Google TV Hack to feed custom channels and tv listings

alzakx
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Re: Google TV Hack to feed custom channels and tv listings

Post by alzakx »

chopper wrote:That was my first crack at getting the functionality only available in the USA working elsewhere. Here is my idea now! If it is possible for people in other countries to side load the PrimeTime App and any other APK's that are required to get the USA version working with a USA Zip code ie 90210 then someone might be able to modify the APK responsible for bringing up the EPG so that it brings up the EPG from another source. This idea doesn't involve creating a new APP at all just modify the existing one for those who currently do not have a working EPG. Personally I would pay a small sum for this App if someone was willing to get it working. I am sure the dev who figures this out if it's possible will make a tidy sum as most users in other countries are going to want this functionality especially now that voice search is on it's way. If I had the know how this would already be a done deal.

Hey man, what's an EPG?
bovoro
Android 1.0

Post by bovoro »

Its out a new update a avaliable REL06_NSZGS7_U2_1403_6928_20121120_URSC_S67254
alzakx
Android 1.0

Post by alzakx »

chopper wrote:There is a Google EPG APK on my GTV box and this is where I would start poking if I had the know how! I guess the Settings APK would be next to enable each user to enter a location/provider not currently supported.

I have backed these APK's up to my Dropbox account but do not know how to modify them. This job is for someone with that sort of ability. PM me if you are interested in trying to do this

Your approach is ideal in one way but has a big disadvantage.

Modifying the APK to pull the EPG from a custom source we control would be the best way to solve the problem, however, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in order to side load this APK you will need to Root you GTV box, which not many users are willing to do or could risk bricking their devices. Plus take into account that on future system updates, your custom APK will be overwritten with the official APK and you could also loose Root access.

I believe the best way, and not so pretty way, is to create a new Android App for GTV to work similar to the Prime App and function as a provider for the Search App.

I need to get myself a linux box to setup a GTV development environment able to run the GTV emulator...
i'm accepting donations... :lol: