NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
alch3mist
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by alch3mist »

just got my NSZ-GT1 installed, waiting on other one to ship in. Time to play!

Really recommend the Win32Imager program...makes it a lot more simple
Sony GTV Tutorials and How To's
http://www.youtube.com/user/DCxALBRECHT/videos
arex
Android 1.0

Post by arex »

I ran the exploit a couple of days after it was released using the command prompt and a single USB stick. Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch (I did not get some of the error messages the directions indicated I would, however). Thank you to all the devs who put this together!

Since the GT1 was acting primarily as a blu-ray player on a TV with no cable/OTA, and I canceled my Netflix streaming to protest the price hike, the ability to run Hulu has increased the usefulness of the TV/GT1 tenfold!
avoidtheboyd
Android 1.0

Post by avoidtheboyd »

avoidtheboyd wrote:Everything works except FOX and ABC TV shows. FOX is saying it needs a newer version of flash. ABC is playing, I hear sound, but the player is covered by a black box. I tried different user agents and no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

And thanks for the hack!!

As an update, I still can't get Fox working after many hours of trying and sideloading, etc. ABC will work if you can guess where the fullscreen button is hiding under the black box.
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

Zenofex,

So Reading the boot logic for this exploit, and the fact that we are booting an unsecure kernel using kexec, what are the odds we can get this process to boot windows either off another partition or off a usb drive?

I know we'd have to fight the driver issue, but this could be cool. I'm willing to try if you have any idea how I should start. I'm just starting to read up on kexec.
jakoh
Android 1.0

Post by jakoh »

jakoh wrote:
bigshotproducer wrote: Edit: I just installed 2012012601, i will remake usb stick and retry.

So you after the update you were able to flash back to the older build and root from there? :)

After the root (that didnt work because chrome kept crashing) i was able to flash back to 2012012601. I will root again from there.
so i redid the mod, everything is gravy again. now when can we expect a dvr app that uses an external hard drive so Tivo can sue us for patent infringement? i dont have agoogle tv development sdk. how would one get a handle on the feed without documentation.
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

By no means do I mean to deter you from trying, because I'd live to see this happen, but I am pretty sure that the HDMI feed never actually is accessible by the OS. If there is any Its probably in the HDMI driver and I'd bet the stream is encrypted with HDCP. Personally I'd start with the GTV source code and look for HDMI code.

BUT GOOD LUCK!.
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

maybe some how we can get it to talk to the DirecTV receivers like it integrates with Dish?
jakoh
Android 1.0

Post by jakoh »

gottahavit wrote:By no means do I mean to deter you from trying, because I'd live to see this happen, but I am pretty sure that the HDMI feed never actually is accessible by the OS. If there is any Its probably in the HDMI driver and I'd bet the stream is encrypted with HDCP. Personally I'd start with the GTV source code and look for HDMI code.

BUT GOOD LUCK!.
It definitely doesnt seem that google tv doesnt touch the hdmi because there is a clear picture frame rate degredation after pluggin in the google tv blu-ray settop box.
Where do i get the source code?
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

download the google developer sdk, there there are links and instructions on getting the android source code and compiling your own os for your own hardware. This will inclulde all the code for android, and GTV, it will not include device specific drivers as these are not open source. I do not know if the HDMI interface is part of the open source code or not.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by replaytv5000 »

Opened a new thread for your screen caps... Post your view on the fully rooted Sony GTV