NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
bigshotproducer
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by bigshotproducer »

Sent to APO. Should make it just fine...
Last edited by bigshotproducer on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by replaytv5000 »

Shweet, thanks big prod. My darkness has been lifted... ironically, just in time for bed
sysmai
Android 1.0

Post by sysmai »

this device is the first i have not had full root on. so forgive me if this is incorrect. i saw when messing with adb and su and superuser.apk that the uid is set to 0 for root but it shows the group as unknown. so if that is the case then setting permissions is pointless if the owner is root:root. if correct can we just do busybox groupadd? assign root to the uid 0. that would make since as to why nothing sees the su binary it has no group association.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

Sounds like you have a decent plan of attack. How'd it come out?
sysmai
Android 1.0

Post by sysmai »

bad...seems my noobish knowledge of the coding side of android had me thinking linux. instead of having /etc/passwd or /etc/groups it has its GID and UID hardcoded everywhere in that when you write an app it must fall into these groups upon build or its a no go. you can change permissions but you can't add users or groups to android except during the actual system build. At least that is what I read here hxxp://blog.appuarium.com/2011/06/23/how-android-enforces-android-permission-internet/. I continue to gain more and more respect for all of the developers that are helping dummies like me have a better system than what the money hungry companies offer. Coding is a pain on its own with all the dependencies, but modding and porting...good Lord it is like a nightmare with an offset of 0x8E0WHATTHE****. Can't you just say "mount /system with read-write and let these programs do stuff to it" "Oh and my password is I_paid_for_this_with_my_money_so_don't_tell_me_you_locked_my_bootloader" Sorry for the venting, but seriously what is so hard about making a device that is capable of doing things do them. Thats what its there for. I bought my truck, it gets me from A to B. Thats why I bought it. Thats why they sold it. They didn't keep my speakers padlocked so I couldn't take them out without their key. Wow im still going..I'm done.
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

can someone please tell me where to get the old version so that i can restore to a previous version if i dont like the root???
tmcdandgtv
Android 1.0

Post by tmcdandgtv »

Quick question, to block the new sony OTA update
I'll turn off my wifi and disconnect the cable,
I should be able to do the root without any
problems. Is my thinking correct?
replys are appreciated.
rebu2007
Android 1.0

Post by rebu2007 »

Hello everyone!! I bought a NSZ-GT1 a week ago. It is still on its way home. I've read about the recent update that prevents rooting. I've also read about the manual update process using a USB drive. So, if my unit arrives with a version below 3.2 I should use the manual method to update to 3.2 so I can root. If I get the latest OTA update, then I will not be able to downgrade using the manual method. Am I getting this right?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
sysmai
Android 1.0

Post by sysmai »

correct u will go strait past the exploit. manually update first then usb
Speedoguy
Android 1.0

Post by Speedoguy »

ok, I have tried this many times,
(im using a mac) when I go through all the steps, it tells me the files have transferred, I eject the usb, and when I plug it in to the gtv it tells me there is nothing on the usb, if I plug the usb back into my mac it tels me it can no longer read the usb, and it wants me to reformat / erase it and start over

what am I doing wrong?

any help would be great

thanks

joe