Superuser.apk for X86 GoogleTV

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
lschroeder
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: Superuser.apk for X86 GoogleTV

Post by lschroeder »

zenofex wrote:Hey everyone, a user came on IRC last night and offered a cash bounty to compile Superuser.apk for the google TV. So with that in mind (and the fact that I'm broke and jobless), I spent the better part of the evening compiling the binary from source. So without further ado:

Steps to install the x86 Superuser.apk and su binary on the unsigned Sony kernel!
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/I%27ve_r ... eruser.apk

Thanks to: Chainsdd (Superuser source), Geko45 (Offered bounty), and [mbm] (Spiritual Guidance)

-Zenofex
Thanks to all of you. I set up the GTV with address of my pc, set the directory of my cmd window to adb directory, adb connect with the address of my GTV, copied the unzip files to the adb directory and executed

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
adb shell reboot
alch3mist
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by alch3mist »

can someone help me with installing this? I have typed in the commands in cmd prompt but it does not recongnize the adb command. My GTV is connected to the router, same as my laptop. Can you do this usb or does it have to be remote? thanks ahead for any help
Sony GTV Tutorials and How To's
http://www.youtube.com/user/DCxALBRECHT/videos
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

Geko45 wrote:
RawisTheGameHhH wrote:so would this read the following if i had the apk on the root of my C

adb push C:\system/app/Superuser.apk?

my guess is that would be incorrect do to the forward and back slashes; any help?
No, no, no... The first parameter is the location of the .apk on your PC. The second paramter is where you want (need) to put it on your device. So, in your case:

adb push C:\Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

And if you had the su binary in the same dir (you need both the Superuser.apk AND the su binary):

adb push C:\su /system/bin/su

And then change the permissions on the su binary with:

adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Then reboot the tablet with the command:

adb shell reboot
thanks much; i will try this later today!
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

icezer0z wrote:can someone help me with installing this? I have typed in the commands in cmd prompt but it does not recongnize the adb command. My GTV is connected to the router, same as my laptop. Can you do this usb or does it have to be remote? thanks ahead for any help
i do mine wirelessly; you have to insert your computer IP address into the debugging settings of your GTV

update: On your GTV Box, go to settings>applicatons>development>debugger IP address and enter your computer's IP address
Last edited by RawisTheGameHhH on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
alch3mist
Android 1.0

Post by alch3mist »

RawisTheGameHhH wrote:
icezer0z wrote:can someone help me with installing this? I have typed in the commands in cmd prompt but it does not recongnize the adb command. My GTV is connected to the router, same as my laptop. Can you do this usb or does it have to be remote? thanks ahead for any help
i do mine wirelessly; you have to insert your computer IP address into the debugging settings of your GTV
ok, do i need to boot into recovery mode to get into the debugging settings?
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

icezer0z wrote:
RawisTheGameHhH wrote:
ok, do i need to boot into recovery mode to get into the debugging settings?
nope; see my above post; i updated it
alch3mist
Android 1.0

Post by alch3mist »

ok thanks but when i type in adb push it says it an unrecognized command? I have no idea on where to go from here. First time ive rooted an Android device lol
what do i need to do from here?

---ok i checked out google and i need the SDK
http://www.londatiga.net/it/how-to-use- ... line-tool/
Last edited by alch3mist on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

icezer0z wrote:ok thanks but when i type in adb push it says it an unrecognized command? I have no idea on where to go from here. First time ive rooted an Android device lol
im a rookie myself; let me try to help you; get the IP of your GoogleTV and from your PC open a command prompt and insert (no quotes):

"adb connect 0.0.0.0" (replace 0.0.0.0 with your GTV IP address)
"adb shell" to get the # and then you can begin to insert the commands for superuser
alch3mist
Android 1.0

Post by alch3mist »

RawisTheGameHhH wrote:
icezer0z wrote:ok thanks but when i type in adb push it says it an unrecognized command? I have no idea on where to go from here. First time ive rooted an Android device lol
im a rookie myself; let me try to help you; get the IP of your GoogleTV and from your PC open a command prompt and insert (no quotes):

"adb connect 0.0.0.0" (replace 0.0.0.0 with your GTV IP address)
"adb shell" to get the # and then you can begin to insert the commands for superuser
awesome man thanks, once i get this SDK downloaded I will try it out

UPDATE: Got it working thanks Rawis!
arex
Android 1.0

Post by arex »

I'm sort of a newbie to this. I understand that certain apps require superuser privileges, and some of those apps are helpful for phones or other portable devices (e.g., Titanium Backup). But what are some of the apps that require superuser privileges that would be practical for use on our GTV devices? Thanks!