Google TV pulls the channel list and tv listings from, and in what kind of format is the data transmitted from the source to the GTV.

I thinking maybe creating a custom app that will be easily configurable to load custom channels and listings from a web service. Also, I could modify a /etc/hosts file and have GTV pull the feed from a different server I control.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
britbloke
Android 1.0

Re: Google TV Hack to feed custom channels and tv listings

Post by britbloke »

Wouldn't you need root access to be able to modify the hosts file?
alzakx
Android 1.0

Post by alzakx »

britbloke wrote:Wouldn't you need root access to be able to modify the hosts file?

To the Router yes, I need root access. I loaded DD-WRT on it so I have root access, now I need the source where GTV pulls from, I guess they send some kind of XML file. If it is encripted then I'm pretty much screwed.

>> I was thinking also running a Network Sniffer like Ethereal and hopefully grabbing the info from there.

Britbloke, can you help me?
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

Im intereted too, im from México and here uses The same deco as directv usa but would be awesome if we can put custom XML lists
alzakx
Android 1.0

Post by alzakx »

You know what,

I might just build my own GTV app and load my XML from an RSS feed on the internet. I checked tvguide.com has they have my provider and listings.
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

My only obstacle now is that I'm not root, how do get it? Unfourtenly yesterday i received a update in my gs7
alzakx
Android 1.0

Post by alzakx »

I don't think root is needed. Just install apps from unknown sources.
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

Im researching now, i found this usefull , so im reading now , https://developers.google.com/tv/androi ... v_provider
alzakx
Android 1.0

Post by alzakx »

bovoro wrote:Im researching now, i found this usefull , so im reading now , https://developers.google.com/tv/androi ... v_provider

thanks man, I'll surely put that into use.

I also need to create a provider for my app so that the search app in GTV can query my app.
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

In other forum i saw something interesting : Correct again. Google TV sources its channel guide information from i.TV that's why the channel guide information is the same for Google TV, AolTV, and i.TV. "

Check this out
http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logi ... revue.html