NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
Hosemaster
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by Hosemaster »

Tried flashing this last night, everything seemed to go ok, got confirmation the reboot exploit was installed, but once the TV did reboot, there was no sound starting with the boot animation. I reset to factory default, but still appear to have the GTVHacker recovery installed. Where would I start to attempt to install the kernal again?
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

Did this last night and it was very straight forward and easy. My sincere thanks to the developers of this root method! Those of you that are scared or worried about it: I know it might look scary, but it is just typing in commands EXACTLY the way that the tutorial tells you to.

It's nice having Hulu and the networks working on GTV. As others have said, sideloading apps is important to me and I'm sorely missing the "unknown sources" checkbox.

Also, am I supposed to have a superuser.apk or does that need to be pushed somehow?
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

Hosemaster wrote:Tried flashing this last night, everything seemed to go ok, got confirmation the reboot exploit was installed, but once the TV did reboot, there was no sound starting with the boot animation. I reset to factory default, but still appear to have the GTVHacker recovery installed. Where would I start to attempt to install the kernal again?
All a factory reset does is clear you user data. You'd need to reflash the stock image to get rid of the gtvhacker version. I think this is discussed in the first page. That said seems odd you have no sound, but everything else works? If you're using HDMI I would go check the audio settings see if maybe something is configured wrong.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

3.2 is buggy for me. I wish you had a downgrade option for the OS version too. But I digress. Can't thank you's guys enough! I was about ready to donate this damn tv to the cause, I was so frustrated using an unrooted Android! Just a little curious tho... if I can fully restore to sony's recovery, how does it still void the warranty?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

hemanp wrote:Yeah I'm also trying to figure out how to load .apk from a usb drive. Like the others said the option for unknown sources installation is missing. I think it's a pretty important feature.
gottahavit wrote:
jagan_indian9 wrote:
gottahavit wrote:Great work,got it installed very easily.
Couple things
side loading now apparently requires adb? Others had noted the unknown sources box is gone.
HULU? is there something I need to do to get this to work? When I go to hulu it tells me I'm on google tv still.

EDITED: ok changed my user agent in chrome and now hulu works!!
Thanks for the tip, but what is the user agent string you are using to make Hulu work?

Do you need to connect to a PC and adb to side load?
I entered Mozilla/5.0
yes so far only adb from pc seems to let me side load, this is kinda a biggy
anuraj1 wrote:Did this last night and it was very straight forward and easy. My sincere thanks to the developers of this root method! Those of you that are scared or worried about it: I know it might look scary, but it is just typing in commands EXACTLY the way that the tutorial tells you to.

It's nice having Hulu and the networks working on GTV. As others have said, sideloading apps is important to me and I'm sorely missing the "unknown sources" checkbox.

Also, am I supposed to have a superuser.apk or does that need to be pushed somehow?
Sony seems to have removed this option in 3.2, to manually enable it you will need to follow the guide posted at:

http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Enable_N ... n_Sony_GTV

I can confirm that after following the guide apps can be side-loaded through the browser and Astro.

As for a superuser.apk, this would require the author of the app to recompile native code from the app for the GoogleTV (X86 as opposed to ARM), hence why we did not include it.
replaytv5000 wrote:3.2 is buggy for me. I wish you had a downgrade option for the OS version too. But I digress. Can't thank you's guys enough! I was about ready to donate this damn tv to the cause, I was so frustrated using an unrooted Android! Just a little curious tho... if I can fully restore to sony's recovery, how does it still void the warranty?
The big reason to do this now is that soon it will be patched, its better to update to the rooted build now than wait for all the small bugs to be ironed it (as well as other kernels to be released). In regards to the Sony Recovery, even if there is not evidence that you have been on a rooted build most warranties use somewhat of an honor system. The statement that this will void your warranty is meant for the users who are un-aware that modified updates published from a un-authorized third party will void your warranty.
Hosemaster wrote:Tried flashing this last night, everything seemed to go ok, got confirmation the reboot exploit was installed, but once the TV did reboot, there was no sound starting with the boot animation. I reset to factory default, but still appear to have the GTVHacker recovery installed. Where would I start to attempt to install the kernal again?
Some builds do not include an update to the startup splash, and where as the build will revert back to OTA after factory reset the startup image may continue to be the "GTVHacker" logo until flashed with a build that does updates the startup splash. In regards to functionality, all normal bootup functionality is resumed (other than the displaying of the flash screen and the downgraded recovery on factory reset.). To replace the recovery to a non-exploitable version simply re-download and update the OTA (instructions can be found on doing this on the wiki).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

---Sony seems to have removed this option in 3.2, to manually enable it you will need to follow the guide posted at:
Thanks for the link, I will try this now, but I'm pretty sure this option was there before running this root procedure(but I could be wrong). I know I was able to load apps.
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

zenofex wrote:
anuraj1 wrote:Did this last night and it was very straight forward and easy. My sincere thanks to the developers of this root method! Those of you that are scared or worried about it: I know it might look scary, but it is just typing in commands EXACTLY the way that the tutorial tells you to.

Sony seems to have removed this option in 3.2, to manually enable it you will need to follow the guide posted at:

http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Enable_N ... n_Sony_GTV

I can confirm that after following the guide apps can be side-loaded through the browser and Astro.

As for a superuser.apk, this would require the author of the app to recompile native code from the app for the GoogleTV (X86 as opposed to ARM), hence why we did not include it.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Thank you for the prompt reply. Can I use a terminal emulator directly on the GTV Box or am I supposed to connect it to my PC somehow and open an ADB shell?
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

Worked perfectly thanks!
Hosemaster
Android 1.0

Post by Hosemaster »

zenofex wrote:
Some builds do not include an update to the startup splash, and where as the build will revert back to OTA after factory reset the startup image may continue to be the "GTVHacker" logo until flashed with a build that does updates the startup splash. In regards to functionality, all normal bootup functionality is resumed (other than the displaying of the flash screen and the downgraded recovery on factory reset.). To replace the recovery to a non-exploitable version simply re-download and update the OTA (instructions can be found on doing this on the wiki).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to go back to stock recovery just yet, but would like to try again to see if I can get the sound issues resolved. With the downgraded recovery already installed, would I just start with USB4? Any ideas on why the sound would not work on the rooted kernel?
iconformed
Android 1.0

Post by iconformed »

Thanks for this :o ! Have been bummed about not being able to do much with Google TV, has been an excellent Blu Ray box but there's so much more potential.

Anyone have any idea if granted root access there'd be a possibility of removing region restrictions? I'd imagine so, if no one knows I'll have to play around when I get home