Superuser.apk for X86 GoogleTV

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
Geko45
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: Superuser.apk for X86 GoogleTV

Post by Geko45 »

arex wrote:But what are some of the apps that require superuser privileges that would be practical for use on our GTV devices? Thanks!
Well, my goal is to get a VNC server going on my GTV so I can use another android tablet as sort of a touch interface remote. Maybe even watch live TV on a portable tablet via the VNC connection (long shot).

Getting root, was a big step getting to this, but I've already discovered that the available VNC servers for android still don't work. They probably need native access to the hardware which would mean recompiling for x86.
psych2l
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by psych2l »

Does this mean that apps that require superuser like Adfree will work now?
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

psych2l wrote:Does this mean that apps that require superuser like Adfree will work now?
my guess is yes; but the app may not work on the GTV
TheGreatDahliLlama
Android 1.0

Post by TheGreatDahliLlama »

Adfree will run and update with Superuser, however it did not block any ads in apps or Chrome.
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

TheGreatDahliLlama wrote:Adfree will run and update with Superuser, however it did not block any ads in apps or Chrome.
I can confirm that it appears that the GTV is ignoring the hosts file in \system\etc
Not sure why, but I added my own entry to a local server and it does not translate. Same entry works fine on my tab.
alch3mist
Android 1.0

Post by alch3mist »

Geko45 wrote:
arex wrote:But what are some of the apps that require superuser privileges that would be practical for use on our GTV devices? Thanks!
Well, my goal is to get a VNC server going on my GTV so I can use another android tablet as sort of a touch interface remote. Maybe even watch live TV on a portable tablet via the VNC connection (long shot).

Getting root, was a big step getting to this, but I've already discovered that the available VNC servers for android still don't work. They probably need native access to the hardware which would mean recompiling for x86.
Thats an awesome idea, I'd like to get a VNC set up as well and possibly run it from a windows laptop, have you had any luck?
Sony GTV Tutorials and How To's
http://www.youtube.com/user/DCxALBRECHT/videos
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

OK so I figured out the AdFree issue!

Unlike most android devices apparently our beloved GTV does not use a symlink between /etc and /system/etc. AdFree apparently downloads to /system/etc, BUT android actually use /etc/hosts. Sure enough copy the hosts file from system/etc to /etc and now ad blocking appears to be working in chrome. Also my own redirect entries now work.

Cheers! ;-)
YMMV

P.S. we should be able to create a symlink between the the directories for the host file, I'm not a linux guru, but i'll give this a shot in a bit and report my results.

UPDATE: So this appears to work:
adb to your gtv
cd /system/etc
rm hosts
ln -s /etc/hosts /system/etc/hosts

Then you can re-run adfree and it SHOULD download the file to the right place.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS DOES BAD THINGS TO YOUR DEVICE.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

Adfree still isn't blocking anything on my nsx... ran the above instructions by gottahavit. any1 else seeing this?
TheGreatDahliLlama
Android 1.0

Post by TheGreatDahliLlama »

I got it working on my NSZ, I had to mount the system R/W first. Here is the command I used:

mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

Not sure if that's exactly right, but it let me use the rm command after that. Before it complained that the files were read only.
Hope that helps. BTW, if anyone has the files needed for NTFS please PM me a link. Thanks.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

replaytv5000 wrote:Adfree still isn't blocking anything on my nsx... ran the above instructions by gottahavit. any1 else seeing this?
I uninstalled after reverting back orig hosts file. rebooted, reinstalled. now app is using /data/data/hosts for main ref, but I did notice that upon app updating that file it also updated the /system/etc/hosts. however, /etc/hosts was still 21k, all others were 918k. made a copy of /system/etc/hosts, pasted to /etc, chked permissions on that hosts and it had none, opened it wide (set all chkboxes). check app that supports ads... bam! ad free now working.

thanks for pointing in the right direction gottahavit. Now I since I despise chrome, anyone wanna help me get flash to work on Boat Browser? btw, it is the only browser I have found to work on gtv besides chrome of course. I have tried them all. firefox, maxthon, dolphin, etc... all die w/ fc. Boat & boat mini work, just no flash other than black boxes over functional flash controls (like play/pause, volume)

tia