NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

can you just use 1 USB thumb drive and copy the files each time? FAT32 or exFAT file format?
theone_s_me
Android 1.0

Post by theone_s_me »

Hello

i was very happy about the root, thanks for everyone who was part of it.. the thing is that i started getting some problems after the root, blueray eject button lamp hang after removing a dvd, also couldnt control comcast dvr with sonys remote, so i reverted back to official 3.2 by installing it from recovery, but the splash screen still gtvhacker, is there any other way to remove it???

Thank you
bjorkyou
Android 1.0

Post by bjorkyou »

After I started the downgrade, in step 5, I did not get an error but proceeded as if I did and followed the instructions and it all worked out. Once All was completed, I notices that the wireless network would not come up (kept searching) even after 12 minutes. I decided to hard-wire just to test and when I went to set up wireless later, my wifi signal was there. Also, the menu from the GTV did not show on my 1080p tv, so i connected it to another tv that had 480 and 720 so i could do the downgrade. ***VERY important!*** I did not see this in the instructions anywhere, I may have missed them, but when all was done, and I went to hulu, it STILL said it would not work on Google TV. I figured out that if you go into the chrome settings and change the window to "generic", it all worked perfect. I checked ABC, NBC, HULU, Epix, etc. All work great. Thanks. I'm donating now.
daproy
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by daproy »

First of all, thanks for this!!! Great work!

I am also seeing some minor issues with the unsigned kernel (I am assuming it's the kernel). Can't control dish dvr from remote etc.

Rather than everyone reverting back to the factory build, can't you switch between signed (sda1) and unsigned (sda8) kernels using another script payload from USB in recovery that swaps out the e2fsck script with the original binary? and vice versa to get back to unsigned when/if needed.

cp /tmp/mnt/diskb1/copy/busybox /tmp/busybox
chmod 777 /tmp/busybox
# for original kernel
/tmp/busybox cp -f /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck-bak /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck
# for unsigned kernel
/tmp/busybox cp -f /tmp/mnt/diskb1/copy/e2fsck /tmp/mnt/sda1/sbin/e2fsck
rlindabury
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by rlindabury »

I guess the unasked question is, will you be doing this for the Logitech Revue? I'm sure we are ALL looking forward to this! :-)

Much thanks if so!
dave01568
Android 1.0

Post by dave01568 »

Can someone make 2 how to videos
1) show us how to hack/root
2) show us how to revert back to factory

Question: after gtvhaker root is done is the gtv look like android build or chrome build
What is the actual firmware/ui ? Thanks

A video by gtvhacker YouTube channel would be great!
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

dave01568 wrote:Can someone make 2 how to videos
1) show us how to hack/root
2) show us how to revert back to factory

Question: after gtvhaker root is done is the gtv look like android build or chrome build
What is the actual firmware/ui ? Thanks

A video by gtvhacker YouTube channel would be great!
I won't comment on my opinion of instructional videos vs read instructions.

As for what the device looks like after rooted... it looks just like it did before you rooted except for the splash screen. This is just root, the software is still the same except for the chrome/hulu hack.
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

I will probably hold out on this until the bugs get worked out
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

Some things to note on this root:

1) We don't have SU so it looks like we can't do system mods from with in the GTV, and they must be done with ADB.
2) If you have ADB you can now "freeze" any system apps you don't want running. For instance I noticed the Dish app that I don't use because I have DirecTV, hooks up to many system events and is always running. No idea if this will actually improve performance or not, but locking out uneeded apps can't be a bad idea ;-)
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

Zenofex wrote:
replaytv5000 wrote:3.2 is buggy for me. I wish you had a downgrade option for the OS version too. But I digress. Can't thank you's guys enough! I was about ready to donate this damn tv to the cause, I was so frustrated using an unrooted Android! Just a little curious tho... if I can fully restore to sony's recovery, how does it still void the warranty?
The big reason to do this now is that soon it will be patched, its better to update to the rooted build now than wait for all the small bugs to be ironed it (as well as other kernels to be released). In regards to the Sony Recovery, even if there is not evidence that you have been on a rooted build most warranties use somewhat of an honor system. The statement that this will void your warranty is meant for the users who are un-aware that modified updates published from a un-authorized third party will void your warranty.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Thx for the reply. Looking to root my 24" Sony this weekend. I have many issues with 3.2. Speediness does not make up for them either. My background on this device (and my other android devices) is to eliminate the need for a PC / Windows environment. Along with my Nexus ONE & my Acer A500, I have almost achieved that goal. So with that in mind, I need persistence to be an overriding factor. Practically all of the settings that stayed persistent in 3.1, have all pulled a 180 in 3.2. Unacceptable.

Long story short, I would like to re-implement 3.1 before or during your downgrade... is that possible? I know with my nexus, I can reflash a rom of whatever flavor I want. It would awesome to have my 3.1 back, with your RW ability.

My big concern is the current state of the device. There are probably checks in place that make sure if I am on 3.2 to not let me downgrade to 3.1, no? But if I root w/ your method, then downgrade OS to 3.1, that will overwrite your recovery? So if I am correct, I would need to run your exploit twice? Exploit on 3.2, restore 3.1, then exploit again? Will this work in your estimation?

PS: Chrome blows... I run Boat and Boat mini browsers. They just don't support flash on unrooted GTV. Hopefully not an issue after exploit.
Last edited by replaytv5000 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.