NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by zenofex »

Greetings users,

It's my pleasure to announce our latest release "The GTVHacker Sony Recovery Downgrader & Rebooter". This method will allow you to downgrade your Sony Blu-Ray GoogleTV Blu-Ray Player or Flat Panel to run unsigned kernels. The guide and information about the process can be found at our wiki:

Guide
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/Running_ ... n_Sony_GTV

About
http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/About_So ... ter_(Root)

The process in the guide above will walk you through downgrading the kernel to an exploitable version. Then using that particular exploit to hijack the devices boot process where we reload to a new kernel completely bypassing the signatures normally used by the system. This process will happen automatically each time the box is powered on and the USB drives required for the install are not needed again. After loading our attached unsigned kernel you will notice a new splash screen (featuring the Sony and GTVHacker logo) as well as the following perks.
  • Modified flash plugin with custom per box flash string for Content Provider Bypass.
    Crippled Update to prevent box from receiving automatic updates.
    Completely RW system partitions
    Full ADB Root
    No more signed modules
    Among a few other surprises.
Between the speediness of the 3.2 upgrade and this we will finally have the box we've always wanted from the GoogleTV. I recommend this update to everyone as it only requires 4 USB sticks and is a 100% softmod (No soldering required!).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Attachments
sony.png
sony.png (15.67 KiB) Viewed 91870 times
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
tmdavis
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-40GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by tmdavis »

I can't wait to try this! If I decide that I want to go back to stock at some point will I be able to do so? Will the hardware reset under settings work for this purpose?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: NSX-40GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by zenofex »

tmdavis wrote:I can't wait to try this! If I decide that I want to go back to stock at some point will I be able to do so? Will the hardware reset under settings work for this purpose?
Yes, although this disables automatic updates, this does not stop you from updating from USB manually or simply resetting settings in recovery (to revert back to OTA).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by cj_000 »

Yes, as Zenofex said - you can go back, just install the latest OTA from USB and you will be set. The backup stored in recovery may get erased upon install of the rebooter, however.
tmdavis
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by tmdavis »

cj_000 wrote:Yes, as Zenofex said - you can go back, just install the latest OTA from USB and you will be set. The backup stored in recovery may get erased upon install of the rebooter, however.
Gotcha. Worked as advertised. I've installed this on both of my Google TVs. I have a NSX-GT1 (46") and a NSZ-GT1. As discussed in the known issues section, I had a little trouble with Wi-Fi. I waited almost ten minutes on the NSX-GT1. Then I pressed ctl-alt-del on the controller and it let it reboot. Worked without a hiccup after that.

I'm loving this so far! I haven't had an issue yet. Thank you so much for making this happen! This is the Google TV that I thought I was buying so long ago!

Tim
pyro_mx
Android 1.0

Post by pyro_mx »

thanks, now I have it rooted
pyro_mx
Android 1.0

Post by pyro_mx »

what if the unknown sources box doesnt pop up and no application settings
pyro_mx
Android 1.0

Post by pyro_mx »

For security your device is set to block installation of application not source in android market.... and no aplications settings
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Got bored, was reading that there is no NTFS support on the Sony GTV. Scavenged from the Revue, and here you are:

http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Sony_NTFS

As I state there, it's very quick and dirty, someone should fix the vold.fstab, but it works!
mcd2000
Ice Cream Sandwich
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by mcd2000 »

It would be cool, if you could add libraries to the system which are nessasary for running libs compiled by the latest NDK. :-)
ViMu Player
ViMu/GTVBox Google+ page
My devices: Logitech Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, Sony NSZ-GS7, Vizio Co-Star, Hisense Pulse (rooted), ASUS Qube and some others...