NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by anuraj1 »

Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this. You guys have made Google TV what it was meant to be. Quick question: well doing this keep us on the older version of GTV or can we upgrade to honeycomb and keep root?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

anuraj1 wrote:Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this. You guys have made Google TV what it was meant to be. Quick question: well doing this keep us on the older version of GTV or can we upgrade to honeycomb and keep root?
When we use the term downgrade, all we are downgrading is the recovery version. You stay on the current OTA which is Android HC 3.2
jugglerlkr wrote:That's just great, but two qestions:
1) Could you please add to wiki files and some short howto how to get back to official firmware. I don't have any OTA updates on usb sticks and it is not obvious how to prepare them
2) Can we get back original sony's bootloader or warranty voided forever and there is no homebrew method to get back to stock?
1.) I've added the links to the most recent OTA and I believe there were already instructions on performing a USB update on the wiki. I have made these a little easier to find by placing them in the wiki page for each device.
2.) You warranty is definitely voided the moment you install our update. You can however still revert back to a 100% factory box by either re-installing the most recent OTA or by resetting back to factory default through the recovery.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

zenofex wrote:
anuraj1 wrote:Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this. You guys have made Google TV what it was meant to be. Quick question: well doing this keep us on the older version of GTV or can we upgrade to honeycomb and keep root?
When we use the term downgrade, all we are downgrading is the recovery version. You stay on the current OTA which is Android HC 3.2
Ah, gotcha. Can't wait to try this when I get home from work!
psych2l
Android 1.0

Post by psych2l »

I'm having a bit of trouble actually downgrading the kernel. I was able to flash the four USB drives successfully, however when I go into recovery and press 3 after I put USB1 in the front slot, it asks:

Do you really want to update the system?

I press 1 for yes, get an updating popup but then it says Update Data error. Has anybody experienced this before?

I also noticed when I flashed USB1 I got 1280+0 records in and out which is different from the example in the wiki which has 10240+0 in and out. Does that matter? Thanks!

Edit: Figured out that's what it's supposed to say, everythings working great!

Edit 2: Is anybody missing the "Install from unknown sources" option in the application settings?
dave01568
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by dave01568 »

Thank you for all your hard work! With this root/ exploit what kind of things can we expect to be developed. I imagine themes, Hulu CBS bypass ect. Should I create a new subject about this topic?

I created a topic in off topic called now what? http://forum.gtvhacker.com/off-topic/topic647.html please let us know what you have to say. Thanks
Speedoguy
Android 1.0

Post by Speedoguy »

ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, I am horrible with dos, is it possible to just drag and drop each file onto the corresponding flash drive, or do I have to use dos?
dave01568
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by dave01568 »

Speedoguy wrote:ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, I am horrible with dos, is it possible to just drag and drop each file onto the corresponding flash drive, or do I have to use dos?

You can drag and drop folders into dos prop and paths will automatically point to location of file
Speedoguy
Android 1.0

Post by Speedoguy »

Thanks for the response, Ive been trying to figure it out, I'm a bit lost, I hope someone makes a youtube vid

Glad someone has started to hack this thing, great work!
jagan_indian9
Android 1.0

Post by jagan_indian9 »

Is there a way to enable installation of apks. Looks like the option to install apks outside the Market is hidden?
utmed95
Android 1.0

Post by utmed95 »

I must be really stupid!!!! Do I actually need to rewrite some of the code or do I just put the four .img files onto the corresponding usb drives and then follow the instructions. Thanks in advance