UART Bootloader Root/Rebooter Release (Unsigned Kernels!)

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

UART Bootloader Root/Rebooter Release (Unsigned Kernels!)

Post by zenofex »

We've finally gotten the Sony portion of the roots we unveiled at DefCon posted. You can find the process on our wiki at:
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Root_thr ... der_Access

As well as the slides from the conference at:
http://gtvhacker.com/pres/dc20.odp

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
Mattsm
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: UART Bootloader Root/Rebooter Release (Unsigned Kernels!

Post by Mattsm »

Just some notes to edit wiki in case one gets confused with amount of usb devices.

Writing images on MacOSx
7. Press enter, when command is complete, repeat steps 2-6 until you have created all 4 USB drives.

USB Drive Validation
2. Calculate the MD5 hash (md5sum) of each of test1.img through test4.img. (It looks like here's one for Windows, but we haven't tested it:
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

I know this is probably a stupid question, but should those of us who are still rooted from the last exploit many months ago concern ourselves with this latest release?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

Mattsm wrote:Just some notes to edit wiki in case one gets confused with amount of usb devices.

Writing images on MacOSx
7. Press enter, when command is complete, repeat steps 2-6 until you have created all 4 USB drives.

USB Drive Validation
2. Calculate the MD5 hash (md5sum) of each of test1.img through test4.img. (It looks like here's one for Windows, but we haven't tested it:
Thanks! All fixed!
davpel wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but should those of us who are still rooted from the last exploit many months ago concern ourselves with this latest release?
The only upside to doing this now is that you'll have the system files from the newest update. Not sure if that's really worth the work though.

Thanks,
Zenofex
lndshark
Android 1.0

Post by lndshark »

Any hope for those of us who are stuck on 20120222 and are unable to update?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

lndshark wrote:Any hope for those of us who are stuck on 20120222 and are unable to update?
Yes, perform the steps in the guide for the UART root and if the problem is what I think it is (/cache not having enough space to update). The root will re-partition the drive and fix the space issue. You may need to perform the root and then do a manual upgrade to the 20120520 build from the wiki and then root again (if you want to be rooted still). But overall this will fix the problem.

Thanks,
Zenofex
lndshark
Android 1.0

Post by lndshark »

zenofex wrote:
lndshark wrote:Any hope for those of us who are stuck on 20120222 and are unable to update?
Yes, perform the steps in the guide for the UART root and if the problem is what I think it is (/cache not having enough space to update). The root will re-partition the drive and fix the space issue. You may need to perform the root and then do a manual upgrade to the 20120520 build from the wiki and then root again (if you want to be rooted still). But overall this will fix the problem.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Yes, that is precisely the problem, according to the log. Thanks!
havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by havikx »

Anyone done this yet?

Why wouldn't you be able to build and flash ROM or recovery?
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Well, since the GTV is quite different, you can't flash a rom per-se.

However, what you can do is replace just about everything - if you want to replace the running (kexec'd) kernel you can, if you want to edit boot, you can, system - you can.

As for recovery, you can't replace that (signed), but you can study our exploit (hint: edit the bash script), inject your own code to start up another binary. It's an extra step, but you could do it that way.
e.w.bohle
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by e.w.bohle »

davpel wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but should those of us who are still rooted from the last exploit many months ago concern ourselves with this latest release?
Zenofex wrote:The only upside to doing this now is that you'll have the system files from the newest update. Not sure if that's really worth the work though.

Thanks,
Zenofex

So... I am on the original sony root... can I just create usb#2 from this new UART sony root, boot into recovery, and load usb#2 image??? Will that effectively overwrite/update all the sony system files to the 20120520 build versions as well as install your new modified kernel???

--- OR ---

Is it not that simple and i have to un-root by updating to sony 20120520 build, then re-root using the UART method???