67%
Roku/Other Media Player
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

shylok
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Apple TV / XBMC via TV Input, remote button problem

Post by shylok »

Have plugged in the Apple TV2 (atv2) into the HDMI IN on the Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV.

Problem, "MENU" button from Apple remote is buried 6 key presses deep. In XBMC and on native Apple TV interface, the MENU button functions as a BACK button. It's 1 key press, and used very frequently.

To get to this MENU button you have to press

1)MENU(Options) ((looks like ---- stacked) (1 key press)
2)Advanced Options (3 key presses)
3)Options/Sub Menu (2 key presses)

Having set it up via the following.
Settings - Video Input - Add Device Manually - Network Video Player - Apple - .see list below.

Apple TV
Macbook Pro
A1156
A1218
AppleTV
AppleTV2

The remote code shown for all the different choices under the Apple manufacturer selection all N2615.

I've tried getting the Apple TV to learn the remote, it doesn't get a IR signal on key press except for volume/up/down. So I can't take that round-about route.

IR Blaster code setting, where you do a Send POWER test, never works, but you gotta say Yes anyways for it to accept the remote.

Looking for a way to either remap the Back button that's on the Sony remote NSG-MR5U or to assign some other button to that Options/Sub Menu final keypress (MENU on the apple remote)

If you're wondering why bother, well, It's because Plex doesn't work well for me, and XBMC does. So until the NDK is released, and XBMC is able to run on the Google TVs I'm stuck using both a Apple TV and a Google TV.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
shylok
Android 1.0

Re: Apple TV / XBMC via TV Input, remote button problem

Post by shylok »

Actually was able to solve my own problem by tricking the Sony remote software.

I selected the video input as a Sony Blu-Ray player, which meant all the buttons on the Sony remote actually sent IR signals. Then from the Apple TV. I learned those respective IR signals. This allowed me to program the BACK button as the MENU(BACK) button and everything else as well.

Perfect. Now I've got a fully functional Google TV (neutered non NDK, nor real android device) and a Apple TV2 daisy chained to it.

Along with a single remote with a full qwerty backlit keypad controlling XBMC, Apple TV, Google TV, Sharp TV, Harmon Kardon receiver.
alibaba011
Android 1.0

Post by alibaba011 »

[quote="shylok"]Actually was able to solve my own problem by tricking the Sony remote software.

I selected the video input as a Sony Blu-Ray player, which meant all the buttons on the Sony remote actually sent IR signals. Then from the Apple TV. I learned those respective IR signals. This allowed me to program the BACK button as the MENU(BACK) button and everything else as well.

Perfect. Now I've got a fully functional Google TV (neutered non NDK, nor real android device) and a Apple TV2 daisy chained to it.

Along with a single remote with a full qwerty backlit keypad controlling XBMC, Apple TV, Google TV, Sharp TV, Harmon Kardon receiver.[/quo

Hi, i have tried to add the atv2 as Sony blu-ray player, just like you did. But it doesn't seem to control the atv2 from Sony remote. could please share your keymap.xml that you used with atv2. Or could you please explain how you have receive the IR signals, please. Thank you
shylok
Android 1.0

Post by shylok »

You have to use the apple tv to learn the remote now.

It's under general, remote, learn remote
alibaba011
Android 1.0

Post by alibaba011 »

thanks for reply. I have figure it out. As i have already pair my sony tv with my gtv, it is causing problem. In atv learn remote, up, down key press do not go full bar. I had to unpair my tv first, then atv learn remote work.
shylok
Android 1.0

Post by shylok »

Ah, glad it's working. I didn't have to unpair the sony remote. But good to know!

Thing is now.. Isn't it doing double action. When you press up or enter while in Google tv, does your Apple tv think it's received a key press?

Man. I'm really thinking of buying a Aios box for xbmc. Has browser and 1080p hardware decoding. I wonder if this sony remote will pair with it. If so. I think it's a better solution. Else sit around and wait for ndk to be released