UART Bootloader Root/Rebooter Release (Unsigned Kernels!)

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: UART Bootloader Root/Rebooter Release (Unsigned Kernels!

Post by zenofex »

e.w.bohle wrote:
davpel wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but should those of us who are still rooted from the last exploit many months ago concern ourselves with this latest release?
Zenofex wrote:The only upside to doing this now is that you'll have the system files from the newest update. Not sure if that's really worth the work though.

Thanks,
Zenofex

So... I am on the original sony root... can I just create usb#2 from this new UART sony root, boot into recovery, and load usb#2 image??? Will that effectively overwrite/update all the sony system files to the 20120520 build versions as well as install your new modified kernel???

--- OR ---

Is it not that simple and i have to un-root by updating to sony 20120520 build, then re-root using the UART method???
You will need to un-root to have the system files updated to the OTA files and then you will need to re-root using the UART method. For users who are in this predicament, I would wait until we release a package which will allow you to upgrade from the old root files to the new root files without UART.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
jbloggs
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by jbloggs »

OMG! This is so exciting.

So we should avoid updating if/when Sony releases fix/patch for this root, correct? Once rooted, what will happen to Sony's OTA updates, do they automatically get blocked?
jh13
Android 1.0

Post by jh13 »

Ok, Let me start off by saying Hi all! I recently purchased this Sony Google TV NSZ-GT1 used from a friend and It has already been updated to the 5202012 firmware. Having been a Revue owner for a while and still anxiously awaiting a way to attain permanent root I want to root this Sony. Ok, I am not a dev but I follow directions pretty well and have used Linux many times mostly through the use of VMs.
Anyways..enough useless info :arrow: ....on to my question(s)..
1) I read up on the UART Bootloader Root for this box and purchased a UART to usb ttl to connect to the nano 4 pin connector from RC-connectors. My question is in regards to the wiring. The UART usb connector has connections for 3.3v, rst, txd, rxd, gnd and +5v. I looked at the picture for the pinout from the Wiki and it lists Vcc, rx, tx and Gnd, I get that the rx goes to rxd and tx goes to txd and gnd goes to gnd but what about the Vcc? Connect to the 3.3v or the +5v?

2) I followed the directions on the wiki for creating the 2 usb drives but the output example from dd on the wiki shows:

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out

(using dd in Win7 32)
Well when I create the 1st usb image I get the same message but at the end it shows 5120+0 records in and 5120+0 records out, on usb image 2 I get the same message except on that one I get 19200+0 records in and 19200+0 records out. I checked the MD5 of both usb images and they match up exactly so not sure why I am getting a different output from writing them. I'm using an old 128mb usb flash drive if that matters. I was just going through the process of writing the images for my own training before I actually make the attempt to root it.

3)Ok, now to using PuTty for Windows...I've never used a console to connect to a serial device other than transferring programs to CNC machines at work which are just text files. How do I actually open the terminal to be able to quickly mash the escape key? Sorry for the noobish-ness with this question but it escapes me.

I appreciate any help I can get and thanks for the work that you all have already accomplished.....Hopefully we'll all be able to crack-flash roms to our Google Tvs like we do for our phones :-)
Made in U.S.A.
tech338
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by tech338 »

I cannot really help with your questions. It would probably be best to ask at their IRC chat http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... ker&uio=d4 as listed on the gtvhacker wiki. If you get an answer can you post the answer for the rest of us. Maybe post a youtube?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

jh13 wrote:Ok, Let me start off by saying Hi all! I recently purchased this Sony Google TV NSZ-GT1 used from a friend and It has already been updated to the 5202012 firmware. Having been a Revue owner for a while and still anxiously awaiting a way to attain permanent root I want to root this Sony. Ok, I am not a dev but I follow directions pretty well and have used Linux many times mostly through the use of VMs.
Anyways..enough useless info :arrow: ....on to my question(s)..
1) I read up on the UART Bootloader Root for this box and purchased a UART to usb ttl to connect to the nano 4 pin connector from RC-connectors. My question is in regards to the wiring. The UART usb connector has connections for 3.3v, rst, txd, rxd, gnd and +5v. I looked at the picture for the pinout from the Wiki and it lists Vcc, rx, tx and Gnd, I get that the rx goes to rxd and tx goes to txd and gnd goes to gnd but what about the Vcc? Connect to the 3.3v or the +5v?

2) I followed the directions on the wiki for creating the 2 usb drives but the output example from dd on the wiki shows:

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out

(using dd in Win7 32)
Well when I create the 1st usb image I get the same message but at the end it shows 5120+0 records in and 5120+0 records out, on usb image 2 I get the same message except on that one I get 19200+0 records in and 19200+0 records out. I checked the MD5 of both usb images and they match up exactly so not sure why I am getting a different output from writing them. I'm using an old 128mb usb flash drive if that matters. I was just going through the process of writing the images for my own training before I actually make the attempt to root it.

3)Ok, now to using PuTty for Windows...I've never used a console to connect to a serial device other than transferring programs to CNC machines at work which are just text files. How do I actually open the terminal to be able to quickly mash the escape key? Sorry for the noobish-ness with this question but it escapes me.

I appreciate any help I can get and thanks for the work that you all have already accomplished.....Hopefully we'll all be able to crack-flash roms to our Google Tvs like we do for our phones :-)
1.) The disconnect coming in here is that UART can have a 5v OR a 3.3v vcc, on this box its a 3.3v. Generally though if your UART adapter is powered you dont need to even connect VCC. The only connections required are TX/RX/GND, if you connect TX/RX to the box, reboot and still get no output. Swap TX/RX, you can do that without causing any damage to the box (just make sure that GND is connected correctly).

2.) The usb images are different so the number of records written will also be different. As long as the md5's match up you're good to go.

3.) I dont personally use putty but a good description can be found on setting it up at: http://codeandlife.com/2012/07/01/raspb ... ax3232cpe/. The connection speed and stop bits are the same so you can pretty much follow the "Using Putty to connect to Raspberry Pi" section word for word but substituting Raspberry Pi for Your Sony device.

Of note: We try to be on the forums as much as possible but it is generally quicker if you have an immediate concern to drop by IRC and chat with us. Please if you do ask a question, stick around for more than a few minutes for it to be answered. Also when you join please use "/nick newnickhere" (without the quotes) to change your chat username.

IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... ker&uio=d4

Thanks,
Zenofex
jh13
Android 1.0

Post by jh13 »

tech338 wrote:I cannot really help with your questions. It would probably be best to ask at their IRC chat http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... ker&uio=d4 as listed on the gtvhacker wiki. If you get an answer can you post the answer for the rest of us. Maybe post a youtube?
Thanks for the info tech338, I will do what I can when I do some more research....and get someone to Youtube the process.
Made in U.S.A.
jh13
Android 1.0

Post by jh13 »

zenofex wrote:
1.) The disconnect coming in here is that UART can have a 5v OR a 3.3v vcc, on this box its a 3.3v. Generally though if your UART adapter is powered you dont need to even connect VCC. The only connections required are TX/RX/GND, if you connect TX/RX to the box, reboot and still get no output. Swap TX/RX, you can do that without causing any damage to the box (just make sure that GND is connected correctly).

2.) The usb images are different so the number of records written will also be different. As long as the md5's match up you're good to go.

3.) I dont personally use putty but a good description can be found on setting it up at: http://codeandlife.com/2012/07/01/raspb ... ax3232cpe/. The connection speed and stop bits are the same so you can pretty much follow the "Using Putty to connect to Raspberry Pi" section word for word but substituting Raspberry Pi for Your Sony device.

Of note: We try to be on the forums as much as possible but it is generally quicker if you have an immediate concern to drop by IRC and chat with us. Please if you do ask a question, stick around for more than a few minutes for it to be answered. Also when you join please use "/nick newnickhere" (without the quotes) to change your chat username.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Thanks Zenofex, I was thinking that was the case with the different dd output but just wanting to make sure. Thanks for the wiring insight and link for putty info as well. Now I have something to do when I get home today.
Made in U.S.A.
tech338
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by tech338 »

Do the Sony TVs (NSX-XXGT) have a UART port as well? Will this procedure work the TVs as well as the Blue Ray players?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

tech338 wrote:Do the Sony TVs (NSX-XXGT) have a UART port as well? Will this procedure work the TVs as well as the Blue Ray players?
Yep, it'll work on all the generation 1 Sony GoogleTV devices.

Thanks,
Zenofex
jh13
Android 1.0

Post by jh13 »

jh13 wrote:
zenofex wrote:

Thanks,
Zenofex
Thanks Zenofex, I was thinking that was the case with the different dd output but just wanting to make sure. Thanks for the wiring insight and link for putty info as well. Now I have something to do when I get home today.
Ok, I have successfully rooted this guy....just in time for dinner :-) So, of note...the wiring of the usb UART...all I got on the putty console with the vcc 3.3 connected resulted in garbage on the console so I disconnected the vcc and got the desired password prompt. I also had to change the usb mount once the console was activated. I had to change sdb1 to sdb...then it was all gravy, then got into recovery and updated with the usb 2 image. Now I'm rooted....Time to eat. Thanks again for your help zenofex
Made in U.S.A.