How to get Netflix on a Euro NSZ-GS7? Flash to US firmware?

cray
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

How to get Netflix on a Euro NSZ-GS7? Flash to US firmware?

Post by cray »

Hi.
I understand that the netflix app comes integrated into the firmware of the US units. So I was thinking of trying to flash the EU unit I have with the US firmware. I also have a router ready which has DD-WRT loaded and dials straight to a US IP via VPN.
Question now is how to flash my EU unit to turn it into a US unit. The unit I have (bought in NL) does not have netflix :(
I have looked at http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Sony_NSZ ... te_History
But it does not have the Factory firmware. It only has OTA updates.
Anybody have experience doing this?
nighthawknoir

Re: How to get Netflix on a Euro NSZ-GS7? Flash to US firmwa

Post by nighthawknoir »

It's safe to just flash the latest US OTA update as long as your current version number is not greater.
My earlier post regarding that topic: http://forum.gtvhacker.com/nsz-gs7-stre ... html#p6776
eyahn
Android 1.0

Post by eyahn »

Could you give us further information? I tried flashing an OTA update and I got "Package is too old."

Anyone else achieved this?
Is there a way to reset the device to factory state? (So that the version's check won't fail?)

I'm really looking forward to Netflix on my GTV!

Thanks
nighthawknoir

Post by nighthawknoir »

I got the same error initially. Have you already applied any OTA update since you bought your unit? If so, you most probably already have a higher version than the one available on the wiki. You can check this in the settings menu.

As far as I know there is no way to downgrade the version (A factory reset won't help and just erases the user data). My solution was to return my unit where I already applied the latest OTA update and to buy a new one. With that I immediately booted to the recovery menu before even turning it on the regular way. Anyway, it should be sufficient to just not apply any update before flashing.

Another way would be to find out the link to the latest US OTA update. But I don't think that anybody knows it yet. Someone would have to use Wireshark to sniff the link during the update with his fresh unit.
eyahn
Android 1.0

Post by eyahn »

Yes, that's exactly what i thought! i need to wait for future updates: i think i'm on 20120928 or something.

Can you confirm you flashed the US version on a EU (UK maybe?) device? I'm on a french one.

If anybody out there knows the link / has the zip for the last US firmware version, i'm in need :)

Thanks
nighthawknoir

Post by nighthawknoir »

I can confirm that I flashed the US version (U2) on my EU device (EC1). I bought mine in Germany but I think the firmware is the same for all devices sold in Europe (except for maybe UK).

Maybe you can ask "hharte" about how he managed to use Wireshark to get the download link: http://forum.gtvhacker.com/nsz-gs7-stre ... ic830.html
eyahn
Android 1.0

Post by eyahn »

I know how he did it, that's not difficult: you have to be in the same network of the device, and you can intercept the HTTP calls it makes, and then you know the url. It's done using Wireshark, which is a Windows software.

My problem is i'm not in the US and i don't have a US device to intercept :)
nighthawknoir

Post by nighthawknoir »

I doubt that it's that easy. As long as you are not using an old hub in your network you would have to configure your router to do port mirroring ... which is quite a hassle.

Additionally, I don't know if it's only possible to get the update link if a real update is available or if it's sufficient to just manually check for updates during the monitoring process.

If you or somebody else could explain the necessary steps in detail I could grab the link. (I'm running DD-WRT.)
ausdrew
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Post by ausdrew »

nighthawknoir wrote: If you or somebody else could explain the necessary steps in detail I could grab the link. (I'm running DD-WRT.)
I tried Wireshark with no success. But there is an app in the Play store you can use:
Once the update has shown up on your Google TV, you just need to install 'aLogcat (free)' from the Google Play Store and search through the log files for 'android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/' which should give you the official Google download URL.
nighthawknoir

Post by nighthawknoir »

I just tried to get the link by checking for updates manually but had no success.

Hopefully someone who is not already running the latest US version is reading this and kind enough to grab the link with aLogcat immediately after being notified about an available update.

Edit: britbloke managed to get the link: http://forum.gtvhacker.com/nsz-gs7-stre ... c1084.html
Last edited by nighthawknoir on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.